• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Let's hear it for the Les Paul Studio!

D'Mule

What-the-heck, super job. I agree, not worth it from a money/time point of view, but if you enjoyed the journey that's what counts.

I just spent 4 hrs modding a $99 Crate V5. Sounds fantastic, but its still a $99 Crate V5 (or maybe worth less for all I know).

Last edited:

Armitage

My Studio with a T498;

Armitage_Les_Paul_Studio_Premum_Plu.jpg

Sounds better then my Standard with Burstbucker Pros.

Musicman

Just took another pic of my new 50's Tribute Studio and thought I'd share. Wish I had better photography skills like some of you though.:dang

232323232%7Ffp5436%3A%3Enu%3D3263%3E%3A42%3E957%3EWSNRCG%3D3855%3A%3B39%3C432%3Cnu0mrj

Big Al

Here's mine. Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany:
lespaulvintagemahoganyfullfront-1.jpg

lespaulvintagemahoganybacksmall-1.jpg

lespaulvintagemahoganyheadstock-1.jpg

(I had this plain truss rod cover on for a while, now I've gone back to the 'studio' cover)
:2zone

I have one of these and I absolutely love it to pieces. Very nearly my favorite Les Paul, and without a doubt the cheapest. I may get another I like it so much. I also have one of those Studio Lite Premium plus Flame Top Edition from the early 90's with a three piece Eastern Maple ribbon top in Amber Trans finish. Sweet but the ultra thin neck bugs me. It isn't chambered but has inlayed Balsa wood inserts to knock the weight down.

All in all I like the Studio Range a lot. Even though I own some high ticket Les Pauls, these Studios are great guitars with a very cool aesthetic. I find them to be a fantastic value and a worthy platform to customize into the guitar of your dreams. I really can't say enough about them, they are favorites of mine and everyone should have at least one.

Last edited:

djangolad

Why does the edge of the maple top get referred to as "fake binding". It's not "fake" anything is it?
I may be a bit odd but for some reason it bugs me:hmm
The paint job looks cool however!

Triburst

I can attest that Les Paul Studios are great guitars. One of the best "set up from the factory" Les Pauls I've ever played was a cherry Studio, with the matte finish like the one above. I still kick myself for not buying it the day I played it.

G

Guvnor64

After I got the Traditional Gold Top, I decided to get a Studio 50s Tribute. I added chrome covers to the pickups and installed a toneshaper control circuit that allows me to split the pickups with pushpull tone pots.

DSC_0001.jpg

mistersnappy

I don't know anything about them, but, a friend had one waaay back in about '89 and I still remember how well it played.

frenchphil

hi! i had a 1996 studio, black with gold hardware, sounded great, i kept it for 13 years

i had a levelling of the fret done and it played even better!

i sold it a

frenchphil

oops!

i sold it and got myself an r8,

and i have never looked back since...............

c'est la vie..........

Pvee

Picked this one up yesterday.

LP2012b.jpg

I play light jazz, old standards and some Chet Atkins style.
I was surprised at the great sound of the neck Pickup in single coil mode.

karl1

I love em! But even though some of mine sound so good, even better than some of my Standards or Customs, there is no substitute for stage presence...I am sorry...over and over again I tried but the others always get the looks and too bad but looks are where it is at...now please excuse me now as I must be on my way...to go play my 94 Alpine Studio...:bigal

rafaeldavidson

hey guys!
i just recently bought the les paul studio goldtop with the humbuckers and satin finish. i gotta say its AMAZING!
but im going to mod it a bit:
bridge pick up will be changed to a chrome gibson burstbucker 3 (on its way)
all the cream colored plastic parts will be black (knobs, pickguard,...)

and now we get to the point where i need your help:
im thinking about adding a so called "faux binding".
those who did it love it! having no binding is actually really bugging me and thats why im considering doing this.
but should i sand or scrape it? and how or with what do i coat the exposed wood?

would be glad if anyone could help and thx in advance!

rafaeldavidson

Here's a 2007 Les Paul Studio:
flameystudio1a.jpg

It weighs in at 7lbs 6oz and has a very sweet sound. I broke my long-standing rule about buying without trying and bought it used off eBay. When it arrived the clear coat was pretty badly flogged and damaged by sweat. There were actually fabric prints in the finish. I was able to buff out all of that and the guitar looks and plays marvelously.

Bob

wow its beatyful! i broke the rule once as well, and thats how i got my lp studio goldtop! play it well buddy :)
and again, what a beauty!!!

Gas4LPs

I've got a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute. It is great playing P-90s guitar and it weights only 7.5 pounds.

DSC01381.jpg

Big Al

I have two 90's Studios and I love them, one has an ebony board and the other has rosewood. The 490R / 498T pickup combination is as good as anything Gibson fit to Standards.
I don't like the snobbery surrounding these quality workhorse axes; if you believe everything you read, the Studio is lighter and thinner than a standard, has dot position markers and lower quality hardware and pickups.... Well mine have none of these features, they are Standards without binding, end of chat!

Not snobbery, fact. I love LP Studios and own a few. Specs changed a lot with bound, unbound, dots, small crown/large crown inlays, alder or mahogany bodies and tops and ALL of the post 90's have thinner maple or mahogany tops. There have been balsa inset bodies and chambered bodies.

They are what they are, a very cool entry level Les Paul with a great asthetic. Standards without binding is as inaccurate as the examples you cite. Viva la difference!