• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jimmy Page and Hiwatt! (Page R9 content)

philip_m

that's awesome!! Great playing too; you pretty much nailed the phrasing and sometimes "sloppy" playing, when he really means it... I mean that as a compliment. Sounds *incredibly* authentic.

You sure you didn't just remove Plant, Jones and Bonzo from a live track to fool us all??

WDF1

Ed that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. You and Eric have managed some of the best live Zep tones I've heard. Keep the clips coming. Very cool amp.

W

Greco

Ok, Please tell us there is somewhere that we can get the full lowdown. This must be patentable surely? This time next year you'll be millionaires! :hmm :applaude :salude

Can I get my name on the waiting list? :headbange

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Great sounds on the clips Ed. What does the balance knob and switch jack do? I saw LZ on 9/9/71 at Boston Garden. He had 2 Marshalls SL's and one of those Hiwatt heads. IIRC the Hiwatt top sat on an Orange cab.

Electric Lloyd

Absolutly stunning! And thanks for the history on Mr. Page's rig. He is absolutly my favorite player, & is responsible for me sneaking my older brother's guitar every chance I got. I never knew (much less noticed) he used Hi Watt heads during that time! Thanks for the great pics & the education!:salude :dude: :salude

kharrison

Blows my mind, has to be the closest Page tone I have heard. I'd take the Hiwatt name off of it and sell this thing. I know I want one, anyone want a 1959HW:hee :2zone

Yunpac

I think if you were to back off the gain just a touch - those clips would be absolutely perfect - great amp - super jealous@!

beck-ola

Les Paul Froum Member
Amazing! Thanks for sharing...

Here's a close up of the 'hiwatt' pedal... a mystery solved indeed!!!

74280821.jpg

pagepedalscloseupa.jpg

Ed A

Amazing! Thanks for sharing...

Here's a close up of the 'hiwatt' pedal... a mystery solved indeed!!!

74280821.jpg

pagepedalscloseupa.jpg

Thanks for posting that, its exactly what I wanted people to see, its sitting right next to the echoplex pedal!!!..... I have the functioning pedal with my amp as well. As Ive mentioned, its actually a volume cut controlled by the balance knob but apparently can he used to control the input of a second amp, which is what I assume Jimmy used it for....

beck-ola

Les Paul Froum Member
Here's a couple more from the same show. Not sure when it is, do you know!?

74280799.jpg

pagepedalscloseupc.jpg

74280819.jpg

pagepedalscloseupb.jpg

Tripower455

Nice job Ed!

Where did you get the Bulgin power indicator lamp? I couldn't find one anywhere when I built my DR504 clone........

What trannies did you use?

Also, what changes were made to the preamp? It's hard to tell from the photos?

TheBloodhound

Ed - I'm speechless! Wonderful, wonderful.
I have a question, OK, a few questions.
1 - what's that little transformer on the chassis? I wasn't aware that Hiwatts had chokes? Is that what it is?
2 - how do I get my own - I mean, I'd like to do the same thing and build my own - any tips? BOM?
And, by the way, your tone is to die for, especially the clean runs. Congratulations!
You've just put together two legends (for me, at least) Page + Hiwatts!

Alrod

Just listened to the clips. Never heard a more accurate tone. Very well done.

You're kidding right?!? Sorry, that playing/tone is not even close to Page. Let's be real here. Kudos to the guy for his effort on the amp, but let's keep this real.