What does the "P" mean?
    What does "90" refer to?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    PG
    Never Stop Playing!

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Re: What does P-90 "stand for"?

Pickup Model 90
    (P-90 derived from internal company name PU-90 - Duchossoior)

All Access/Backstage Pass Pearly Grapes's Avatar

Thanks Rev!
    Never Stop Playing!

Les Paul Forum Member

That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).

In every package of US Army C-Rations (back in the day) was a clever can opener made of two pieces of metal. They were universally known as "P-38s." To this day I've never heard an explanation for it.

Les Paul Forum Member Bluefinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe View Post
    That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).

In every package of US Army C-Rations (back in the day) was a clever can opener made of two pieces of metal. They were universally known as "P-38s." To this day I've never heard an explanation for it.
    The pickup-price explaination makes sense ...

OT but in the Austrian Army there are similar descriptions for everything from a shoestring to a tank. Usually it's an abbreviation for the type of item itself followed by the year it was introduced. The Glock for example is called P-80 (Pistol, used since 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe View Post
    I've had one of those on my key ring for over 25 years. I never heard why it was called P-38 either.

Les Paul Forum Member blueguitar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivaoaxaca View Post
    I've had one of those on my key ring for over 25 years. I never heard why it was called P-38 either.
    P-38, hmm, lets think... isnīt that what ist is :

and that :

just wondering, how you kept those on a keyring...

(I know Iīm off-topic - delete as you please...)
    "we got to be free as electrons in a vacuum..."

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

"Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90""

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefinger View Post
    The pickup-price explaination makes sense ...
    When an entire Les Paul Junior sold for ~$95, why would a pickup sell for $90?

In the 1957 CMI Parts & Accessories Catalog. the P-90 pickup and cover were listed for $32.40. (Lawrence, p. 185)

[QUOTE=lpdeluxe;2009219]That's the only place I've seen that. Other speculation indicates "P-90" = "Pickup-$90" (like the ES-150 = Electric Spanish-$150).QUOTE]

One might think that number 90 meant that the pickup originally sold for $90 - although that cannot be. In 1954, a Les Paul Junior listed for $120 (that would me the price of the rest of the guitar was $30). I also have a Chicago Musical Instrument (CMI) Catalog from 1957 that lists various Gibson replacement parts. An entire P-90 pickup assembly listed for $32.40. That included the pickup, cover, pots, cap and input jack! This entire assmebly was listed as the No. 480 Pickup Unit. Also noteworthy is that the gold bonnet knobs were listed separately at $0.95 each The number 90 could mean that the original spec. of the pickup was 9000 ohms - or it may not really denote anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.WillieVK View Post
    When an entire Les Paul Junior sold for ~$95, why would a pickup sell for $90?

In the 1957 CMI Parts & Accessories Catalog. the P-90 pickup and cover were listed for $32.40. (Lawrence, p. 185)
    Exactly! As I just noted in my previous post - that $32.40 also included the pots, cap and input jack!