• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What pickups sound best in a modern Les Paul?

dj335

Thank you to all that answered my question about pickups in my 2005 LP Classic Goldtop. From what many of you said, it sounds like the '57 Classics are going to give me the tone I seek.

One last question: It appears that the regular '57 Classic pickup is a one model universal type, in that it can be used in either neck or bridge position, whereas the Classic Plus was made for those who want a hotter pickup at the bridge. Does the Plus sound like the regular Classic, just with more output? I'm pretty sure my SG '61 Reissue has two regular '57 Classics, and not a Plus at the bridge, so I don't know how the Plus sounds in comparison.

I see '57 Classic pickups for sale on eBay in pairs as either two Classics, or a Classic with a Classic Plus. I'm guessing the Classic/Classic Plus choice would be best for a Paul? Your advice is very helpful.

DonP

It's pretty much impossible for us to tell you which Classics to get. What might be nice and "hot" to me might be "muddy" for you. What might be thin and sterile to me might be perfect for you.

Go by what know. Is your SG perfect? Would you like a little more power in the bridge?

One thing I will say is that 57 Classics are all over the place in hotness even without the plus. A 57 Classic can range from 7.75K up to 8.5K. A "plus" is generally anything hotter than 8.5K.

maestrovert

i know there are all sorts of flavor of the week boutique p-ups available, but i've become quite partial to Duncan's Seth Lovers....

96 lppp

My 08 std has bb pros stock and my 07 std has classic/ classic+ and they sound great all stock. They are also chambered and sound like Chuck Berry unplugged so maybe the only reason they sound so good amplified is because they are some of the best sounding LP's un-plugged. I've had several "weight relieved" LP's and the only one I've kept is my 05 custom. If you wan't a "sure thing" put a classic + in the bridge. Gibson pups sound alot better than alot of the rewinders here will let you believe.

korus

If you wan't a "sure thing" put a classic + in the bridge. Gibson pups sound alot better than alot of the rewinders here will let you believe.

The only sure thing with pickups is there is no such thing as 'sure thing'. What one plays, the technique used, other equipment in signal chain - as Paul Reed Smith put it IIRC - "Everything affects everything."

Gibson pickups will make Gibson guitars sound like most of Gibson buyers would expect them to sound. And not a slightest bit more than that. Which is good enough for most of Gibson buyers.

Just like with cars - most of the people use their cars stock. And some people hot rod them. Both are pleased with their own and wouldn't be as pleased with cars of the other group.

So, you can 'drive' Gibson stock or hot rod, neither is better, but one will suite you better. Just avoid believing things - try as many different options as possible and then make your own conclusion/decision.

my .02$