• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Studio gem series

jeffc

Am looking for a P-90 Gibson at the moment, and if I see one of these it may be coming home with me. If I ever see another one.

Like this one ?

EB6050.jpg

EB6050b.jpg

taftmcintosh

The high action was not what bothered me. The tuning keys were yuk. That guitar would not stay in tune for six bars of a song it seemed. I have better tuners, but I never installed them because they were not gold plated. I think that if I had swapped out tuners (and I had not bought the R9), then I would still have that guitar. Blue is my favorite color. I have 8 other blue guitars. This one fit in very nicely.

As far as the action goes, I have a PRS that has the lowest action of any guitar that I have ever owned. Even my '75 LP Custom was low, but the PRS takes the cake. No buzz at all. But I dislike buzz and fret out in a big way. So I don't mind having high action. However, the picture is deceiving. There is no way the action was a 1/2 inch. It was more like 1/8 inch - which is still substantially high for most folks.

You were saying in your post that you didnt miss the playing action all that much. Pictures of a players action can definitely be deceiving, i actually play with high action myself on several of my guitars.

L"G" King

I have noticed that my headstock (pitch) angle is definately steeper than my '85 LPC. If the LPC is 14 degrees, the GEM is 15 or more (don't know how to acurately measure)...anybody else notice this on their GEM's...?

reverbbb

You were saying in your post that you didnt miss the playing action all that much. Pictures of a players action can definitely be deceiving, i actually play with high action myself on several of my guitars.

Yeah, you are right. I am typing from both sides of my mouth.

I guess in my first post I meant "playing action" to mean playing time or just time in my hands. The neck felt good, the frets were fairly large for a LP (which I like) and the action (height) was about where I liked it, though I could get along with lower action and no buzz. But the number one problem was the tuners. The loose tuning caused me to avoid that guitar. Hence, it got less playing 'action' (time).

jubelo

yeah... if I wouldnt have wanted my R9 it'll be still in my house... it played like butter, perfect action, everything...:applaude

btw:
it had some kind of story connected to it... it was brought by some strange guy to my friend's guitar-shop for selling. My friend got told that the guitar actually belongs to another guy who didnt pay the rent for the rehearsal room for quite a few months. So he simply grabbed this guitar and other stuff out of the cellar to sell it and to get his money. Well, I was ready to buy it, when the police showed up asking my friend to hand over this guitar. The owner in the meantime has sued the other guy ripping him off. The guitar ended up in the archives of the police for another year or so until all law-things are settled. Then all of a sudden obviously all things have been sorted out and it was brought back to my friend's shop, who was kinda happy, since he already had paid the money to the "ripper" and was afraid having paid money and ending up with no guitar... he was a very small store, so it hurt his finances notable. Now I bought it... :2cool

PIT... :salude

Wow, that was quite the story.
I'll bet that guitar had some great mojo.
I would have done almost everything just to keep that Lovely Gem LP.

Dino_k

It's VERY purple. I had an Amethyst and I loved the way it looked and sounded - the Purple Paul of Power!!! Definitely a big fat honk tone. But unlike what I'm seeing here, to me the neck was too thin. Broke my heart to sell it, but my stubby little sausages couldn't fit on the fingerboard. These are, by far one of the best (and least known) deals on a great LP!

jeffc

It's VERY purple. I had an Amethyst and I loved the way it looked and sounded - the Purple Paul of Power!!! Definitely a big fat honk tone. But unlike what I'm seeing here, to me the neck was too thin. Broke my heart to sell it, but my stubby little sausages couldn't fit on the fingerboard. These are, by far one of the best (and least known) deals on a great LP!

Do you have PICS ? :photos

pit_s_xroad

Wow, that was quite the story.
I'll bet that guitar had some great mojo.
I would have done almost everything just to keep that Lovely Gem LP.

yeah it had... but if you can't have both (R9 and GEM) :wah a decision had
to be made...:hmm I wanted the R9 desperately so I did almost eveything to
get the R9...:ganz

PIT... :salude

Schtang

Did that Yesterday !

well done - They just sound better as they age, a very sweet guitar. Now don't be tempted to sell that for a 56 re-issue with P-90s or deluxe - not worth it - the gem is the equal if not better than the R6 and deluxe.:dude:

jeffc

well done - They just sound better as they age, a very sweet guitar. Now don't be tempted to sell that for a 56 re-issue with P-90s or deluxe - not worth it - the gem is the equal if not better than the R6 and deluxe.:dude:

Great then ! Of course I considered a 56 ri, but for half the price, I've read that this was a great bang for the buck.

I was on the verge of buying a blue Firebird VII, but the dealer was asking more then I was willing to pay. So no deal.

Why:)hmm ) at this moment I thought to myself, maybe I should try to find one of these GEM 'Ive read about 2 years ago . In the past I was never able to find...Everytime I tried to find one, there was none available. I eventualy stopped looking for one.

This time I took 2 clicks ;

First stop GBASE. Nothing there. Second stop Gruhn ; Bingo !

Considering how rare these are, I thought That it was a sign :)ganz ), I had to buy it.

Can't wait to get it home :applaude