• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marc Bolan's Les Paul

Zinc Alloy

Nothing from that jam session made it on the album.
Bolan is also rumoured to have played on Ike and Tina's Nutbush City Limits..

Kap'n

I'm not sure he's playing anything, but isn't that Marc doing the spoken second voice during the chorus of the title track?

There are a number of things Marc's listed as doing on the liner notes of my 20th Century Boy 3-record set. I'd have to go dig it out though.

Cody

I'm not sure he's playing anything, but isn't that Marc doing the spoken second voice during the chorus of the title track?

No, that should be the Sunshine Superman himself - Donovan. He's the second singer on the entire song.

wooderson

The thought of
a. Marc Bolan and
b. Ike Turner
together in one room at the same time is terrifying.

Flyabiplane

When I first read the specs on this , I though good grief...! What a mess....Yesterday I saw one, a low ser# VOS and wow...great neck shape and great feel to it..!

rgs

When I first read the specs on this , I though good grief...! What a mess....Yesterday I saw one, a low ser# VOS and wow...great neck shape and great feel to it..!

How do those pups with the alnico 3's sound?

wooderson

Yes - I was finding it hard to visualise that one.

Just Marc Bolan and Ike Turner being in the same room together is illegal in none different US states.

Apparently its a public health hazard, something like matter and anti-matter creating a blast that takes out half the county.

zombiwoof

There's some good pics and info about the new Bolan Tribute LP here:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/..., Fender Road Worn Player, EVH Stealthcontent

Click on the pic to get a photo gallery.
They even copied the gold tailpiece and nickel bridge of the original.
I'm wondering about these Alnico 3 pickups on the Bolan and the Page LP's (and I think the Clapton also). Were the original magnets A3, or did they just use A3 because it helped them approximate the sound of the original pickups?.

Al

Billy Porter

I'd love one of these but I'm guitar'd out :)

Could never understand why Gibson haven't done a Mick Ronson Tribute. All they need do is not spray the front of a 68RI :rolleyes:

Yeah I know - Guitar Hanger do them

frazettafan

Just Marc Bolan and Ike Turner being in the same room together is illegal in none different US states.

Apparently its a public health hazard, something like matter and anti-matter creating a blast that takes out half the county.

:lol :applaude Exactly!! To be a fly on the wall at that session! :biggrin:

I can't imagine Ike would have been too impressed with Marc's playing for a start.

Last edited:

Tweety

I spoke to Music Zoo and they said all the necks on the VOSs are on the thin side :peace2

wooderson

:lol :applaude Exactly!! To be a fly on the wall at that session! :biggrin:

I can't imagine Ike would have been too impressed with Marc's playing for a start.

Ech, that was supposed to be "nine," not "none." The other state legislatures (and the Federal government) regarded the possibility of a Turner-Bolan Axis as catastrophic, but at the same time inherently unlikely, on the level of pirates teaming up with faeries to corner the commodity futures market.

Marc's playing works for Marc's music, but unless his level of musicianship was way better than he let on, I don't think he could keep up with Ike Turner. Ike was a hell of a musician and a perfectionist.

I also cannot imagine Ike being real too patient with it; he came by his skills the hard way.

frazettafan

Ech, that was supposed to be "nine," not "none." The other state legislatures (and the Federal government) regarded the possibility of a Turner-Bolan Axis as catastrophic, but at the same time inherently unlikely, on the level of pirates teaming up with faeries to corner the commodity futures market.

Marc's playing works for Marc's music, but unless his level of musicianship was way better than he let on, I don't think he could keep up with Ike Turner. Ike was a hell of a musician and a perfectionist.

I also cannot imagine Ike being real too patient with it; he came by his skills the hard way.

:lol :rofl A "Turner-Bolan axis" - YES!! We could have had "Bolan-Turner Overdrive" :peace2

I don't think he was hiding any light under any bushels. I recall a story where Andy Scott met him in a club and after several beers together said to Marc - "Well....be honest, you can't really play can you?" Bolan's reply: "Well fuck-off, man!", turned and left the club. :biggrin:

wooderson

Personally, I think that the idea of Marc's Cosmic Space Elf schtick teamed up with early 1970's Ike Turner - Afros, Polyester Suits and Carefully Choreographed Dance Steps Act would be best left to the darker recesses of the imagination.

Like the commodity markets thing, it seems like fun and games until you find yourself having to pay $35 for a cup of morning coffee.

oldflame

Heads up!

I played a Bolan signature today in Melbourne Australia...Bolan 005. Came in this week.Man it was heavy. I'm guessing at least 10Ib. Has a LP Custom feel to it. Def a one piece back. Played ok but nothing special at all I'm afraid. Bit dissapointed to be honest with you.The top on this thing was more of a natural colour than orange. Or, a very dulled off orange.

I reckon The Miz had the right idea converting the 57' but I would use a historic 56' or maybe even a 54'/55' wrap over, do some routing, fit a ABR-1 and stop tail and put some more dents in it. :)

Keefocaster

Billy Porter? Do I sense a Ronson fan as well?! As far as I know, Mick used that deluxe as a spare guitar in around 1981ish, such as on the Never alone with a Schizophrenic tour, although I've also seen footage of him breaking a string at one of these concerts and picking up a strat instead, so who knows?! I didn't know it ever belonged to Marc though..

I've heard rumours of Marc's V having floated round near London, in the Croydon area, (where I'm from) a while back. He was quite friendly with one of the guitar shop owners round here that I know quite well, and he seemed to think it was around fairly recently.

I almost bought the Ronson Les Paul Deluxe. I have a letter detailing the entire story. I was also give some photos of Ronno playing a Deluxe. It does look RED , but this could be the stage lighting. I have photos, but I am not allowed to post attachements as I am new here. Keith

Last edited:

ajay taylor

There's a thread on mylespaul Forum, and the OP and his father are in possession of Marc's old Lester. At the beginning of the thread, the OP wasn't sure of what they had, but as the thread goes on it becomes obvious that it is indeed Marc's missing Orange Les Paul, although it's no longer Orange.

The thread obviously is under Vintage Les Pauls.

Also, it is indeed a '59 Burst that Marc himself turned into an Orange Top. Cool Read!

I know that this is an old thread, but the discovery is new. Early on in this thread, someone said that a dealer in London tried to sell him a Les Paul that was Marc's. Well, it WAS Marc's stolen Orange Lester. The same one that Gibson made 500 copies of. There was no serial number with four or five neck changes in its lifetime, but photographic evidence takes that Les Paul back to its original iteration, which was a '59 Sunburst. Marc did all of the body work himself, but I'm sure that He hired someone to do the neck replacements. I hope someone reads the thread, because it reads like a detective story!

Last edited: