The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Fret wire on r9 vs r8

What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?

Re: Fret wire on r9 vs r8

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearfishin View Post
    What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?
    My R7, R8's and R9's all have the same fret wire.

Zoomer

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!

There is NO difference. They've used the same wire for a number of years.

The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.

Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.
    That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?

R9.

Is there any chance that Gibson does use different size wire sometimes?
    I know they're all the same but a few guys at the other forum kept insisting that some of their newer reissues have different size wire.

One guy said his (can't remember the exact year) 2005 R7 had thinner frets than his R9. One other guy said his R7BB has lower frets than his R8.

Every reissue I've played has had the same sized frets. Never played a '90s historic.

All Access/Backstage Pass Black58's Avatar

That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?
    '58 into early '59 was smaller.