The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 57
  1. #1

    Faded refinish Les Pual

    After thinking it over and over i decided to do my first les paul refinish to my heavily relic les pual, all the stain and faded was done by hand with NO SPRAY GUNS, the lacquered finish was done with a spray can and polished by hand too.

    Hope you like it,The flames really got enhanced and i love it and think i will do nothing more to this baby........after I'm done with the back and sides.



    Sanded body, ready for staining:



    First stage of staining:



    Final polished top:










  2. #2

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    wow! that came out great
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member D'Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Can't believe how fast you did that! Nice!
    '94 Gibson LP CS Standard
    '02 Gibson LP '58 CA
    '03 Gibson Firebird CS Non-Reverse
    '05 Gibson LP '54
    '06 Gibson LP '58 VOS
    '12 Squier Bullet Strat
    '14 Squier '51
    '14 Epiphone Genesis Pro
    '92 Washburn D17SCE
    '70s Val Dez Classical
    5F1A Tweed
    V Series V1512
    #698 THD Univalve
    Crate V5 (OpAmp Mod)
    Crate V33 (SLO Mod)

    Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    But the forum is...still a great place to hang out if you want to chat about guitars or blindside and humiliate unsuspecting chumps with our endless supply of vitriol.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,533

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    I'm out of time tonight but will comment more later. I do like what you did allot. Also, those are the lightest strings I've ever seen.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member mikev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,124

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    That is really cool, man!

  6. #6

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Thanks a lot guys really appreciated.

    Here is a shot of the products i used for the finish.



    Nico.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Seoighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Florida West Coast
    Posts
    5,265

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Great result!

    Can you provide more details about 'the process'?

    Did you use pore filler after chemical stripping and sanding?...how many lacquer coats?...wet sand or power polish?


    inquiring minds...

  8. #8

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Holy CRAP! That thing looks AWESOME!

    It was pretty before, but I think it looks SO MUCH BETTER now!

    Great work

  9. #9

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Seoighs View Post
    Great result!

    Can you provide more details about 'the process'?

    Did you use pore filler after chemical stripping and sanding?...how many lacquer coats?...wet sand or power polish?


    inquiring minds...
    After i used the stripping juice i was scared because the binding started melting, so i did it quickly, after that i used 150 grit dry sanding paper, then 220 and then 320.

    I grabs some old t-shirts cut little pieces of it and use it as brush. The combination of the stains was tricky and i used a piece of pine to try the colors before i got it right and use it on the paul.

    i spent about 2 hours total in staining the top, let it dry over the sunday night and on monday noon started spraying the lacquer, 2 good coats every 24 hours and light sanding with 2,400 grit wet sanding paper between every 24 hours, this until thursday morning where i did the final polishing with 3200, 3800, 4000, 8000, 1200 wet sand papers and a polishing paste #4 Swirl Remover from Stewart-Macdonald on a t-shirt.

  10. #10

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    well i would say that you did an exceptional job. especially given the tools you had at hand and the rattle can varnish you used to finish the top. it really looks great!

    did you refin the back and sides as well or just the top? Also, im not really sure but i do believe that there may be some plastic safe strippers out there too just for anyone who may be interested.
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  11. #11

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    well i would say that you did an exceptional job. especially given the tools you had at hand and the rattle can varnish you used to finish the top. it really looks great!

    did you refin the back and sides as well or just the top? Also, im not really sure but i do believe that there may be some plastic safe strippers out there too just for anyone who may be interested.
    I'll start doing the back sides and neck this weekend and yes i will look for a plastic safe stripper.

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member rgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    164

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    I liked the relic job you did but this is really nice. Love the color.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Froum Member CocoTone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Baltimore Ontario
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Please don't relic this one!! It way too pretty!!!

    CT.

  14. #14

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    That is a really nice top

  15. #15

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Got some better sun light today, it makes the grain pop up.



    Nico.

  16. #16

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone View Post
    Please don't relic this one!! It way too pretty!!!

    CT.
    Hahahaha, i wont, a least now for a few months.

  17. #17

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by rgs View Post
    I liked the relic job you did but this is really nice. Love the color.
    Thank you!!!

  18. #18

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Kossoff View Post
    Holy CRAP! That thing looks AWESOME!

    It was pretty before, but I think it looks SO MUCH BETTER now!

    Great work
    Thanks!!!!

  19. #19

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    This is an update on my 2003 LP refinish, now its time to show the back and sides.

    I need your opinions on whether to leave it as it is right now, with all that beautiful grain showing in all its porous glory, or continue applying lacquer until the mirror gloss comes out. I have to say that i like it this way, but know it will look great with high gloss too......decisions......decisions....Urrrr

    Back sanded ready for staining:



    Reflection of the porous back:



    I did not know the back had so much going on, with all this refinish test i have learned that Gibson does not do its best to really show how beautiful its wood can be, same happened with the top, i has much more flames now.






  20. #20

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    what did you use to strip the back?
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  21. #21

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
    Thanks a lot guys really appreciated.

    Here is a shot of the products i used for the finish.



    Nico.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    what did you use to strip the back?

    Here are all the stuff i'm using for this project, its just a normal strong stripper, applied 2 hands of it, one then scrape, two and scrape again.

  22. #22

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Here its a photo of the back way before i was thinking about refinishing it, it just had put it threw the razor!!!!



    Glad i did the refinish,

  23. #23

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    oh so youre using the same stripper as before?? cool did you have any more trouble with the stripper melting the binding?
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Umeň, Sweden
    Posts
    3,506

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Actually, now it looks more like a Les Paul Standard Faded with a layer of nitro.
    I play a Trini Lopez Reissue through a Fender Blues Jr. Sunburst.

    Quote Originally Posted by camohoyt View Post
    I'm sure only Axel knows if they have wax potting. He knows stuff that Gibson don't even know about there own guitars. Like an angel from Les Paul Heaven!

  25. #25

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    oh so youre using the same stripper as before?? cool did you have any more trouble with the stripper melting the binding?
    i did put masking tape on al the binding and it worked

  26. #26

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Any more opinions on applying more lacquer?

  27. #27

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    i say go for it.
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  28. #28

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    i say go for it.
    i did 2 coats last night and believe looking even better.


  29. #29

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    yeah man! its looking very rock n roll now. im really digging that figuring!
    Lead Guitar - Atomic Pilot
    www.atomicpilot.com

  30. #30

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    New image:


  31. #31

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Here is one that shows almost the exact color of the back and sides, i try to make it a really fade red mahogany finish.


  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member nevizzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    uk/wales
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Actually, now it looks more like a Les Paul Standard Faded with a layer of nitro.
    +1

  33. #33

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Actually, now it looks more like a Les Paul Standard Faded with a layer of nitro.
    Quote Originally Posted by nevizzzy View Post
    +1
    Do you really think it looks the faded series??? Better get an eye checkup dudes.

    Faded series:



  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member nevizzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    uk/wales
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrivera View Post
    Do you really think it looks the faded series??? Better get an eye checkup dudes.]
    Yeah I do because that's what it looks like, a faded with a clear coat of nitro. There are many fadeds that look very similar to your guitar and have that heavy sanded look. I admire your courage and skills in your experimentation but you haven't managed to reproduce the look of faded colours through the sanding approach.

  35. #35
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    330

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    looks exactly like the faded series with a thick coat of varnish, looks cool

    here is mine




  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    brooklyn new york
    Posts
    585

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    hey...i noticed that u mentioned laquer. Those cans say varnish...VArnish has yellowish tint to it...Did u indeed use spray varnish or lacquer?

  37. #37

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Russo View Post
    hey...i noticed that u mentioned laquer. Those cans say varnish...VArnish has yellowish tint to it...Did u indeed use spray varnish or lacquer?
    Clear Varnish is the correct word.

  38. #38

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    looks exactly like the faded series with a thick coat of varnish, looks cool

    here is mine




    Yes!!!!! you are right, it her sister!!!!!

    Great. I love how this baby has come out and the overwhelmingly response from many people all over the guitar related forums.

  39. #39

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Quote Originally Posted by nevizzzy View Post
    Yeah I do because that's what it looks like, a faded with a clear coat of nitro. There are many fadeds that look very similar to your guitar and have that heavy sanded look. I admire your courage and skills in your experimentation but you haven't managed to reproduce the look of faded colours through the sanding approach.
    Great, that means i did a good job. Thanks!!!

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member LPguitarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    132

    Re: Faded refinish Les Pual

    Looks awesome Nico, great job. As mentioned earlier, don't relic this one, it looks too good. Love that grain on the back and the front for that matter.
    Guitars:
    2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique GOW#2
    2014 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio Acoustic Electric Cutaway

    Pedals:
    Original Cry Baby Wah
    Morley Power Wah Boost
    DOD Stereo Chorus
    BOSS Digital Delay
    DOD Flanger
    MXR 6-Band Equalizer
    Boss Acoustic Simulator
    Boss Chromatic Tuner
    Boss Compression / Sustainer
    DOD Grunge
    MXR EVH Phase 90
    Original Voice Box
    (2) Pedal Boards to hold it all (1) BOSS (1) SKB

    Amp:
    Peavey Classic VT Series 2x12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!