• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

faux binding project VM studio

scaremy

Hi there
new user here glad to meet you all. i have a bit of a project im doing with my vintage mahogany. i decided i would do some faux binding on her to give a bit of class but still keep the FEEL of the VM series.

when i got the guitar there was some MAJOR scratches dents and warn spots all over the place but i got her looking pretty good now.
all the binding is done and the first coat of Tru-Oil is on.
i had to use some watered down wood glue on the bare wood of the binding to keep the tru-oil from soaking in and darkening it but overall im pretty pleased with the way its coming along. im putting the oil on quite thick so i can sand between coats and try and level some of the grain out.

here is some pics after 1st coat of Tru-Oil
IMG%5D

IMG%5D
VMfauxbindingproject1.jpg

VMfauxbindingproject2.jpg

this might be one of those ongoing project's but for now this is where im at with it.

Last edited:

woody-89

That looks great! Can you enlighten me as to exactly how you've done the binding?? I'd really like to do this to a studio one day..

scaremy

That looks great! Can you enlighten me as to exactly how you've done the binding?? I'd really like to do this to a studio one day..

i used aluminum foil tape to mask off the sides because its nice and thick so i wouldn't sand through. keeping a close eye i would re-cover the line with the foil tape as it started to wear thin. then i gently sanded with 150 grit paper and a foam sanding block and razor blade for the top edge then smoothed it out with scotch bright and #0000 steel wool.
then i used some 2part wood bleach to clean any discoloration and lighten the strip.

after that i thinned out some wood glue and coated the strip with it so the oil wouldn't soak in and darken it.

im not sure if i want it to be really GLOSSY or not or if i want it to be like a matte or semi-gloss we will just have to see as i get farther.

Ryan Givhan

i really want to put faux binding on my studio, but i love the finish it has on it now, and im afraid i couldnt make it looks as good.

scaremy

i really want to put faux binding on my studio, but i love the finish it has on it now, and im afraid i couldnt make it looks as good.

it was an easy decision with the VM because the finish was just a stain and thin nitro.

doesn't the regular studios have a beveled edge? if so that would be near impossible.

scaremy

ok i just looked at some pics of some standard studio's and the edges are NOT beveled like i thought they were.

but i still wouldn't do it because they already have that nice finish on them. unless you have one with serious finish damage or you are good at refinishing guitars.........

scaremy

a little update

i had to go back and fix a couple of spots that just werent sitting well with me.

so now i have to decide weather i want to keep it glossy like it is or bring it down to a semi-gloss which im having trouble figuring out how to go about that.

fauxbinding3.jpg
fauxbinding4.jpg

scaremy

well i decided to re-do the top as well

trans-black2.jpg
trans-black1-1.jpg

trans-black fits my style better.
i would have kept her brown but i messed up the top while buffing:doh

so just a couple more coats of Tru-Oil and some buffing to get the grain out and she is good to go.
i ordered some micro-mesh polishing pads from stewmac.com
and some new cream plastic.
i dont know if ill use the cream or black but ill have sets of both just incase.

LPguitarman

Looks good. Keep it glossy. Too bad you had to refinish the top. The Mahogany looked good.

scaremy

well ive almost got all the grain out and she's lookin good almost like a profesional finish:wow. just a couple more coats and a final buff and she will be ready for showtime.
ill post a pic when its done.
my cream plastic is coming in tomorrow and i think it would look best with that after i took off the PU covers because they are black so the cream will give it that "contrast".
im also expecting some new pole-piece screws and cloth pickup tape to make em look fresh and new im also going to polish the tops with some of that micro-mesh so they'll shine up.
too bad theyre not ZEBRA colored i would have loved that but i really want to play with the BB pros' for awhile before i go and swap out for something else ive only played the guitar a couple of times shortly before i started this project and the BB pros sounded verry nice but it seemed like the output was lower than what im used to (PEAVEY Wolfgang's) but that might have been due to the covers being on so i really dont know if i like the pickups yet or not.
but i have an extra set of Wolf PU's i have been saving for a project guitar so if i dont like em ill swap em out.

scaremy

ALRIGHT!:rofl

all done now all she needs to do now is cure thoroughly about 2 weeks before i can really handle her:yawn.

i decided to go back and do the whole back and sides in black and do a very dark subtle teardrop burst.
i bought some cream plastic and some amber speed knobs to give it a slight "classic" feel. im still torn on weather to use the black or the cream plastic i think ill put the black on and take a picture so you all can see but for now i did a mockup (just laid everything on it to see what it can look like)

LPmockup1.jpg

LPmockup2.jpg

LPmockup3.jpg

im really in love with TRUE-OIL that stuff is just AWESOME! i cant wait to get ahold of another project guitar to do something else im very artistic i also do oil paintings and my mind is just flooding inn with ideas for other guitars. the possibilities are endless.

PS: those specs are just dust the finish is GORGIOUS! the pics really dont do it justice.

Krank

Very nice work. DO you have your own spray booth? Just trying to figure out how I could do something like that. The shading is nice and subtle. I liek the trans black better, but that me. The cream plastic gives it a very nice classy feel. Great job man.:peace2

scaremy

Very nice work. DO you have your own spray booth? Just trying to figure out how I could do something like that. The shading is nice and subtle. I liek the trans black better, but that me. The cream plastic gives it a very nice classy feel. Great job man.:peace2

no its the true-oil you just rub it on and it dries in just about 30 mins

but i have been brushing it on THICK! then sanding it smooth with #0000 steel wool and Micro-Mesh buffing pads then putting it on thick again and then buff again doing this over and over.

i have been able to get 2 coats on a day i dont know how many there is on it now i stopped counting long ago LOL but its such an easy way to get a flawless glass finish.