• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Studio gem series

jeffc

Anyone has kept a picture from Gibson showing all 4/5 finishes of the LES PAUL STUDIO GEM SERIES ?

If not, please post pics of your Gem studio !:photos

pit_s_xroad

I used to own this emerald green one...

I am left with these two crappy pics of it... unfortunately...

...has been nice guitar with quite a fat neck...

for my R9 it had go...

page_lp-gem.jpg

LP-gem.jpg

PIT... :salude

RickN

I had a '96 in Topaz. I put in some more modern 500k pots and a pair of Duncan P90s and gigged that sucker for several years. Those mid-'90s Les Pauls were some damn-good guitars. Mine had a really nice neck - very comfortable. Sometimes I regret selling it, but I don't gig these days so I'm gradually thinning the old herd... but these are good guitars, and I wouldn't necessarily be beyond picking up another some day in the future if a killer deal crossed my path...

lp_studio_gem_8x6.jpg

lp_studio_gem_gig.jpg

jubelo

I used to own this emerald green one...

I am left with these two crappy pics of it... unfortunately...

...has been nice guitar with quite a fat neck...

for my R9 it had go...

page_lp-gem.jpg

LP-gem.jpg

What a good looking guitar!
I love that color.

hutman777

yo iam 53yr.s young , when i wuzz 17 i worked at a real ''gas-station'' the wrench's that worked there all in there 20's rode 1200 shovel-heads harley's so instead of buyin sum piece of shit 750 Honda for a forth of the price i went about mowin yards pumpin gas an asked every question i could about learnin about what i could afford .. U wat a LP just do it , sumtimes a Man has to hide sum money , nuttin wrong there ya just got to play it cool ... had my 67 el.glide for 26yrs. then i traded it up for a 55panhead the year Mom let me lose... know FIND YOUR LP $$$$$$$$$$

jeffc

yo iam 53yr.s young , when i wuzz 17 i worked at a real ''gas-station'' the wrench's that worked there all in there 20's rode 1200 shovel-heads harley's so instead of buyin sum piece of shit 750 Honda for a forth of the price i went about mowin yards pumpin gas an asked every question i could about learnin about what i could afford .. U wat a LP just do it , sumtimes a Man has to hide sum money , nuttin wrong there ya just got to play it cool ... had my 67 el.glide for 26yrs. then i traded it up for a 55panhead the year Mom let me lose... know FIND YOUR LP $$$$$$$$$$
:wah

:hmm

Anything wrong with my choice ?

abstract

Drunk posting is like drunk dialing.

Usually a bad idea.

:wah :hmm

:photos

Ad_02Std

Always wanted one of these since I saw a new one in my local music shop. Never seen another one in person. Would love an emerald or saphire one. Have a black '97 Studio and that's a great guitar, just something very right about it. Am looking for a P-90 Gibson at the moment, and if I see one of these it may be coming home with me. If I ever see another one.

reverbbb

I sold this guitar a while back (sacrificed for an R9 that I couldn't afford, but bought any way). I sure miss the way it looked and sounded. But I don't miss the playing action so much. I am spoiled to my R8 & R9 guitars. They really feel right for me.

LPGem-1.jpg

LPGem-3.jpg

Schtang

I own quite a few Les Pauls Standard, Classics etc - and unlike a lot of people who have posted I still have my Gem - everyone should have at least one P-90 guitar and this is the only one I own.. They are a great sounding guitar - big neck though not as nice as the 60's neck of my Standard, Classic and SG, on saying that it does have a beautiful action and fretboard. I have never played a regular studio with humbuckers as the appealing thing with the gem was the P-90s.

1gemLP.jpg

GEM_april.jpg

Last edited:

taftmcintosh

I sold this guitar a while back (sacrificed for an R9 that I couldn't afford, but bought any way). I sure miss the way it looked and sounded. But I don't miss the playing action so much. I am spoiled to my R8 & R9 guitars. They really feel right for me.

LPGem-1.jpg

LPGem-3.jpg

Its a beautiful guitar, but i can see the action in the photos, it looks insanely high, like a good half inch.

Schtang

Its a beautiful guitar, but i can see the action in the photos, it looks insanely high, like a good half inch.

Don't worry about that action - Like any good guitar it can be adjusted. Who knows maybe he has set it up for slide, or maybe it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look a little high.:wail

pit_s_xroad

What a good looking guitar!
I love that color.

yeah... if I wouldnt have wanted my R9 it'll be still in my house... it played like butter, perfect action, everything...:applaude

btw:
it had some kind of story connected to it... it was brought by some strange guy to my friend's guitar-shop for selling. My friend got told that the guitar actually belongs to another guy who didnt pay the rent for the rehearsal room for quite a few months. So he simply grabbed this guitar and other stuff out of the cellar to sell it and to get his money. Well, I was ready to buy it, when the police showed up asking my friend to hand over this guitar. The owner in the meantime has sued the other guy ripping him off. The guitar ended up in the archives of the police for another year or so until all law-things are settled. Then all of a sudden obviously all things have been sorted out and it was brought back to my friend's shop, who was kinda happy, since he already had paid the money to the "ripper" and was afraid having paid money and ending up with no guitar... he was a very small store, so it hurt his finances notable. Now I bought it... :2cool

Last edited:

L"G" King

Studio/54 Conversion...This is a well-played '96 that I gold-topped, added binding, SD Vintage P-90's, and a Gotoh aluminium stop tail to. Love the chuncky necks on these. One of my favorite guitars to play.
100_9592.jpg

Last edited:
D

Daan

Studio/54 Conversion...This is a well-played '96 that I gold-topped, added binding, SD Vintage P-90's, and a Gotoh aluminium stop tale to. Love the chuncky necks on these. One of my favorite guitars to play.
100_9592.jpg

wheuw this originally was a GEM? Where can I add binding? :p It looks killer!

reverbbb

The high action was not what bothered me. The tuning keys were yuk. That guitar would not stay in tune for six bars of a song it seemed. I have better tuners, but I never installed them because they were not gold plated. I think that if I had swapped out tuners (and I had not bought the R9), then I would still have that guitar. Blue is my favorite color. I have 8 other blue guitars. This one fit in very nicely.

As far as the action goes, I have a PRS that has the lowest action of any guitar that I have ever owned. Even my '75 LP Custom was low, but the PRS takes the cake. No buzz at all. But I dislike buzz and fret out in a big way. So I don't mind having high action. However, the picture is deceiving. There is no way the action was a 1/2 inch. It was more like 1/8 inch - which is still substantially high for most folks.