• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Has Died at 94

BadMotorScooter

R.I.P. to the inventor of the greatest guitar ever! There should be a salute where everyone that owns a Les Paul plugs in at a specific time simultaniously to be heard around the world in his honor.

roadhog96

:3zone :3zone I applaud you Les, thanks for all you have done for the music world. You will be sadly missed by all of us. I still remember watching you and Mary back in the 50's in black and white TV. Thanks for the nice Les Paul guitar also. "RIP"

dean69

The Wizard of Waukesha - rest in peace! Thanks to you my life is filled with guitar tunes.

Jp

toneshun

R.I.P. Les Paul. Great player, Innovator, & inventor of things musicians today take for granted. He's the name behind the best guitar ever!
les_paul_5216435.jpg

LOVED that finger i'm seeing Les saying "F@ck U, Grim Ripper!!" in that picture
:dude:

i was so shocked when my guitar buddy told me about it just now~~

R.I.P., Les, you make ALOT of people happy for the most of the 20th century while you're here, and will continue to do so in the future everytime someone pickup YOUR guitar :salude

**i was just playing alot with my LPC blackbeauty lately and just prop it up on the stand to gaze at her sexy curves... thanks for making these beauties for us, Mr. Paul :salude

guitcar

i had the privilege to meet him august 13 2007 ! rest in peace lester,you made the world a better place

mikev

R.I.P. to the inventor of the greatest guitar ever! There should be a salute where everyone that owns a Les Paul plugs in at a specific time simultaniously to be heard around the world in his honor.

Much better than a candle! :jim
What an amazing life. RIP.

Dr Mauz

I just heard. Together with Leo Fender, he was one of America's great inventors. Rest in peace Mr Polfus.

hi-watt357

Thank you, Les, for all of your innovations and the guitars that bear your name! :3zone

:rip

Mike M.

As others here have said.....what an amazing, wonderful life he had. The places he's been, the people he's met and the contibutions he made that have brought meaning and purpose to our lives.

God keep you, Les.

marc1kim

Here's is a timeline of his life taken from the Rock Hall of Fame:

TIMELINE
June 9, 1915: Lester William Polsfuss – a.k.a. Les Paul – is born in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

1928: Les Paul begins performing country music as “Rhubarb Red” at the age of 13.

1939: Les Paul’s jazz trio performs at the White House at the request of President Roosevelt.

1941: Les Paul invents the first solidbody electric guitar.

1946: Les Paul temporarily drops out of music to work on a new guitar sound and recording style.

1947: The technique of multitracking is introduced to the world when Les Paul releases his first eight-track recordings.

1948: Les Paul nearly dies when his car skids off a bridge in a snowstorm.

1949: Les Paul marries singer Mary Ford, with whom he forms a highly successful musical duo.

1950: The Les Paul Show, featuring Paul, Ford and rhythm guitarist Eddie Stapleton, debuts on NBC Radio.

1951: “How High the Moon,” by Les Paul and Mary Ford, becomes a #1 single.

1952: The Les Paul gold-top solidbody electric guitar is brought to the market by Gibson Guitars.

1953: “Vaya Con Dios,” by Les Paul and Mary Ford, becomes a #1 single. The song’s title translates as “May God Be With You.”

1954: Les Paul commissions Ampex to build the first eight-track tape recorder. It features a head, designed by Paul, that can record or play back tracks. Paul’s “Sel-Sync” (Selective Synchronization) design becomes the industry standard for 30 years.

1961: Gibson introduces the new Les Paul model, which has design changes made without Paul’s knowledge. At his request, it is renamed the Gibson SG, and the guitarist temporarily drops his endorsement contract with the guitar maker.

1967: Les Paul Now!, which features updated version of the guitarist’s earlier hits, is released on London Records.

1976: Chester and Lester, and album of guitar duets by Les Paul and Chet Atkins, is released on RCA. It will win a Grammy Award for Best Country Instrumental Performance.

1978: Les Paul and Mary Ford are inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

1983: Les Paul receives the Trustees Award from the Recording Academy in recognition of his “significant contributions to the field of reocrding.”

1984: Les Paul begins a Monday-evening residency at a Greenwich Village club called Fat Tuesday, which will continue until 1995.

January 20, 1988: Les Paul is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the 3rd annual induction dinner. Jeff Beck is his presenter.

February 2005: Les Paul is inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.

June 7, 2005: The Best of the Capitol Masters: 90th Birthday Edition, a remastered collection of Les Paul and Mary Ford’s classic Fifties recordings, is released.

August 30, 2005: American Made/World Played, credited to Les Paul & Friends, is released on Capitol Records. It includes appearances by Eric Clapton, Joe Perry, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards and Buddy Guy.

May 9, 2007: A film documentary entitled Chasing Sound: Les Paul at 90 debuts in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

November 10-15, 2008: Les Paul is honored as the 2008 American Music Master, part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum’s annual series.

August 13, 2009: At age 94, Les Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital.