• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970 Goldtop Deluxe: $9K ?!?

lpdeluxe

Oh, just reread the post above about the goof rings covering tool marks, I didn't know Gibson would let something that shoddy out, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything.

Al

The point of the Deluxe was that it allowed putting humbuckers in P90 cavities.

I personally don't mind you calling my LP "shoddy" because if you played it you'd want it for yourself.

zombiwoof

The point of the Deluxe was that it allowed putting humbuckers in P90 cavities.

I personally don't mind you calling my LP "shoddy" because if you played it you'd want it for yourself.

Sorry, didn't mean to make a derogatory remark about your guitar! I just meant that if Gibson did that to cover a production mistake, that is pretty cheap. I don't understand your first comment, though, as most Deluxes with Minis used the rings that were made out of cut-out P90 covers to go in P90 routs, the "goof rings" obviously were used for some other reason. Maybe those were installed over full-sized humbucker cavities?

Al

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Crikey!!!! 9 large for that!!! :hee :rofl

As they say in the bidnis.... they want "ALLTHE MONEY" and then some more!!!

That is a pancake no question. It is a three piece neck no question.

Dead mint it's worth 4 large right now.... good luck finding a buyer for 4 large........

9 pounds 13 oz...... OUCH!

scraven

Don"t know what it"s today but, I bought a new one in 1970 from Chuck Levin at Washington
Music Center for for $200
Funny thing, It developed a crack just below the pickup switch like this one.

CutieJones

I had one with the goof rings on it. Underneath it was perfect. No tooling marks, no chips to the finish, and the route wasnt oversized at all. Gotta wonder if the reason for these wasnt something else.

bangkok

About three years ago my connection at GC kept bugging me to buy a 69 Deluxe they had for $3500 (he is a lefty, poor sap), it was a player for sure. I just didn't have that kind of money at the time so I passed.

It sold, then was resold a month later at a guitar show for $7000, to the Burst Brothers!!! I saw it in the vintage room and got the story of how they got it. They then sold it a couple of months later for $10000 to the guy from System Of A Down!:wah

Jim Sloves

I was thinking of offering 9 grand .....just as soon as the DOW hits 36,000

:bigal Get the net. That dealer is mental.

jeffc

I was thinking of offering 9 grand .....just as soon as the DOW hits 36,000

:bigal Get the net. That dealer is mental.

Yeah... Too bad he has lot's of interesting guitars. It's like that Chicago music exchange. They fucked me once, and I will never do business with them again, but I hate to see all the nice stuff on their web site:dang

The Real MC

Way overpriced not just because of the pancake body but because of the inferior minihumbuckers. My brother had one of those and he replaced the bridge humbucker with a Dimarzio. Massive difference.

sharq attaq

If your friend has 9k to spend on a vintage guitar, he could probably get a "no issues" 50s Special...with the current market. Maybe even for slightly less. That would be a better investment. When things recover, he'll either have something that's increased in value substantially, or a guitar he'll never even think about ever parting with. Depends on your mindset.

I think they are in the top 10 best (and coolest) electric guitars ever produced.

If he's dead set on an old wood goldtop, I'd be looking for something to convert. I wish I'd done that when the trap tails were dirt cheap.

telstarstuff

Different yes, but not "inferior".

I agree whole heartedly! My '69 one piece body Deluxe.:salude
100_1091.jpg

L

LPDEN

OK Guys- My buddy called me this evening and thanked me and all of you for your advice and comments. I emailed him the link to this thread and he was really glad to hear about all that you had to say. Needless to say, he is NOT buying this guitar based on the facts addressed here. Glad I was able to get him this info and consult all of you before he pulled the trigger!

As for some of the questions above, I don't know anything about the case etc. As for the dealer, some of you have already figured it out- but it's really not my place to disclose that based on the strong opinions here- I don't want to get in the middle of it by mentioning the store etc. Thanks to all.

Glad your friend was able to make an informed decision. You're a good friend for helping him out, and this forum once again showed it's value to the LP community! :salude

K

Kim R

FWIW:

My late 71 GT had a 590xxx SN, mini's, goof rings, no volute, sandwich body, "Made in USA." The guitar came with a brown Lifton case - both the case and the guitar were used. I bought the guitar in 1972 for $275.

Attempting to apply absolute specifications to this era in Gibson's history is erroneous, as many have pointed out.

I LOVED this guitar, thought it sounded unbelievably good!! (I was also 15 years old and this all occurred 37 years ago...)

skhan007

FWIW:

My late 71 GT had a 590xxx SN, mini's, goof rings, no volute, sandwich body, "Made in USA." The guitar came with a brown Lifton case - both the case and the guitar were used. I bought the guitar in 1972 for $275.

Attempting to apply absolute specifications to this era in Gibson's history is erroneous, as many have pointed out.

I LOVED this guitar, thought it sounded unbelievably good!! (I was also 15 years old and this all occurred 37 years ago...)

When I was 15, I saved up all Summer long working at Roy Rogers and proudly went down to Veneman's Music and bought a purple BC Rich Warlock. I thought that nothing could possibly be cooler or sound better. Glad I grew up!

lpdeluxe

When I was 15, I saved up all Summer long working at Roy Rogers and proudly went down to Veneman's Music and bought a purple BC Rich Warlock. I thought that nothing could possibly be cooler or sound better. Glad I grew up!

Man! If I now owned all the guitars, cars, whatever that I loved when I was 15, I'd have a very peculiar collection.

K

Kim R

I think much of what we sought (seek) is a sign of the times and places in which we became interested in the guitar. For those of us who had an initial interest in the late sixties, the choices were far fewer in number and a lot of what was to become so coveted was just ten-year-old "stuff." Had I been wise enough to keep what I was able to scrounge up back then, I think that I would own some incredible guitars. ... I wasn't::ganz

The up side of now, is that there are so many great builders, pickup and hardware manufactures, etc. Aside from those few vintage grails, the best guitars ever built are being built now IMO.

Jumping@Shadows

Gary Dick is VERY creative with his descriptions to say the least, and for better or worse his surname is emphasised when he comes up in discussion..