• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best sounding STOCK Les Paul...

nuclearfishin

Ok gang, here's a quick question--what do you all think is the best sounding stock Les Paul from 1980 and newer? I know all the 50's LP's would be first, but I'm looking for what you all think is the best sounding LP right off the rack in the last 20 years or so. Neck size and shape doesn't matter, I'm looking for strictly the best tone.

Let the opinions start rolling...

George

All Access/Backstage Pass
My first R9 is the best sounding, most harmonically complex Les Paul I've ever played, period.
I posted a message on this very forum to that effect 6 or seven years ago, and it's still true.

pepejara

The best stock les paul I have tried is a buddy's "Slash relic" (I think one of those 100 that were made)... Simply amazing, the tone (above all) and the feel and the look!

reswot

If you don't want to get into specific guitars, I'd say that the R7, R8, R9 group would be the best-sounding models. Some are better than others, but, on the average, those would be the ones.

LiveOak

You can't go wrong with the R7, R8, and R9 group. However, for me, my stock, 2006 LP Standard, 60's neck is the best sounding and playing stock LP I have ever experienced.

nuclearfishin

Oh man, you guys are killing me! The reason I asked this question is because I just bought the absolute BEST acoustic combo I've ever heard or played, a Doyle Dykes Signature Model and a Rivera Sedona. In an effort to keep things peaceful in the house, I promised to sell a little gear to keep the checkbook even. I currently have a 2003 R9 (braz--the Texas burst) and a killer R7. They both sound almost identical. I was thinking I could sell the R7 and buy a great sounding standard with a little cash left over to reimburse the checking account. I knew both my R7 and R9 sounded killer, but now you all are making me second guess which guitar I should sell. I think I might need to sell my '52 tele reissue now instead. Dang, I thought this would be an easy choice since I have 2 LP's, but of all my guitars, the LP's are what I consistently reach for...

pepejara

Sell the tele! I love teles also, but I wouldn´t sell any of those two les pauls...

Progrocker111

My most favourite was perhaps 1973 LP Custom and nowadays my Historic 1957 LP Junior RI.

studioguy

My stock '81 Custom is pretty damn good and compares to my '91 Classic with Duncan Antiquities

kht2002

My '92 Classic (w the stock ceramic pups) is really amazing. More tones and variants than you can believe. With a 2 channel tube amp and a FullDrive, you get a terrific spectrum of sounds.

George

All Access/Backstage Pass
Selling my tele would hurt too much. Just get a second job long enough to make the dough that you spent!

concert410

My '92 Classic (w the stock ceramic pups) is really amazing. More tones and variants than you can believe. With a 2 channel tube amp and a FullDrive, you get a terrific spectrum of sounds.

I have a Stock Classic like that. One of my Classics is just merely a nice guitar. I have no complaints with it. The other Classic is Phenomenal. It just has more tone, more tones, and plays a quite a bit nicer. I played almost every Les Paul in GC and Sam Ash before I settled on these two. They were bought a little over a year apart too.

stock_hippie

Les Paul Froum Member
i havent played a Gibson Les Paul since 1972 when i met a girl
taxi driver who had a new Les Paul Black custom...since then ive been in Hawaii and you just dont see that many LPs out here ....but i do remember that guitar was veryyyyy loud

gavindale

I know it's hard to believe but my first Les Paul (and I own 3 Historics and three other Les Pauls) is still the standard that I use to preview every amp I own. A 1979 "The Paul". The neck, pick ups, and tone have put it in the class of "If I could only keep two" for the desert island. Stock from the word go. Frets are non existant but still plays clean.

Please don't beat me up too bad. :worm :laugh2:

passingtime

You're in a tough spot brother but I think you've answered your question in selling the Tele. You can always replace it later if you're so inclined, for less money than a good Les Paul.

As much as I like my '52 RI Tele it's been kind of lonely since I got a Les Paul again.