• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does Gibson still use a REAL Nitrocellulose Finish to the wood.....

Neil Weiher

Bear in mind that Dupont pretty much owned the industrial nitro lacquer business from the 20's through the end of it's legal use with vehicle finishes. Duco was Dupont's nitro and Dulux was the acrylic lacquer.

Fender used Duco and Dulux.

Gibson primarily shot nothing but nitro up 'til a point in the '60's.

Thin is the deal with nitro. Also Gibson used paste fillers in finishing. Dyed paste fillers for walnut and cherry. The dyed paste fillers and nitro clears resulted in a bleed that was unique.

The thicker finishes I have noted in '50-'60 LP's would be the goldtop color areas. With LP's the 'burst finishes are quite thin compared to later pieces.

I'm certain Gibson can rightfully claim to shoot a "nitro" formulation. I don't believe it's the same mil thickness or characteristic as the true vintage stuff.

My final thought is that a finish that compliments the tone of an instrument would be preferred over one that dampens positive tone quality.
I sprayed ,, Dupont 50 years ago !! if it helps anyone here ,, Dulux was enamel ,,and Duco (nitro) then came Lucite Was Acrylic Lacquer ,Centari was acrylic enamel ,, thanks Neil