• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sperzel Locking Tuners on my Les Paul, should I

Marshall Man

I would like to put Sperzels on my 05 LP Faded STD, what do you guys think? I would not put them on my 68RI or my GO, but why not this guitar?

Thanks guys.

Jurius

I've got Sperzels on my Strat. I like the way they function but hate the way they look. That's why I wouldn't do it.

What are you going to gain by putting Sperzels on a Les Paul?

toxpert

I've got Sperzels on my Strat. I like the way they function but hate the way they look. That's why I wouldn't do it.

What are you going to gain by putting Sperzels on a Les Paul?

The same theme for me - except I have them on my Tele. Don't like the look so much either.

I use the regular Klusons on my lesters and have no problem with tuning stability.

RocknTommy

I have them on one of my Studios.
Replaced the tuners after two got banged
up pretty bad one night.:rolleyes:
It's not rare or a great looker of a guitar but is one of my best players. They work great and makes string changes a breeze.

Axel

Gary Moore put Sperzels on Peter Green's Les Paul...

Lindgren

A little while ago i put Sperzel locking tuners on my SG Special, the mounting hole already had the right size, the LP's does'nt.
Great tuners, but i wouldnt put them on my LP's because of the drilling/reaming.

Speaking of Sperzel..
A friend of mine told me that you could take a pair of pliers or a nipper and pull out that little stearing peg, you dont need that and 6 less hole to drill.
The tuners will however sit tight and not moving around with just the nut holding them onto the head.

This is how my SG look's like with Sperzel's.

sperzel2.JPG

sperzel.JPG

brunning

it's true that they are kind of ugly, but man are they convienient.

i've had them on my studio lite for around a decade and they make string changes so fast, i can change a string in mid-song.

for that reason alone, i'm tempted to put them on my standard, but would probably opt for the schallers for the looks alone. not a fan of the way the grovers work.

various sperzel replacement buttons are available, too

Marshall Man

Thanks guys. The reason I want them is several Strats I own have them, damn they are sweet and easy to change strings!

Don

A friend of mine told me that you could take a pair of pliers or a nipper and pull out that little stearing peg, you dont need that and 6 less hole to drill.
The tuners will however sit tight and not moving around with just the nut holding them onto the head.

Your friend's wrong. Without the pin, unless the nuts are over tightened, the tuners will turn, if not right away, eventually.

bookemdano

Ive got em on mine and they work great - it has a pro set up too.....but i have em because i bend behind the nut sometimes n hit very hard - so the problem is not at the nut. However much silicon grease or nut grease you use if it ain't enough then go for the spertzels - in IMHO that is.
Beware tho cos if you use elevens you have to drill out the string entrance hole on the bottom tunner a tad to get it to take a 48, but if you use tens then its no biggy.
I think I remember having to ream the holes on my Standard tho (its a 95)

:)

grimlyflick

No point, if you use the stringing method where the string "locks/ties" itself to the post you can get away with only one wind around the post and therefore no tuning instablity.

I use this method with the regular tuners on my Classic and it stays in tune for days. Especially if the nut is cut correctly.

You'd be better off having your nut replaced with a better one. :salude

Marshall Man

I know most people do not like to hack on a lP, but dosen't functionality mean more than looks?

buyusfear

I love the way they look, on certain guitars. Which is ultimatly why they go on (aside from the obvious, which is how well they work) My modern tele got a set the day It came in off the truck, 'cause I think it looks better with them then the stock chrome closed backs do.

tele005.jpg

tele006.jpg

tele002.jpg

buyusfearstele2.jpg

Here's a shot of my Ecplise sporting 3x3 sperzels aswell. I think they look bad ass on it, but You wouldn't catch me dead installing them on my reissue Les Paul's. Same goes for the strat. So, in regards to a Les Paul faded, if you wanted them on, then yes, go for it. If it were a reissue, I would say no. (in the end, tuning and restringing depends more on the user then the product IMHO. Which is why my guitars have Spezel, Kluson, Gotoh, Waverly, etc, and they all stay in tune.

TunersSperzelsvintage.jpg

Lindgren

Your friend's wrong. Without the pin, unless the nuts are over tightened, the tuners will turn, if not right away, eventually.

That's exactly what i've told him but he says it work's just fine...
Well...i don't know..

Nice photo's byusfear..

Marshall Man

That's exactly what i've told him but he says it work's just fine...
Well...i don't know..

The Fender sperzels do not have that "nub" and work just fine, they do not slip!