• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How much Page tone is in the Grover Tuners?

mack

does anyone know what kind of picks that page used ? I read someplace it was herco-flex, but Ive never tryed them.
I have a rather large collection of picks, and even the size/thickness of a pick can alter the guitars sound a little, it is audible.

If someone is looking for that page tone, the tuners would only be a small part of that package-looks, sound or otherwise. I always use super slinky 9's, for strings, they work best for me, and I think thats what page used too.

marc1kim

I recently installed Grovers in my LP and I love them. I don't know if there is much of a sound difference though. When I went to a Joe Bonamassa clinic he said that he thought the Grovers on his LP made it sound a hair thicker. Who knows...

Grovers are easy to install but you have to ream out the holes slightly to get them to fit. I paid $30 to have them installed. There are a couple types; 14 to 1 ratio and 18 to 1. You can check their website for more details.

http://www.grotro.com/MainCataLOG.html

How hard is it to go from a Lester that comes factory equipped with Grovers to Klusions? Just wondering how hard it would be.

LesterP

Would you say the fundamental note became somehow more prominent with the tuner change?

I'm wondering if it's a combination of the JP neck thinness at the center, and the added mass of the heavier Grovers at the headstock.

The guitar was a little bit louder, though it still had some nice warmth (for a Studio). The attack seemed a little different, so perhaps the initial note (fundamental) was a little more up-front.

I liked the change, and would tell anyone that it's worth trying.

Patrick Ginnaty

I noticed a small change in the tone, when I put Grovers on my R8, but have no idea if it makes it sound more "Page-like". I like 'em better, that was the deciding factor.

I suspect that it's a combination of shaved neck, Grovers, and body mass for
the acoustic tone, added to the different pickups and electronics when plugged in.

But... I liked Phil's answer. It was straight to the point, sans BS.

Skoorbdooh

Uhh . . . . tone in the tuners ?? Hmmmmm. This has got to be more of that neck shape and the weight of the instrument. All of the JPLP´s I have played had that sound (acoustically). I did not like any of them because of the neck shape. You notice this as well in Ibanez and other uber-shred guitars with ultra-thin necks. The instrument gets louder acoustically due to less mass in the neck but this is all at the expense of stability in the neck. The reason that I like big necks is that when you find the right one, you can have all that a thin one does and more. And you don´t have to adjust it nearly as often.

I have never come across a Gibson that had tuning problems due to the tuners. For that matter, 100% of the time, when someone comes to me to have their tuners changed or with complaints of tuning problems, there is a nut problem, a string installation problem, a set up problem or operator error that is causing the problem. My only real niggle with Gibson would be the fact that the peghead is so thick (on USA´s) that the 6th string sometimes has to be wound over then under on the tuning peg to get more than one wrap. And with regards to why the nuts are not perfect - the people who work in final setup have to complete 24 guitars a day to keep their position. That works out to approx. 20 min. per guitar to adjust the action, slot the nut, set the pickup height and fine tune the whole thing. After having seen it first hand, I cut those people some slack and accept that a brand new Gibson needs to be fine tuned for it´s first owner. After all, it´s a guitar, not a microwave.

Last edited:

Minibucker

Hey this is the only way I get my exersize!!! To get so worked up!!!!!

I guess I shouldn't try and explain myself. I should know by now, that rare is the bird who can understand what I am trying to say.

So, when I buy old USA Grovers, it does not help any American worker!! When I TAKE the factory Asian Rotomatics OFF my Les Paul and replace them with a set of Patent Pending Grovers from the 50s, it has nothing to do with cost ($200) or Patriotism, or an Economics Lesson.

I am NOT a Nationalist, my motivation is selfish!! I want the place where I live to maintain its way of life and standard of living! My wanting YOU to succeed, is also selfish, as it raises MY standard of living too!

Most of us do not examine our true motivations, and it usually boils down to self preservation. Nothing WRONG with that. Just try to make all relationships symboitic, and not parasitical.

My advice was trying to be HELPFUL (about not drilling all the way through, and trying a $30 set of 80s USA Grovers vs a $60-$80 set of new Asian ones)

I seldon drift into the Sunburst pub, I have owned MANY great Standards from the early 90s, some from the 80s, and many other 80s Les Pauls.

I don't say much in the Vintage section, but to ask questions and to learn. I frequent Ebay and Historic sections.

I forget that the mean age in the SB pub is probably 20 years younger than the Historic district, and in turn those who own Vintage LP either got them long ago (hence they are older people) or paid a LOT for them (also more likely older people)

So yes I DO get pissed when I say use the superior USA Grovers (if they were still made in the USA, they would probably be either much more expensive or not as good as the current Asian made ones) over the new ones, and it gets reduced to Harley vs Honda or you still have a grudge against WWII Japan!!! How silly and what a knee jerk reaction!!

Mob mentality, use a few catch phrases and accuse someone of racism, and there is no way to defend yourself. Cheap, immature and sadly effective!
I wouldn't get too excited, Kink...'cuz aside from my laughing at you, no one really gives a shit. ;-)

hutman777

k... iam gonna try sumthang on Thrs. cause this forum is about TONE n LES PAULS ... iam takin the biggest turkey-leg outta my fat sister inlaws mouth an runnin to the basement an gonna cut me a new nut fot the Jr. .. tone report on Sat. unless they lock me up , ha holidays i look so forward 2 em

Garampingat

ok, i just finished installing grovers on my '04 LP Standard and i can definitely hear a difference. i even used the same set of strings. the difference is very noticeable to me even at high gain. and i like it better. the difference is on the midrange. on the bridge pup gone is the mid spike that makes even the warmest pup sound bright and the neck pup doesn't sound wooly anymore. i think the grovers changed the resonant freq of the guitar.
but, i think results on changing to grovers depends on the guitar. my LP Standard's neck vibrates like crazy and is very loud acoustically and plugged in, its very bright on the bridge pup and the neck pup is a bit wooly. the grovers dampens the neck changing its resonant freq thus changing the tone. so the result depends on how resonant and the resonant freq of your guitar. that's all IMO, BTW.

Shantrick

I dunno, when I think of Jimmy Page the word "Tone" doesn't automatically pop into me' gulliver.
Everything affects the basic tone of a guitar. Extra weight in the headstock would make a change.
How big or how small is subjective.

rgrace

I recently installed Grovers in my LP and I love them. I don't know if there is much of a sound difference though. When I went to a Joe Bonamassa clinic he said that he thought the Grovers on his LP made it sound a hair thicker. Who knows...

Grovers are easy to install but you have to ream out the holes slightly to get them to fit. I paid $30 to have them installed. There are a couple types; 14 to 1 ratio and 18 to 1. You can check their website for more details.

http://www.grotro.com/MainCataLOG.html

Cool, that's exactly what I'm thinking about doing as well (I almost posted the exact same question). So far the Klusons seem fine but I'm a big fan of Grover. Maybe even a set of locking tuners, if re-drilling isn't necessary - otherwise 18:1 Grovers will be great

sshan2525

I dunno, when I think of Jimmy Page the word "Tone" doesn't automatically pop into me' gulliver.
Everything affects the basic tone of a guitar. Extra weight in the headstock would make a change.
How big or how small is subjective.

Everyone loves a necrothread!

mistersnappy

Everyone loves a necrothread!

+1. Actually, I took the old Grovers *off* my Conversion and put Kluson-style back on. Glad I did because the feel is different, although I'm at a loss to describe it. Can't tell about a tone difference, however.