The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

How I Learned to Stop Worrying about Original Condition and Love refinished Norlins

Ok, hereís the story.. I got this piece off ebay for several hundred dollars half year ago Ė it was a sunburst custom with serial 101653. I donít have any clue why, but on the former owners spraypainted it gold Ė probably in glamrock fever. Next guy bought it as a renovation project, and stripped all paint. Unfortunatelly, he didnít used paint remover but sandpaper and removed paint, also binding and most of the serial number. Thankfuly there were no breaks, except for mini switch holes. These pictures were taken at my friendís luthier workshop before any work was done..

There are some pictures, from binding applying..

This is after spraying with base black color and artificial aging with shellack

After several months of waiting and drying of nitrolacquer and the D-day finally came and this is the result.

It seems it was worth to save it, it turned out to be very nice guitar even though itís not a collectors dream. So if any of you guys got any old gibson, Iím willing to buy it cheaply from you and refinish it.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member winered82's Avatar

Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about Original Condition and Love refinished Norli

jeez, looks good! Nice job.

Re: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about Original Condition and Love refinished Norli

wow-nice work!!

looks delicious
    Check out my music here

https://m.soundcloud.com/christian-berrian-1
    That's instrumental music I recorded a while back
    Finally after many years, and some rough times, I am forming new band with my wife. Got a great bassist who has a jazz degree but his fav base player is Cliff Burton. Just need a drummer. Here is my wife's old band, we will be doing some of these
    https://m.soundcloud.com/eve-evol-purrr
    Peace
    EC1000

Les Paul Forum Member Arnold Layne's Avatar

brilliant job!
    "The Les Paul it seems is the mythical white whale to your Captain Ahab and we here on the LPF are rowing the boat." Texas Blues.

Les Paul Forum Member

LOOKS GREAT!

Great result.

Jesus H Christ...fine work.

wowzers what a great job

In the Zone/Backstage Pass fast ricky love's Avatar

Awesome! I love these early '70's Norlins... they deserve a better rap than they get.
    bandsawnyc.com

Quote Originally Posted by fast ricky love View Post
    Awesome! I love these early '70's Norlins... they deserve a better rap than they get.
    Totally agree. Great guitars that are overlooked.

All Access/Backstage Pass Sprinter36's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fast ricky love View Post
    I agree!

Sprinter
    '78 Les Paul Deluxe
    '99 Les Paul Standard

Sweet!

Although, honestly, I prefer the sunburst customs...

I love threads like these. Great job man.

what a great save.

- Don

Originally Posted by reswot
    A 50's Special is, IMO, the coolest guitar ever made.

Les Paul Forum Member Billy Porter's Avatar

Really nice work

Iíd have left the front natural but then, I am a big Ronno fan

Must feel great to bring it back to life
    Youíre never alone with a schizophrenic

Well you know, I would love it in tobacco sunburst, or wine red finish but fixing those mini switch holes was bit tough.. expecially that hideous square hole. What's great about refinishing or shall I say saving old guitars, is that satisfying feeling that I would sound and play well as long as you'll rebuild them in proper way.
    I'd like to get this SG and "save it" but seller refuses to send it to Europe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...66#description Probably not the nicest SG you've seen, but I guess it could be helped

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Well you know, I would love it in tobacco sunburst, or wine red finish but fixing those mini switch holes was bit tough.. expecially that hideous square hole. What's great about refinishing or shall I say saving old guitars, is that satisfying feeling that I would sound and play well as long as you'll rebuild them in proper way.
    I'd like to get this SG and "save it" but seller refuses to send it to Europe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...66#description Probably not the nicest SG you've seen, but I guess it could be helped
    that SG needs a LOT of love...

Les Paul Forum Member frank thomson's Avatar

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I-LOVE-NORLINS-!

did i already say sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Prog - great to see the guitar in its refinished glory! I'm the one who sold it to you. When I bought it, it had been refinished by an autobody shop in what I like to refer to as "pimp gold" with an unbelievably thick poly clearcoat on top. I started to try to take off the paint, but got nowhere with a viscous paint stripper. I turned to a heat gun (yeah, I know, not the best idea) to get the finish off. In the process the binding came off as well, but it needed replacing since the first refinisher must have used a power sander and sanded down the cutaway horn and top of the headstock down to nothing. They had actually painted a white stripe where the binding was supposed to be on the horn. When I finally got the finish off the top, I realized that it had all the holes for the mini-toggles filled with bondo! There was a large crack between the holes that disintegrated where you can see the rectangular defect in the original photo. At that point I resigned myself to refinishing it as a black beauty, but I just didn't have the time to tackle such a monumental task. Just out of curiosity, did my binding channels work out on the horn, or did you have to recut them?

Sorry about the loss of the serial number - when I stripped the finish you could barely make it out. One light pass with sandpaper and it was gone forever. The prior refinisher had sanded it down quite a bit. I took pictures along the way to try and document everything, but I had a computer crash and the pics disappeared along with the serial. The guitar didn't have it's original electronics in it, so I didn't have any way of dating it. By the serial and the characteristics of the guitar, I guessed it was mid-70s.

I played her for a few months before starting the refinish project - she's a great player. It seemed like a light guitar, too - what did the final weight turn out after all? Glad to see you completed the task in such a stellar fashion! Funny thing - right after I sold this one to you, I bought a '74 black LPC! Guess I had to satisfy that itch.
    Last edited by ajchance; 10-27-08 at 09:48 PM.

Here's a few more before photos:

You can see a little of the green bondo filler in the toggle switch hole.

Serial's gone!

Binding sanded down...

Here's where they had paint to cover up the sanded away binding channel on the horn.

Quote Originally Posted by ajchance View Post
    Prog - great to see the guitar in its refinished glory! I'm the one who sold it to you.
    Hey Jeff, I couldn't locate you email address to get these pictures to you. Anyway, guitar plays great and looking for a way to get that serial number & "made in usa" back on headstock.

I scanned through your pics again in admiration. I may get the bug again and find a less demanding project. What did you use to fill the defects in the top? Did you have to do any more work on the binding channels? I tried to get them routed out again by hand, but wasn't sure if that was going to work well enough to have the binding sit flat.

Les Paul Forum Member soulwobby's Avatar

talking about a ressurection! very nice job!
    life sucks, get a helmet...

songpage

THAT is a great thread title! BTW, "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite?"

Les Paul Forum Member CustomPlayer's Avatar

What a beaut! Nice job. I love the Norlins and would never part with mine. Thanks for saving this one.
    When you blow it, babe, You got to blow it right
    Oh baby, if you fake it, mama, Baby, fake with all your might