• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1999 R9 40TH ann.....

trendkiller

Hi.

Still a great forum with cool threads and useful info!
Long time since I posted here....

Question: Are all '99 LP '59 Reissues the 40th ann models???

My own '99 LP '59 (with original PAF's) is not a Murphy, and without a COA
as well. There seems to be a bit confusion.....
As far as I know, all the '59 Reissues from 1999 are 40th ann.models.
Murphy or not.

Any comments?
Thanks!

2B

kwoo64

Yes, all 99 Sunburst Historics are the 40th Anniversary regardless of being a Murphy. I have one right now, has 40th Anniversary on Certificate.

trendkiller

Hi kwoo64.
Thanks. :)
When I got my '99 R9 a few years back, it came without the certificate.
Long story short, a friend had stucked this guitar in the "closet" for some time after he got it from the original owner. The cert. probably has been lost somewhere on the way......

But it might be that some did not come with a cert?

2B

CR9

No not all 99's were 40th ann. models. Only the ones with a cert. The general production models did not get certs. There were 40th ann. Murphy aged ones with a special Murphy signed cert. and 40th ann. with a plain cert. and then there were the general production models that were not part of the 40th ann models which did not get a cert. This was a limited model and not part of the general production run. If you didn't get a cert. then it probably isn't part of the special 40th ann. run. If the original owner lost the cert. it would be very hard to tell unless it was a Murphy. Tom kept better records than Gibson did on the 99's.

http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/1999/mar5b.html

Rev.WillieVK

No not all 99's were 40th ann. models. Only the ones with a cert. The general production models did not get certs. ... This was a limited model and not part of the general production run. If you didn't get a cert. then it probably isn't part of the special 40th ann. run. If the original owner lost the cert. it would be very hard to tell unless it was a Murphy. Tom kept better records than Gibson did on the 99's.

http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/1999/mar5b.html

When you say 'general production run' are you talking about R9s or generic (non-Historic) Les Paul Standards?

In other words, are there both:

- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 40th Anniversary model (including Murphys)
and
- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 NON-Anniversary model

...made in 1999?

Just trying to learn here. :)

trendkiller

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yep, here is the confusion.
I can easily understand the limited run of Murphys stating a "40th ann"
model.
But why would Gibson put out a range of "std R9's", then give some a cert, and call these a 40th ann model. Then another run for exactly the same guitar without the cert. All beeing made in '99, and some R9's are still not a 40th ann model. Makes me wonder what Gibson were doing at the time....
I guess there are also some examples for byers waitning for the extra brown lifton case which never came?

Well, I have to check with the original owner of my R9 for the cert.
Hopefully it can be tracked down. Nice to know anyway.

Any more comments on this issue?
All info is appreciated, thanks.

2B.

CR9

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yep, here is the confusion.
I can easily understand the limited run of Murphys stating a "40th ann"
model.
But why would Gibson put out a range of "std R9's", then give some a cert, and call these a 40th ann model. Then another run for exactly the same guitar without the cert. All beeing made in '99, and some R9's are still not a 40th ann model. Makes me wonder what Gibson were doing at the time....
I guess there are also some examples for byers waitning for the extra brown lifton case which never came?

Well, I have to check with the original owner of my R9 for the cert.
Hopefully it can be tracked down. Nice to know anyway.

Any more comments on this issue?
All info is appreciated, thanks.

2B.

It does seem strange but look at this year, 2008, with some 50th ann. R9's and some not. What about 2007 and the R7? Should all of them be 50th ann. R7's? (my opinion is yes, but not in Gibson's eyes)

When I said "general production" it has no reference to the Gibson USA line. It is the R9's that went to all the dealers. there was a very limited amount of R9's that were designated as 40th ann. Some were Murphy aged and some were not. The only ones that got certs. were the 40th ann. models.

From what Edwin Wilson told me, "yes there were 3 R9 models in 1999".
- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 40th Anniversary model (including Murphys) all with certs.
and
- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 NON-Anniversary model without certs. for the large number of dealers that just want a 59.

The aged and non-aged were to please both sides of the aged issue (aged vs, non-aged) and give them a limited edition anniversary guitar. Then there are the dealers that just want the normal R9 to save the customer a few bucks cause they want a "player" and not a collectible. It kind of makes sense from the buyers perspective.

nickster

Mine came with the certificate and the followed by delivery of the lifton brown case with a copy of Beauty of the Burst .

Gold Tone

Bought mine 2 years ago n the bay. $1800, near mint, no Lifton, no BOTB, did have the 40th Ann Cert though si it is the 40th Ann model.

Dalbergia_nigra

- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 40th Anniversary model (including Murphys) all with certs.
and
- 1999 Les Paul Historic R9 NON-Anniversary model without certs. for the large number of dealers that just want a 59.

Hi Dan,
I have a '99 R9 with a matching COA but no other collateral (BOTB book or lifton case). Since it has a COA, sounds like that means it's a 40th anniversary model(?). If so, that's pretty cool - I didn't know that when I bought it.

Plankspanker

There was a run of '99 R9s that VW commissioned, Tom Murphy was involved to some degree painting or finishing. For the most part, these were nice looking and playing Historic R9s. I think to some degree these instruments shifted general opinion away from the exaggerated looking Top towards the more realistic looking ones.
Maybe someone in the know like Mark Bishop can chime in here.

CR9

Hi Dan,
I have a '99 R9 with a matching COA but no other collateral (BOTB book or lifton case). Since it has a COA, sounds like that means it's a 40th anniversary model(?). If so, that's pretty cool - I didn't know that when I bought it.

Howdy! I don't think all of them got the book and case, maybe just the Murphy aged ones got the book. If your cert. says 40th then it most certainly is a 40th. The general run did not have a cert. I have gotten several different answers from the guys at the Custom Shop, but all agree that only the ones with the cert are the 40th ann. models. The Murphy aged ones that went to Yamano in Japan that I have seen are outstanding.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
New, you got your '99 R9 with a black case. You had to send in the reg card to get the brown case and cert. All R9's got them in '99 if you sent in for it. I was there!!:rofl Ronn David had his own deal going due to his thing with Murphy and the aged guitars.

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
ALL '99 '59's were 40th annv. guitars and came with COA's. I've never heard of or seen one that wasn't. And you could get the BOTB book, strap, COA and your brown reissue Lifton case with EVERY '59 made that year by sending in your warranty. Without sending in the warranty you'd only have the guitar, black case, hang tags and warranty. The Murphy aged '99's were the same deal except you got a hard cover BOTB book and a 2nd COA.

TheMiz

ALL '99 '59's were 40th annv. guitars and came with COA's. I've never heard of or seen one that wasn't. And you could get the BOTB book, strap, COA and your brown reissue Lifton case with EVERY '59 made that year by sending in your warranty. Without sending in the warranty you'd only have the guitar, black case, hang tags and warranty. The Murphy aged '99's were the same deal except you got a hard cover BOTB book and a 2nd COA.

You could also do it online so you didn't need to mail in your card and you could keep it all intact.

Tim

If the only difference was a certificate, "40th" would mean nothing to me. I remember Gibson was very slow getting the goodies out, and it seems like they ran out and some folks never got everything they were supposed to, but I could be wrong about that.

trendkiller

Hi.
Now, this make sense.
I've heard some getting the Lifton case looong time after they received the guitar and std black case. Maybe Gibson took a chance and hoped that not everyone would send back the warranty? Hehehe.
And, again as all the '99 "non Murphy" R9's were the same guitars, they all
actually would be a 40th ann. If not, what's the difference except a cert???
So, I'm still confused.

Cloud 9 has some good points which seems to be the fact as well.
I guess this matter is not that easy to have confirmed 100%.
Anyone else?
Thanks.
2B

TheMiz

Hi.
Now, this make sense.
I've heard some getting the Lifton case looong time after they received the guitar and std black case. Maybe Gibson took a chance and hoped that not everyone would send back the warranty? Hehehe.
And, again as all the '99 "non Murphy" R9's were the same guitars, they all
actually would be a 40th ann. If not, what's the difference except a cert???
So, I'm still confused.

Cloud 9 has some good points which seems to be the fact as well.
I guess this matter is not that easy to have confirmed 100%.
Anyone else?
Thanks.
2B

The Lifton cases were more or less ordered in lots as needed.
So yes there was times when they ran out and had to wait for more to be made and shipped to them.

Wally

Here is a pic of my '99 R9....#9913XX. The original owner is a member here and bought the guitar back East in exactly the same condition in which I received it in a trade with a dealer in Hollywood, who got the guitar from the original owner...no paperwork, brown case only.

IMG_0492.jpg

So, this guitar could have come without the COA, right? IT was sold new without the black case. ????

goldtone, if you bought a guitar that is anything close to this one, you made a great deal at $1800. Theft by agreement! :)^)

The finish on this one suits my taste. who is the fellow that was spraying these at Gibson in '99. I keep forgetting his name....Mark???