• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The late Steve Clark (Def Leppard) appreciation

P.Walker

i have their concert...in your face in the round i think?
i like his guitar playing more than phil's, but they made a great duo. I got into def leppard because of clark, didn't listen to def leppard's later material without him...

andy81

wow i watched that and saw a version from mariah carey :bigal

Jover

A few days ago, I saw some clips of Vivian Campbell playing acoustic versions of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and "Hysteria" (he puts his own little spin on them). He dedicates "Hysteria" to Steve Clark. I enjoyed Vivian's performance. I've been a fan of his since his debut in DIO, but I did not know Vivian had such a good voice. Hope you guys enjoy:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/107205

woody-89

A very much underrated guitarist methinks.. In many ways I do prefer him to Phil, and it's always nice to see someone from such a pointy-guitar scene using Gibbos!

He shall be remembered well!

Drew68

In the old Pyromania-era videos he played a Les Paul that was a bare-bones model. I believe it was a precursor to the Studio but it was called something else.

Anyone remember these?

5.jpg

499125673_f123eeaca1.jpg

redlir

In the old Pyromania-era videos he played a Les Paul that was a bare-bones model. I believe it was a precursor to the Studio but it was called something else.

Anyone remember these?

5.jpg

499125673_f123eeaca1.jpg

Wow that takes me back. Phil looks like he's 12 there!

-Will-

That guitar is an XR 1, comes with Dirty Fingers.
I have one with a Kahler on - I could be accused of being a fan :p
Lusting after the white LP custom now

les strat

That guitar is an XR 1, comes with Dirty Fingers.
I have one with a Kahler on - I could be accused of being a fan :p
Lusting after the white LP custom now

I'd almost bet money he had SD '59's in it by the sound.

Ian Hurtt

I don't have your ears...to me, there are too many variables in a guitar to be able to pick out a specific brand/model of pickup. Especially a PAF type that was seems like a thousand versions of on the street.

-Will-

Double screw poles on SD's? Agh, I dunno, but Marshall and this guitar = photograph.
I think he mostly stuck to stock pickups, apart from converted deluxes

lhric

Hello,
I think the guitar Steve actually played during the Photograph, Foolin, and Rock of ages videos was the 1977/1955 reissue of the Les Paul Special. Gibson started making these in '74 with the wrap tail piece and then in '77 started making the tune-o-matics. He routed out the guitar and put in HBs. I also read that with Def Leppard's growing status and pre-royalties in '79 Steve ran out and bought three Gibson Les Pauls: a Standard, a Deluxe, and a Special. He was playing an Ibanez Les Paul copy up till then. I followed Steve's career as soon as I saw that Bringin on the Heartbreak on MTV in '82. I was not to enthuised when Steve started putting Kahler tremolo systems on all his guitars. I preferred them as they were.

L

LPDEN

Hello,
I think the guitar Steve actually played during the Photograph, Foolin, and Rock of ages videos was the 1977/1955 reissue of the Les Paul Special. Gibson started making these in '74 with the wrap tail piece and then in '77 started making the tune-o-matics. He routed out the guitar and put in HBs. I also read that with Def Leppard's growing status and pre-royalties in '79 Steve ran out and bought three Gibson Les Pauls: a Standard, a Deluxe, and a Special. He was playing an Ibanez Les Paul copy up till then. I followed Steve's career as soon as I saw that Bringin on the Heartbreak on MTV in '82. I was not to enthuised when Steve started putting Kahler tremolo systems on all his guitars. I preferred them as they were.

That was a heck of an era for Def Leppard. Steve's LP I thought brought great tone to the guitar parts of many of their hits. It was a shame when he passed away so young.