The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

1955 Les Paul Junior - Stamp on Top Edge of Headstock

The recent thread regarding the 1955-1956 Les Paul Junior black serial numbers prompted me to post this question.

I have owned a 1955 Junior for many years, and purchased it from the original owner in Canada.

In the photo below, you can see the faint "MADE IN THE USA" stamp above the serial number - something that Gibson did from the late 1920s thru the 1950s on guitars slated for export outside of the United States.

One thing I've often wondered - - what is the significance of the impressed letter/number code (H 499) on the top edge of the headstock?

Was this done at the factory?

Could it be an inventory number that was applied by the music store?

Have any of you ever seen an impressed letter/number code like this on other Gibson guitars?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

yeti

Re: 1955 Les Paul Junior - Stamp on Top Edge of Headstock

Yeah, my friend bought a 52 Goldtop in 1984 and it has a number that shouldn't be there. I mentioned it in an earlier thread but nobody had any real clues as to it's origin.
    Here's a pic

Quote Originally Posted by 1955Junior View Post
    The recent thread regarding the 1955-1956 Les Paul Junior black serial numbers prompted me to post this question.

I have owned a 1955 Junior for many years, and purchased it from the original owner in Canada.

In the photo below, you can see the faint "MADE IN THE USA" stamp above the serial number - something that Gibson did from the late 1920s thru the 1950s on guitars slated for export outside of the United States.

One thing I've often wondered - - what is the significance of the impressed letter/number code (H 499) on the top edge of the headstock?

Was this done at the factory?

Could it be an inventory number that was applied by the music store?

Have any of you ever seen an impressed letter/number code like this on other Gibson guitars?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

I doubt that left the factory that way.
    Perhaps someone [like the military] marked them after purchase.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

See the USA just abouve the ink stamp. I think this was a dealer run or order.
    Top carves are sexy

It's fairly common to see "made in USA" stamped on American made guitars of this era that were originally exported. I currently have a '55 Martin D-28 with the same stamp on back of the headstock that went to Canada.

I think Tom is correct that the other stamp on the edge may have been some sort of inventory number, possibly for the military (or maybe a college/university).

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

I could swear I have seen that guitar somewhere! And maybe have even played it.

Quote Originally Posted by retrobob View Post
    I could swear I have seen that guitar somewhere! And maybe have even played it.
    I believe that you have Retrobob