• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thanks Mapleflame!!

MapleFlame

...I will have to try "The MapleFlame Mod"...

Mike my guitar Tech told me that the Home Depot screws have more steel in it so try to source some stailess that is mostly Nickle,Chrome, and Vanadium. I just picked up some from my tech yesterday and forgot to ask him what they were. I just asked.

Last edited:

MikeG59

This mod was actually given to me by Jay (Murkat) of the Gibson custom shop some time ago. I will paste the details here below:

Go to a Ace hardware store with one the adjustment wheels, locate the screw parts aisle, find the correct threaded screw(s) @ 2,1/2" with a phillips mushroom top to replace the stock 1" brass ones.
measure the height of the bridge setup on both sides, you'll need this to know where to cut the new ones.
remove old pins, drill down approx 1, 3/4" to get down into the mahogany. screw new ones in to measured length, cut off tops, file and finish new tops, make sure new tops are just below the bridges top side, dont want them to protrude, setup guitar, plug it in. do a before and after reecording for reference if you can.
Let me know what you think. Possibily... it will wake it up to a whole new level.....

good luck, have fun with it, atb~
Jay

Last edited:

MIKE20

we have Home Depot here,no Ace or Lowes...6/32 being screw size and thread...303 is a low grade stainless,304,309,310 is a higher grade...316 would be the highest grade stainless readily available to common folk...
this is a simple mod...:2cool

MapleFlame

we have Home Depot here,no Ace or Lowes...6/32 being screw size and thread...303 is a low grade stainless,304,309,310 is a higher grade...316 would be the highest grade stainless readily available to common folk...
this is a simple mod...:2cool

I must be smoking crack, I listed it in the opposite

dwagar

I tried the 'MapleFlame Mod' tonight, really easy, thanks man.

I was surprised to see my original posts were slightly bent. SS shouldn't bend.

I think it's added a bit more resonance and really digs the high notes. Maybe a bit more harmonic overtones.

Great mod, cheap and easy. Hardest part was finding the screws (my local Home Depot didn't carry them that long, but, for Canucks, Canadian Tire did).

Thanks!

MIKE20

I tried the 'MapleFlame Mod' tonight, really easy, thanks man.

I was surprised to see my original posts were slightly bent. SS shouldn't bend.

I think it's added a bit more resonance and really digs the high notes. Maybe a bit more harmonic overtones.

Great mod, cheap and easy. Hardest part was finding the screws (my local Home Depot didn't carry them that long, but, for Canucks, Canadian Tire did).

Thanks!

...Canadian Tire has 'em?....

guess, where I'm headed...

MapleFlame

I just replaced the one's in the Prereissue, man did it make a huge improvement. What's funny is, that when you do the mod keeping the same strings on, the strings loose their freshness, but I still can dramatically hear the difference.

dwagar

I think quite a bit of the improvement probably comes from the extra 1/4" of coupling too.

Either that or we're all crazy. There's always that possibility.

MikeG59

well I just completed the pigtail studs, tailpiece, bridge and stainless steel bridge studs today and i left in the bushings. no point in taking any chances once I saw that the pigtail studs screwed in nice and firm and tight. this guitar friggin sings. very nice

dwagar

and the Gibson bushings are already steel. I never replace mine either.

MIKE20

arrghhh...three crappy tires and two home despots later...no screws...will visit industrial supplier soon...

MIKE20

yes,thanks,MF.It's no biggie.I know I can easily get them from a regular fastener company but none are open today.They should have them in a higher grade of stainless as well.

BTW...the grade of stainless screws and fasteners I saw today were 18.8...

radioscooter

I hate to ask the dumb question here but it hasn't been asked yet that I have seen (all the more reason I'm sure it's dumb)

Concerning the other end of the screws - are these pointed-end wood screws or flat-end sheet metal tyoe screws? I would assume we are going for wood screws as you've described digging further into the wood of the guitar but having never removed my bridge studs - are the stock studs taper-ended like regular wood screws as well?

Also - if we are digging further down into the wood - don't we need to be cautious of splitting? Or does the existent stud hole act as a pilot?

pepejara

Another Dumb question:
Is it part of this mod to drill the wood to reach the mahogany?
Thanks!

fjminor

I hate to ask the dumb question here but it hasn't been asked yet that I have seen (all the more reason I'm sure it's dumb)

Concerning the other end of the screws - are these pointed-end wood screws or flat-end sheet metal tyoe screws? I would assume we are going for wood screws as you've described digging further into the wood of the guitar but having never removed my bridge studs - are the stock studs taper-ended like regular wood screws as well?

Also - if we are digging further down into the wood - don't we need to be cautious of splitting? Or does the existent stud hole act as a pilot?

You will be looking for a MS - Machine Screw - threaded 6-32 X 1 1/2 length. If you are not sure, try putting one of the thumbwheels on a wood or sheet metal screw? It's not happening - you need threaded rod. What I dont understand is how the Machine Screw threads into the wood - but I wont bother with that thought, as it has been this way since the beginning of time!!!

I went to Home Depot yesterday and found them - 6-32X1 1/2 Slotted Pan Head machine screws Stainless steel. They were buried so I had to do some digging. I also have looked on the web for these screws as anything in a 6-32 X 1 1/2 length is really not your standard size in that thread - they are on the web, but most screw dealers screw you in the shipping fee - :bug

I am getting ready to try this upgrade - thanks again Mapleflame for the information to enable this change.:dude: :2cool

..and also Danelectro for your information also....:headbange :dude:

Last edited: