• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Custom 1968 Custom Manhattan Midnight

Base6

Hi all,

I once owned a 2004 Gibson USA LP Standard in the limited edition color Manhattan Midnight with an ebony fingerboard. You propably now them. I sold it as I discoverd the far better better tonal qualities and playabillity of the Custom Shop models and own several of those now. However, although it is not much conservative or vintage, I still think that the Manhattan Midnight Les Paul was the most beautiful I ever saw and the ebony fingerboard also offered something special next to the rosewood fingerboard les pauls I also had.

Now I was thinking, as dealers still have chance to order a limited series of 25 pieces, how many people here would be interested here into committing to buy a Custom Shop 1968 "Historic" reissue LP Custom with bright white multi ply bindings, bright white plastic parts (PU-rings, switch washer, jack plate), no pickgaurd installed, a light weight body (no more than about 9 lbs.), nickel hardware, nickel grovers and a highly figured flame maple top in Manhattan Midnight with a transparant dark blue back color? Nothing historic about it or vintage correct, but according to Gibson, a LP Custom 1968 reissue in another finish nonetheless. Could also be an R9 in the same color BTW...

If we could gather enough people wiling to commit, we might be able to interest a dealer to order them. Who's with me?

Cheers,

Michiel

Last edited:

Zoomer

Hi all,

I once owned a 2004 Gibson USA LP Standard in the limited edition color Manhattan Midnight with an ebony fingerboard. You propably now them. I sold it as I discoverd the far better better tonal qualities and playabillity of the Custom Shop models and own several of those now. However, although it is not much conservative or vintage, I still think that the Manhattan Midnight Les Paul was the most beautiful I ever saw and the ebony fingerboard also offered something special next to the rosewood fingerboard les pauls I also had.

Now I was thinking, as dealers still have chance to order a limited series of 25 pieces, how many people here would be interested here into committing to buy a Custom Shop 1968 "Historic" reissue LP Custom with bright white multi ply bindings, bright white plastic parts (PU-rings, switch washer, jack plate), no pickgaurd installed, a light weight body (no more than about 9 lbs.), nickel hardware, nickel grovers and a highly figured flame maple top in Manhattan Midnight with a transparant dark blue back color? Nothing historic about it or vintage correct, but according to Gibson, a LP Custom 1968 reissue in another finish nonetheless. Could also be an R9 in the same color BTW...

If we could gather enough people wiling to commit, we might be able to interest a dealer to order them. Who's with me?

Cheers,

Michiel

That is a cool idea but I think your better off trying to find one used - it might take some time but I think you will eventually find one. You might end up paying a dealer $5000 for it. I would love a blueburst standard - you can see I photoshoped one of my historics into blue in my sig pic. Blues are very rare for les pauls I wonder why - they look gorgeous in blue.

:2zone,

Zoomer

Trans-Am

...hey if auto buffs can do it?....sure as hell we can.....Group Buy???:worm

Knowing it'll be a '68? I'd probably be interested as long as the price is just right.:hmm

Peace!!:hippy

Burrmanchu

That is a cool idea but I think your better off trying to find one used - it might take some time but I think you will eventually find one. You might end up paying a dealer $5000 for it. I would love a blueburst standard - you can see I photoshoped one of my historics into blue in my sig pic. Blues are very rare for les pauls I wonder why - they look gorgeous in blue.

Zoomer
Man you just broke my heart dude! I didn't know your avatar was 'shopped I just thought you had a badass Blue Burst!:rofl
If what Base6 is talking about looks anything like that SIGN ME UP.
:salude

Zoomer

Man you just broke my heart dude! I didn't know your avatar was 'shopped I just thought you had a badass Blue Burst!:rofl
If what Base6 is talking about looks anything like that SIGN ME UP.
:salude

Well if it looks like that it's easily worth $5000

DSC03747-1.jpg

Burrmanchu

:lol
Shop'd or not that's the coolest thing I've ever seen...
It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.
waynes-world-fender-stratocaster-ex.jpg

Base6

Well, what I am up to is indeed organizing a group-buy. I have contacted two gibson dealers in the US to ask if they are willing to participate, what the costs would be, lead time and wha the terms would be. I have not been replied yet, but I don't see any reason why this couldn't work.

So we are going for a Historic series 1968 reissue Les Paul Custom in a Manahttan Midnight finish with nickel hardware (Grovers, PU's, ABR-1, Stopbar and jackplate), bright white bindings and plastic (pick-up rings, switch washer), no pickgaurd mounted, black reflector (chrome) top hats, BB1 and BB2 pick-ups, long neck tenon, non-weight relieved bodies, light weight up to 9lbs., and a highly figured maple top.

If you are interested, please e-mail me personally and I'll set things up. Do realize that signing up might mean a non-refundable downpayment with the gibson dealer that will order them might be necessary.

We need 25 people to make this happen... I am number 1. Who's next?

Base6

Zoomer

Zoomer,
The thing is, they are not out there. There might be a one-off somewhere, but there is no chance you'll find it.

MeHereNow

I just found one of these "not out there" Les Pauls.
It's even in the Netherlands, gozer!
Price is ok.
Go ahead, indulge yourself, another guitar is always a primary neccesity, preferably every month.
Which im still trying to explain to the misses of the house:)

http://www.gitaarmarkt.nl/index.php?ct=elecgit&md=details&id=116711

And a 68 Custom with those features you described would be seriously f'ing awesome!!!

Base6

I just found one of these "not out there" Les Pauls.
It's even in the Netherlands, gozer!
Price is ok.
Go ahead, indulge yourself, another guitar is always a primary neccesity, preferably every month.
Which im still trying to explain to the misses of the house:)

http://www.gitaarmarkt.nl/index.php?ct=elecgit&md=details&id=116711

And a 68 Custom with those features you described would be seriously f'ing awesome!!!

That is a Gibson USA Limited edition LP std in Pacific Reef, so still not the one I said is not out there. The whole point is having a Custom Shop, with its superior qaulity compared to Gison USA, Les Paul Custom. I don't believe the custom shop ever did guitars in Manhattan Midnight. But I'd like to be proven wrong. So I am still going with the specs mentioned.

Toch bedankt! ;-)

I am serious on trying to get this organized. So if there are more people interested, please contact me.

ckiz

Blue Les Pauls have never caught on. Try to name someone who plays one...

On the other hand, I love them...have two Custom Shop Class 5s in transparent blue. Stunning! :wow

Base6

Blue Les Pauls have never caught on. Try to name someone who plays one...

On the other hand, I love them...have two Custom Shop Class 5s in transparent blue. Stunning! :wow

I saw John Fogerty plays a blue PRS Single Cut. Does that count? But if there aren't any around, chances grow pretty slim to see anybody famous play one.

But I am convinced there will be at least 24 people who like blue guitars like you and me.

Last edited:

GotTheSilver

Any decent pictures of a Manhattan Midnight Les Paul? The pics I am finding on the internet are all pretty crappy.

Base6

Any decent pictures of a Manhattan Midnight Les Paul? The pics I am finding on the internet are all pretty crappy.

Sure! Here's my old Gibson USA Limited Edition LP Standard in manhattan midnight

Last edited:

LPLord

Hey Base6, a '68 re-issue in blue(not necessarily ManhMidnt)would indeed
be beautiful. I have seen one auctioned on Ebay around 2005. I only saw it
after the auction was over. It was a blue flametop with black sides and back.There have been so many small runs for the '68RIs. I am contantly asking dealers if they have one in a special finish. I have seen two Customs in
a gorgeous royal blue(flametop),but they were regular,not '68RIs. I am glad
that there are some that want something other than a regular sunburst(of any shade)on an LP.