• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Specifications of 1996 R9?

godfatherofpolka

I've been offered a Custom Shop Les Paul. Serial number is 9 6235, so it seems to be a '59 reuissue built in 1996. I haven't been able to find any specification about Les Paul Reissues built in 1996.
Does anybody know something (pickups, wood, differences to todays V.O.S., etc.)?

The price would be 6700.- swiss francs (which is about 5500 $), a new V.O.S. would cost about 7400 $ in Switzerland. What do you think about the price? (The guitar has a really beautiful flame maple top and in Switzerland Custom Shop Les Pauls are quite rare). I was also told, that the neck of this guitar was changed to be like the one of the Jimmy Page signature model.

Another option is to buy a new 1958 V.O.S. Les Paul (this would cost even less than the above Les Paul). What would you think about this?

Thanks for all the answers.

sidekick

'96 historics have the earlier 57 classic pickups and burstbucker pickups came in circa late '02/03. Various cosmetic changes happened post '03 to make the model more 'historically accurate'. Some say the tops on those earlier guitars are better.

The neck shape change will detract from the originality. Might have appealed to a Page fan when it was done, but unlikely now the Page model is available.

IMO, unless the guitar strikes you as particularly outstanding, the VOS model would be the more sensible option. Also, I would think you can certainly do much better on price by buying from the USA direct. Either through the decent LPF dealers here or maybe eBay.

Finally, :welcome

godfatherofpolka

Thank you very much for your answer.

I've thought a little while about it now and I don't think I'm going to buy it. Although it has a great flame top, the changes on the neck don't suit me. (I'm sort of picky in these things, I prefer unmodified guitars). Furthermore the price seems rather high (even for Swiss standards), as it doesn't seem to be some sought-after model.

How much is the street price of a new R8 V.O.S.? (And do you happen to know anything about shipping and tax costs?). In Switzerland a new R8 V.O.S. is 5320 francs (which is about 4300$). I'm just asking this because I'm wondering if there would be significant saves when ordering in the U.S.

sidekick

There probably would be significant advantages in buying direct from the USA. From what I have seen, the prices are much lower, (ball park - $2,200/2800 for R8's(?) - depending on condition, sometimes less). Bear in mid that you will have the shipping/insurance costs, (circa $2/300 depending on carrier) to ship over. Also, whatever import taxes/duty the Swiss authorities charge.....:dang On the basis that you find a guitar you really like, it is worth the effort IMO. It certainly would be worth contacting a forum dealer to check this out.... Most will ship across the Atlantic. Even worth a phone call, (about 9 hours behind Swiss-time) as they will describe a guitar 'in hand' and can be trusted.... The last thing they want is a disappointed LPF member....

Plankspanker

I'd devalue it by 50% for the damage done to the neck. If you're going to be paying top retail prices for an R9 in Europe you might as well get one that hasn't been tampered with.