• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul vs. PRS Singlecut

58junior

Did not mean for this to be a PRS vs. Les Paul debate. Just looking for inches.....I know the wide thin is a very thin small neck. I was wondering if the the PRS wide-fat was wide and fat in the les paul vernacular. Similar question to the body width.... anyone out there with a ruler???????

Help....can someone whip out a ruler????:rolleyes

tooncat

LPand245.jpg

Quick pic with my shaky hands.... some interesting info on the measurements I took:

50's neck thickness at nut: 5/8 ", 245: 13/16's (suprize!) it's a little thicker
body thickness at straps: LP: 2", 245: 1 5/8s"
Width at nut: LP: both = 1 11/16's"

Last edited:

58junior

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. The singlecut without the trem is a bit thicker in the body. Anyone know what the body thickness difference is on the non trem version? Thanks. :hee

MRTONEMAN

The singlecut without the trem is a bit thicker in the body.
Anyone know what the body thickness difference is on the non trem version?

A non-trem 245 body is 1 & 15/16 inches.
(vs. about 2in for an LP), so its only a 1/16 inch difference.
The pic shows where I measured.
I DID zero out the caliper with the paper used to protect the finish
so the measurements are accurate for the bodies alone.

as to the neck thickness ..
this sc245 is 1/32 of an inch less thick at the first fret than a typical 59 LP Reissue.

prs245.jpg

Last edited:

redcoats1976

ive got a PRS singlecut SE,the neck is,well,wide and fat.since my LP had a 60s neck its bigger than that.a damn nice guitar for 500 dollars but you are right about the pickups,some stock 490/500 pickups would make it a tone monster

Redhod

If I had the shekls to buy a PRS, it would be the Swamp Ash Special.

Just my persuasion.

C-4

To each his own....there is no doubt that PRSs are quality instruments but their tone stamp is generic....not really Gibson, not really Fender, not really Gretsch, not really etc not anything that historically is identified as a classic signature. It has nothing to do with cache and I do not play any particlar instrument to impress anyone...me personnally I choose a particular axe to get a specific tone across and the PRSs to me (this is just my opinion) do not have any identity. Once again if they make you happy...great. :ganz

I bought a PRS Artist Limited and after two weeks, I had to send it back.
As described above, but to shorten the statement a bit, it sounded like "white bread".

They were extremely finely crafted, but the personality was that of a beautiful, but ultimately stupid beauty queen.

bongo122819

Personality & Soul are so subjective.......but are very real feelings.
I had a PRS CE-24 and my own experience was that it Cut thru the band better than my LP Deluxe & 335. Also, several non-musicians liked the sound better. That said, I agree that the sound is somewhat "generic", after all, it's designed to replicate the best aspects of Gibson & Fender so it will always be somewhat of a compromise. My guess is that younger players who grow up with PRS will have a different take on it.
I sold the CE-24 and have not missed it.
I did buy a PRS SE Soapbar recently and think this one has a Real Heart And Soul and it's own personality - but of course, nothing like my LPs.

Huc

This being a Les Paul Forum more kudo's for Gibson. Over on the PRS Forum the same. Owning a herd of the major brands I pulled out my 6oth Anni Tele 52RI and got happy in a hurry. Some days my LP's is the bomb some days my PRS's.I enjoy all of them like they where my own kids. Each is special in it's own way. Peavey T-60 anyone? Ovation Breadwinner? Heehaw. Still looking for that hand crank to my Mickey Mouse model from 1962. :)

Aahzz

To each his own....there is no doubt that PRSs are quality instruments but their tone stamp is generic....not really Gibson, not really Fender, not really Gretsch, not really etc not anything that historically is identified as a classic signature. It has nothing to do with cache and I do not play any particlar instrument to impress anyone...me personnally I choose a particular axe to get a specific tone across and the PRSs to me (this is just my opinion) do not have any identity. Once again if they make you happy...great. :ganz

So, essentially, you're slamming PRS as "generic" because they choose to be original and have their own sound, rather than rip off the sound of those that came before?

Odd.

Full disclosure - I own a Mira, and get a wide enough variety of tones from it that I sold my Lesters, and my Teles. It sounds like itself, rather than the others, but it sounds so good that they were unplayed.

tooncat

So, essentially, you're slamming PRS as "generic" because they choose to be original and have their own sound, rather than rip off the sound of those that came before?

Odd.

Full disclosure - I own a Mira, and get a wide enough variety of tones from it that I sold my Lesters, and my Teles. It sounds like itself, rather than the others, but it sounds so good that they were unplayed.

I'm pretty sure he's not slamming PRS. Just one of a lot of people that don't dig their pickups. I changed mine and my guitar now has a personality that I dig a lot.

By the way, lots of good comments being made on the Mira series. What are the pickups in those and can you elaborate a little more on your guitar? Thanks.

Marshall Man

I just got my first PRS two weeks ago, I got a Custom 24 10 Top. This guitar is simply amazing! The fit and finish is light years ahead of any of my Gibsons to include my Custom shop guitars. This axe has plenty of soul!

Mr. Clean

I had a PRS Custom 22 years ago that I ended up selling, the tone and feel were blah.

Since then I haven't really thought that highly of PRS, until I checked out a 245 a couple months ago. I don't know, and don't really care, if it was designed to be a Les Paul-alike, but to me it sounded and played like a good Les Paul should, very round, clear, and punchy and mixing the pickups in various ratios with the volume and tone pots (where most of the magic with Les Pauls arises IMO) revealed alot of great tones. And the 245 felt great in my hands.

Other than VOS 57 and 58s I've had occasion to play, new production Les Pauls just haven't done it for me, at least not to the extent of the PRS 245.

So, if I had two grand and change to throw down on a new set-neck humbucker guitar, in all honesty I have to say I'd go for the 245.

ant_riv

tooncat-
Thanks for the reply! I certainly understand.

I believe the Mira pickups are uncovered SC245 pups, that split.

To all:
The lack of soul comments are interesting to me. I believe the biggest cause of that is the "dipped in glass" finishes. My Gibsons seem to know my hand, where as the PRS takes a few minutes to warm up. It will be interesting to see mwhat people think in twenty years after lots of PRS are "worn in".

Interestingly, on the PRS Forum, many people change the pups also, even on the most expensive PRSi. However, I really like the tone of the SC245 pups. Different strokes, for different folks.

But I am really gassing for a R8 and have been for months. Just don't have the cash ....

D'Mule

I just got my first PRS two weeks ago, I got a Custom 24 10 Top. This guitar is simply amazing! The fit and finish is light years ahead of any of my Gibsons to include my Custom shop guitars. This axe has plenty of soul!

The lack of soul comments are interesting to me. I believe the biggest cause of that is the "dipped in glass" finishes. My Gibsons seem to know my hand, where as the PRS takes a few minutes to warm up. It will be interesting to see mwhat people think in twenty years after lots of PRS are "worn in".

I wonder if these two comments are related. I have not played PRS, so I can't comment directly on their finish, but I have played plenty of guitars with perfect glossy polyurethane finishes, including my own Fenders. I can see how this approach can yield "perfect fit and finish" for some and yet not be pleasing to others. Personally, I find the Gibson nitro finish to be much more 'organic' with its hand carved neck and thin finishes that take on the contours of the wood.

I think this just comes down to personal preference more than anything else. I don't agree that Gibson Custom Shop guitars are inferior in fit and finish, its just a different animal.:salude

MWR

:wah

Odd.

Actually, I think you may be missing the point. if you check out my original post I mentioned the Mira is the closest IMHO that they have come to a classic model. :)

Much of the popularity of PRS guitars appears to be in a much younger demographic. The current crop of young rockers are looking for their own identity and that is cool. PRS offers many looks and finishes that appeal to the desires of performing on stage where maybe nuance and tone may not be the priority in the current rock business. However, when many of these groups go into the studio to record you find that they reach many times for classic instruments and amplifiers with classic tones. :)

There are other guitar manufacturers that have done some new things that have a tone identity all their own. However, once again IMHO PRS is sort of a hybrid which in my mind is more "generic", maybe not best term, but the only one I can think of at the moment. They are trying to be both Gibson and Fender. After years of continuing to perform and record I have found for me that I want the best of each if I have the choice. Meaning if I want a Gibby tone I grab a Gibby and if I want a Fender tone I grab the Fender. :biggrin:

Lastly, considering this is a Les Paul Forum the conversation/debate has been kept quite polite by many Les Paul advocates. If someone is going to ask such a controversial question on a forum dedicated to the Gibson Les Paul and expect members to jump up and adopt PRS as the king of guitar manufacturing you are being a bit naive. There is room in life for many different things and preferences but to expect a pro-PRS uprising on a Les Paul Forum is a little strange. :wah

Aahzz

By the way, lots of good comments being made on the Mira series. What are the pickups in those and can you elaborate a little more on your guitar? Thanks.

The Mira's pickups are stock - I think they're only put in the Mira and the SC245 - I know it's only the Mira and one other...anyway, they're clear as a bell, hold up great with interesting chords under distortion, and split better than any others I've tried. The electronics in the Mira give it a versatility unlike anything else I've played - it really can go from a twangy clean to a full-on roar with just the volume knob/split switch.

Electronics aside, it's lightweight, comfortable, and ergonomic. My one beef with it would be that I prefer a tailpiece with individually adjustable saddles for intonation - but that's really a preference thing, as I have no intonation issues.

Since I got it, I quite simply don't play anything else - in ine hand, that annoys me, as I;ve always liked having a few guitars to play with. On the other hand, I'm very, very satisfied.

J.D.

The PRS guitars are excellent American-made instruments. One observation is they lack a certain hand-made characteristic that the Gibson's (Historics) have, they are just more polished and consistent. The finishes are typically thicker and worked back to a glass-like luster. Just different animals. That certainly doesn't equal lacking "soul". I'd say just a more "modern" manufacturing process overall. As far as a pure Gibson tone, the PRS won't do it, for a number of reasons. It won't do a perfect Fender tone either. They feel different because of the slightly different scale length. Alot of guys who like to play one guitar live are finding that the PRS guitars are a very nice compromise between Gibson and Fender tones, very versitile and well built.

Trailerparkeddie

Les Paul Froum Member
It never fails...the debate won't die. I have a butt load of (Gibson) USA Les Pauls and a buttload of Custom Shop Les Pauls and a few USA Paul Reed Smith's and a buttload of of USA Charvels and a buttload of USA Jackson's and a couple of Benavente's and a couple of American Fender's and a couple of American Peavey's. They all have plenty of soul and tone and vibe and maghic and grit and what-ever non-tangible term you can come up with.

The simple fact is that PRS guitars and just made better. The Benaventes are very well made as well. Peavey is next

The simple truth is that they're all cut by a saw. The most advanced that I've seen is PRS, the most shoddy is Gibson. They use a big-ass replicating saw that rolls over a cut blank to guide four or five other routers...archeic

I ain't falling for the banana in the tailpipe crap. I play them all and they all sound right....humbucker guitars sound like humbucker guitars.

I'd like one of these 'lacking soul' people to put up the goods. Let's see some proof. Personally, I think the "soul lackers' are just brainwashed by the Gibbo ad campaign...you might say hypmotized! I would say duped.

Huc

I feel Gibbys do have a more "'organic" feel but that label doesn't translate to the term "soul". My PRS Modern Eagle feels "organic" mainly due to the solid Brazilion rosewood neck and super thin nitro finish..and again emphasis it doesn't translate to the term "soul". My LP doesn't make me a "soulful" player, I make me a soulful player and nothing else. PRS has a very wide range of guitars covering traditional models to cutting edge modern models. The new DGT (David Grissom) is a super selling guitar at present and dealers can't get enough of them. They have a nitro finish and great sounding pups that even Gibson diehards would approve of. My Custom 22 Artist does not have a nitro finish..feels less organic but still is a wonderful guitar, just more modern in feel and tone. Nothing beats a great LP...Nothing beats a great instrument regardless of brand...just play the crap out of them and enjoy them..nuff said.