The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Hey Guys Thanks for all the replies. She got here yesterday. Sophia, which I'm now gonna call this guitar, is super light. I did notice that the route through the control cavity seems a bit bigger than my historic-could be just me. Also, I believe there are chambers as there is some loose dried glue or something that is rattling around in the body. I can't get rid of the slight rattle which leads me to believe it's locked in one of the chambers. It is however a one piece body. It's a very cool guitar, fairly resonant and sounded quite standard for a les paul when plugged in. Nice shifts when the tone controls were rolled back and very balanced bit in the open bridge position. It's obviously not as sweet as my R9 but I think with some tweaks it will get pretty close. I completely took it apart-removed all electronics and hardware. The top is gorgeous but the person who did this one kinda screwed up with the burst transition and overall tear shape. Long of the short it's gonna go to RS guitarworks Tuesday for a top refin in light/washed teaburst or lemonburst. I'll resurect this thread when Sophia comes back. I'm also gonna add the RS upgrade kit and lightweight tailpiece. This is gonna be my main gig/rehearsal guitar so I don't have to break out the historics in dodgy settings.

  2. #42
    Les Paul Forum Member Wattage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Rocky Point, NY
    Posts
    482

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    I vote Lemonburst fwiw, I have thought about re-doing mine in lemon when it'll have some down time.

  3. #43

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    7.5 lbs here, for my faded.

  4. #44
    Les Paul Forum Member Leña_Costoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Piney Oaks, Florida
    Posts
    2,230

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by lew81 View Post
    Is it me or do the tops on faded's look much better than on a regular Standard? I don't like the satin finish though. Is it possible to apply a finish of laquer direct to the satin finish or does it need a complete re-spray?
    Mine (up top of thread someplace) is an overspray. The "problem" is that you dont have the wood prep under the factory spray... so you have to apply a bit more lacquer to fill the grain above the old finish. Its workable, its doable... just takes a bit more time... maybe three more coats of lacquer. Time factor is to allow a real good shrink before "leveling" and to get some build up there, so when you do level it, it doesn't cut into the existing finish.
    Last edited by Leña_Costoso; 02-19-07 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong thread for my resprayed lester... but is here on the forum in a few places....

  5. #45

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil47uk View Post
    She certainly has, and what a fine pair they are too...


    I'd like to adjust her pole pieces

    Hope the refin works out!


  6. #46
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    70

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    I'd like to adjust her pole pieces

    Hope the refin works out!


    I was hoping she would adjust my pole piece!

    btw, I think its a mistake to refinish the top on your king of all fadeds, because it won't be a real faded anymore so the crown you'll forfeit, but also it looks sweet the way it is.

  7. #47

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lution View Post
    btw, I think its a mistake to refinish the top on your king of all fadeds, because it won't be a real faded anymore so the crown you'll forfeit, but also it looks sweet the way it is.
    You know it is what it is. If you could see the finish in person you wouldn't think it looks sweet. They screwed up the tear shape. How could they have an idiot working on a top like this one? I might forfeit the crown but she'll still be Sophia

  8. #48
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    70

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBuckwild View Post
    You know it is what it is. If you could see the finish in person you wouldn't think it looks sweet. They screwed up the tear shape. How could they have an idiot working on a top like this one? I might forfeit the crown but she'll still be Sophia
    I'm sure it will look killer when its done. You've got a great starting place.

  9. #49
    Les Paul Forum Member schlacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    93

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangliqun View Post
    If it was me, I'd leave the color the same and just try to get a shiny clear coat on it. That is some gorgeous ribbon flame. How much did you say you wanted for it again?
    I still don't get it. I bought my faded BECAUSE it was faded. It's an awesome contrast to my SHINY LP's. If I wanted another shiny Gibby I would have bought another shiny Gibby!

    OK, I've put on my asbestos jump suit.....
    schlacker

  10. #50

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by schlacker View Post
    I still don't get it. I bought my faded BECAUSE it was faded. It's an awesome contrast to my SHINY LP's. If I wanted another shiny Gibby I would have bought another shiny Gibby!

    OK, I've put on my asbestos jump suit.....
    I bought it because it has an amazing flame top and was only 7.1 lbs. not because of the faded finish. I bought it looking at it how Lution said, a great starting place. I'm a perfectionist, so sue me.

  11. #51
    Les Paul Forum Member schlacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    93

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBuckwild View Post
    I bought it because it has an amazing flame top and was only 7.1 lbs. not because of the faded finish. I bought it looking at it how Lution said, a great starting place. I'm a perfectionist, so sue me.
    There's 1.....
    schlacker

  12. #52

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Well she's off to RS.

    However, for anybody interested I did call Gibson about the chambered/weight relieved body issue. They said that the Standard Fadeds are not being weight relieved. I'm wondering if the rattling on my faded is from loose solder where the ground wire is attached. Can anybody tell me where it is attached?, tail bridge studs?

  13. #53
    Les Paul Forum Member Schneidas15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    222

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBuckwild View Post
    They said that the Standard Fadeds are not being weight relieved.
    ???? I was under the impression that all Standard production LP's are weight relieved

  14. #54

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schneidas15 View Post
    ???? I was under the impression that all Standard production LP's are weight relieved
    Well maybe they are weight relieved compared to the historics? Could you explain this a bit more as I am interested to know.

  15. #55
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    70

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    I've been told that the Standard Fadeds have 9 weight relieving holes in the mahogany body. There are even X-rays posted on this Forum somewhere.

    I also hear some little wood fragments bouncing around in those holes. No big deal.

  16. #56
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    70

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Found Them!!
    LP Standard X-rays:

    see the holes?



  17. #57

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    wowzers.

  18. #58

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBuckwild View Post
    I like that faded tobacco color on yours. The auction labeled mine as faded tobacco but I'm pretty sure it's faded honeyburst.
    You are correct about it being a Honey Burst -- check out the Gibson inspection sheet on the seller's slide no. 7; LP5FHB -- the HB indicates Honey Burst. Its a beauty nonetheless -- enjoy it!

  19. #59
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: King of the Standard Faded Les Pauls?

    Oooohhh, very cool pic! May i ask how that was taken? Someone here work at the airport?

    I wonder how much those holes can reduce weight, though. Maybe 4-6oz.??

    Edward

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!