The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48
  1. #1
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    I've been wanting this for a long time.
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...22joan+jett%22

    Guitar Of The Week #45...
    http://www.musicgadgets.net/2007/10/...ouble-cutaway/

    It shows up as "coming soon" on the FQMS site, so no price. I can't imagine it being much more than say... $699 or so.

    IMO, the black pickguard/one pickup configuration is ideal.

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member DanD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,633

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Odd thing with Gibson and the JJ MM. A couple of nights ago the link was up on Gibson's site and also some JJ info. Last night they pulled the link but still had the JJ MM listed as a week 45 guitar. Tonight Gibson dropped week 45 from the list altogether. The list goes from 44 to 46 now...

    Anyone know what the issue could be?
    "In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member J T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,651

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    It's naked. I guess you have to put on the stickers yourself

  4. #4
    Martin2
    Guest

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    I think maybe she likes girls.......(which is OK , so do I.)

  5. #5
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Here is a pic of Joans Melody Maker in the hands of its previous owner. Anyone here wanna guess who he is?
    If there's one thing I've learned from cartoons, it's that ducks are assholes.

  6. #6

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Here is a pic of Joans Melody Maker in the hands of its previous owner. Anyone here wanna guess who he is?
    That guitar has two humbuckers.
    Its got four knobs, and a switch in the front & jack.
    Joans has two knobs, one switch and one jack.

    I don't think its the same guitar.
    (Plus his guitar does not have any stickers )

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,943

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    I'd guess that's Eric Carmen and that's what her guitar looked like when he owned it and how she played it for a while, at least.

    She's either had more work done on it or she has more than one.

  8. #8
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    That guitar has two humbuckers.
    Its got four knobs, and a switch in the front & jack.
    Joans has two knobs, one switch and one jack.

    I don't think its the same guitar.
    (Plus his guitar does not have any stickers )
    Here ya go.




    From what I've gathered, she's always used that one. I'm sure she has more than one. And I'm sure this one has been through more than one pickguard, and probably quite a few stickers.

  9. #9
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    It is Eric Carmen from the Raspberries. And Joan bought his guitar years ago. Yeah I'm sure she's had some others made up. FINE! Poop on the fun trivia.
    If there's one thing I've learned from cartoons, it's that ducks are assholes.

  10. #10

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    ok Fonzies gilfriend ....''happy-days'' wuzz Suzie Q ... were her an Joan related ? I always thought so .. i no i degress but i'll bet she knows wata guitar is so thats good enough 4 me ... oh yea she wore leather

  11. #11
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    It is Eric Carmen from the Raspberries. And Joan bought his guitar years ago. Yeah I'm sure she's had some others made up. FINE! Poop on the fun trivia.
    Hehe. I'm not really a big guitar trivia nerd. I'll leave that to the Clapton and Peter Green fanatics. Hell, I'm not really even a *huge* Joan Jett fan. I mean, I like her and all. That just happens to be one of my favorite guitars that a pro is "known for".

  12. #12
    Martin2
    Guest

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    It has a "velvet hammer" pickup. Good luck finding one of those....

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    473

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    I'm not a huge Joan Jett fan, but I gotta admit this guitar looks real cool.

    Maybe it's been pulled because Jett did'nt give her full consent or some such thing. I hope not because it'd be a fun axe to have.
    it's a long road, and a short wheel, and it takes a lot of turns to get there

  14. #14
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    I'm not either. I loved her version of Gary Glitters "Do You Wanna Touch". But "I Love R&R" is fast becoming like "Midnight Hour", "Mustang Sally" or just about anything by Van Morrison. I want an extra $50.00 per song, or a 3 tune package for a buck and a quarter.

    Eric Carmen in the Raspberries though was quite rockin!
    If there's one thing I've learned from cartoons, it's that ducks are assholes.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member bangkok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    294

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hutman777 View Post
    ok Fonzies gilfriend ....''happy-days'' wuzz Suzie Q ... were her an Joan related ? I always thought so .. i no i degress but i'll bet she knows wata guitar is so thats good enough 4 me ... oh yea she wore leather
    The Fonz's girlfriend was Pinkie Tusqadero, Suzie Quatro was Pinkie's little sister, Leather Tusqadero. Got it "Bucko"?

    Man, it's kind of sad that I know this, but "Sit on it" woa!

  16. #16
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bangkok View Post

    Man, it's kind of sad that I know this, but "Sit on it" woa!
    If there's one thing I've learned from cartoons, it's that ducks are assholes.

  17. #17

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bangkok View Post
    The Fonz's girlfriend was Pinkie Tusqadero, Suzie Quatro was Pinkie's little sister, Leather Tusqadero. Got it "Bucko"?

    Man, it's kind of sad that I know this, but "Sit on it" woa!
    I always thought it was a bit strange that Leather sang Devil Gate Drive - in the 50s.
    "Why are we going to an airforce base?"

  18. #18
    Les Paul Froum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Southern Bastrop County, TX
    Posts
    5,730

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Note:
    two knobs on top and a toggle switch in the middle down low:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ham_Fist View Post
    ...


    ...

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member Blue97FXSTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    598

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    ...But "I Love R&R" is fast becoming like "Midnight Hour", "Mustang Sally" or just about anything by Van Morrison. I want an extra $50.00 per song, or a 3 tune package for a buck and a quarter.

    Mustang Sally must be the most stepped on cover ever!


    You forgot Wonderful Tonight and Gimme 3 Steps...

    (I'll bet Gary Rossington himself hates playing that song!)



    You like Joan's version of the Do You Wanna Touch song - how about the video?





    .
    Longevity is the key to success.

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    2,880

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    "two knobs on top and a toggle switch in the middle down low:"

    OK, now what about the guitar ...!? 8P
    You could be my kind of crowd
    A little bit edgy, a little bit loud

  21. #21
    All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NH/MA Bordertown USA
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shaw View Post
    "two knobs on top and a toggle switch in the middle down low:"

    OK, now what about the guitar ...!? 8P

    If there's one thing I've learned from cartoons, it's that ducks are assholes.

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member badform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    B'more, MD
    Posts
    373

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Here are some pics I took of her and her MM last October...






  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member badform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    B'more, MD
    Posts
    373

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    One more...


  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member bangkok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sunny SoCal
    Posts
    294

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    It's not like anyone was blindsided that she (or any of the Runaways) were dykes, but she sure grew up to be a bow wow! And now she rubs rugs with Carmen Electra! Go figure!

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,291

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin2 View Post
    It has a "velvet hammer" pickup. Good luck finding one of those....
    Those were made by Red Rhodes in Nashville. Isn't it disturbing that:
    A-I know that
    B-I'm reading this thread
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,533

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    It's well known that signature guys have inquiring minds.

  27. #27
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Wow. This thread got weird. I guess I'm going to email Gibson to see what's going on with this guitar.

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    473

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    The question remains whether this guitar will become a reality or not.
    it's a long road, and a short wheel, and it takes a lot of turns to get there

  29. #29
    Martin2
    Guest

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Those were made by Red Rhodes in Nashville. Isn't it disturbing that:
    A-I know that
    B-I'm reading this thread

    I'm surprised this thread hasn't Devolved into a train-wreck....

  30. #30
    Les Paul Forum Member frank thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up shits crik
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    what year is hers?
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member Experience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    T E X A S
    Posts
    71

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    dykes ... rubs rugs
    Smooth.

    Wasn't this thread about the guitar?
    Band - Soul Shaker
    James St. Louis
    http://facebook.com/SoulShaker.Texas
    it's all about tone...

  32. #32
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Due to the overwhelming interest in who Joan Jett is bumpin' uglies with, I finally emailed Gibson to see if this guitar was still being released. I almost typed "to see if this guitar is still coming out", but I didn't want to fuel the gay joke fire.

    Yeah, I really live it up on the weekends. Hangin' out, emailing Gibson and all. Party.

  33. #33

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    my turn to jump in..
    in 1994, as i was late headin' into work one day, i figured : why not? i'll stop into my small, local music store and... BAM! i saw a nice 'old' MM hanging on the wall. i dug it's vibe, it's dbl cutaway shape so i ended up buying it on the spot!
    details: 1965 double pickup that's been modded as follows:
    2 humbuckers [unknown make, but they are GREAT sounding!]
    2 vol, 2 tone knobs [vintage 'reflector type'] + 3 way selector toggle
    nashville TOM + stop tailpiece.
    grover pegs.
    p.s. when i bought my BRAND NEW 1987 335 dot reissue, the hardware corroded within 2-3 weeks ,but the tuners, bridge/tail, and pickups on this MM are as shiny as though they're new. go figure...
    THE NECK IS HUGE, meaty, great for bending them strings, but oh-so-comfy!
    the whole guit resonates wonderfully, is light as a feather and though i have a bunch of 'collectable' and expensive guits, this MM has become my 'go to' gig guitar.it's ALWAYS come through soundwise, holds it's tuning, and LOOKS COOL to boot.
    i'd buy another one like it if i could.
    a comparably equipped 65 SG std would cost a FORTUNE....

  34. #34
    Martin2
    Guest

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by texas legs lee View Post
    my turn to jump in..
    in 1994, as i was late headin' into work one day, i figured : why not? i'll stop into my small, local music store and... BAM! i saw a nice 'old' MM hanging on the wall. i dug it's vibe, it's dbl cutaway shape so i ended up buying it on the spot!
    details: 1965 double pickup that's been modded as follows:
    2 humbuckers [unknown make, but they are GREAT sounding!]
    2 vol, 2 tone knobs [vintage 'reflector type'] + 3 way selector toggle
    nashville TOM + stop tailpiece.
    grover pegs.
    p.s. when i bought my BRAND NEW 1987 335 dot reissue, the hardware corroded within 2-3 weeks ,but the tuners, bridge/tail, and pickups on this MM are as shiny as though they're new. go figure...
    THE NECK IS HUGE, meaty, great for bending them strings, but oh-so-comfy!
    the whole guit resonates wonderfully, is light as a feather and though i have a bunch of 'collectable' and expensive guits, this MM has become my 'go to' gig guitar.it's ALWAYS come through soundwise, holds it's tuning, and LOOKS COOL to boot.
    i'd buy another one like it if i could.
    a comparably equipped 65 SG std would cost a FORTUNE....

    Yea but does it have stickers?

  35. #35

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin2 View Post
    Yea but does it have stickers?
    no stickers, not into this whole JJ issue, my point is that at that time, i didn't own any SG's or any 1959 dbl cut JRs or SPECIALS, so when i say that beautiful CHERRY mahogany MM hanging in that local shop, it filled a 'niche' that i was jonesing for at the time VISUALLY, and only AFTER the purchase, did i actually learn how great it was to PLAY on!
    the ONLY downside to it is that it is 'neck heavy' and not balanced when i let go of the neck. it truly is a great PLAYER guitar.
    whoever did all the mods prior to my buying it, deserves a HUGE THANK YOU. they did a GREAT JOB, and made a 'budget model' into a truly great performing guitar! [of course, it did affect it's 'collectability' though...]
    best part is, that i paid either $195 [could've been $295, don't really remember which] for it! i'm holding it in my avatar pic.

  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member frank thomson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up shits crik
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson View Post
    what year is hers?

    uh...what he said ^^^^^

    ?????????
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    473

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    OK, is this guitar going to be made or not?

    Still not listed on the Gibson GOW page.
    it's a long road, and a short wheel, and it takes a lot of turns to get there

  38. #38
    Martin2
    Guest

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by texas legs lee View Post
    no stickers, not into this whole JJ issue, my point is that at that time, i didn't own any SG's or any 1959 dbl cut JRs or SPECIALS, so when i say that beautiful CHERRY mahogany MM hanging in that local shop, it filled a 'niche' that i was jonesing for at the time VISUALLY, and only AFTER the purchase, did i actually learn how great it was to PLAY on!
    the ONLY downside to it is that it is 'neck heavy' and not balanced when i let go of the neck. it truly is a great PLAYER guitar.
    whoever did all the mods prior to my buying it, deserves a HUGE THANK YOU. they did a GREAT JOB, and made a 'budget model' into a truly great performing guitar! [of course, it did affect it's 'collectability' though...]
    best part is, that i paid either $195 [could've been $295, don't really remember which] for it! i'm holding it in my avatar pic.
    Just goes to show that the most expensive guitars are not always the best ones.

  39. #39
    All Access/Backstage Pass Ham_Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Email response from Gibson:
    "No information on this model at this time. Monitor www.gibson.com for updates."

    Who knows.

  40. #40

    Re: Joan Jett Melody Maker!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin2 View Post
    Just goes to show that the most expensive guitars are not always the best ones.
    indeed...
    the 'best' guitars, are the ones you feel a 'connection' with. if holding the guitar makes you look cool and makes you feel cool and 'inspired', and ..of course, if the guitar SOUNDS cool, then THAT is the 'best' guitar.
    i won't bore anyone with listing my 'collection', but my trusty old MM always 'comes through' for me..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!