• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mini Humbuckers

jalevinemd

What was the purpose of the mini humbuckers used on the 70's Les Pauls? Also, does anyone have any photos of one with the cover off?

pablomago

What was the purpose of the mini humbuckers used on the 70's Les Pauls? Also, does anyone have any photos of one with the cover off?

Originally it was to use up the stock they had when they bought Epiphone, but why they decided to use them over P-90's after a couple of years was probably to keep the noise down and the fact that they didn't need a lot of tweaking to make them fit. But that's just a guess on my part.

It's funny, I'ver never seen one "naked."

reswot

They're not much to look at when they're naked... They certainly don't look like a little PAF. Sorry, though, I don't have any pics; wish I'd taken some when I had a few apart.

lpdeluxe

When Norlin reissued the Les Paul in 1968, they installed P90 pickups. Dealers were clamoring for humbuckers, and it was discovered that the Epi mini humbucker would fit in the cavity already routed for P90s. Since Gibson already had an inventory of Epi minis, they slapped them in there and named the result the Deluxe. A couple of years later, Norlin (clueless though they were) put actual full size humbuckers in the newly reissued Standard, but they kept producing Deluxes into the early '80s.

My main electric is a Norlin-era Deluxe, and I love it. It has a sound that suits me better than the full-size pickup model.

RAB

The mini-PAFs found on 1960-early 1963 Epiphones (and having the same stickers as on a full-sized PAF) sound AMAZINGLY GOOD! Rich tone with a lot of punch and more top-end than a full-sized 'bucker...

T

Troels

Originally it was to use up the stock they had when they bought Epiphone, but why they decided to use them over P-90's after a couple of years was probably to keep the noise down and the fact that they didn't need a lot of tweaking to make them fit. But that's just a guess on my part.

It's funny, I'ver never seen one "naked."

Your guess is right... but the reason why you haven't seen one "naked" is that it's simply going to pieces if taken apart! The cover is an important part of the connstruction - like modern cars without independant chassis.

TomGuitar

Originally it was to use up the stock they had when they bought Epiphone...

Just a minor clarification that may only be semantic, but Epiphone, while still independent prior to being purchased by Gibson, did not make the mini-humbuckers. They were still using the New York style single-coils, as did Gibson in the first Gibson-made Epiphones. It's when Gibson ran out of those that they started using the mini-hum in Gibson-made Epiphones. Around 1961.

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
just to add... basically bucking the hum in a P-90 form factor so to speak!

Bryan

pablomago

Just a minor clarification that may only be semantic, but Epiphone, while still independent prior to being purchased by Gibson, did not make the mini-humbuckers. They were still using the New York style single-coils, as did Gibson in the first Gibson-made Epiphones. It's when Gibson ran out of those that they started using the mini-hum in Gibson-made Epiphones. Around 1961.

I stand corrected!
Let me see if I now have this right.
Gibson made Mini-Buckers to use in Epi's, but around that time (1969) they discontinued USA made Epi's and had a stock of Mini's to use up so they stuck them in LP "Deluxes".

I got my New Yorker singles mixed up with my mini-humbuckers.

We still need to see a mini naked or "exploded!"

Jurius

minibucker.jpg