• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Peter Green mod once again.

NHMorgan

All Access/Backstage Pass
Once the magnet's out, hold it in your hand, even mark it if you want. Flip it "around" not "over". In other words, the same side that was "up" and "down" should still be "up" and "down", but the treble side of the magnet and the bass side of the magnet should now be reversed.

I think this is wrong. You do need to flip it, not rotate it. The side of the magnet that was facing the back of the guitar should now be facing the strings.

tele00

I think this is wrong. You do need to flip it, not rotate it. The side of the magnet that was facing the back of the guitar should now be facing the strings.

Yup ......I always flip it like a pancake ...( roll it not spin it ) so that the bottom becomes the top and the ends remain where they were ...and it works perfectly.....

Don

It's not wrong. You just need to do one or the other, not both. The idea is to put the long edge of the magnet that was on the screw side to the slug side. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you don't get confused.
I flipped mine on it's long axis like you (then flipped it back when I didn't like it!). I think there's less chance of confusion that way.

tele00

It's not wrong. You just need to do one or the other, not both. The idea is to put the long edge of the magnet that was on the screw side to the slug side. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you don't get confused.
I flipped mine on it's long axis like you (then flipped it back when I didn't like it!). I think there's less chance of confusion that way.

Yeah Don ...I guess either way yields the same result....

Sterling1

There's guy named Deaf Eddie that has a very interesting web site devoted to guitar mods. He has diagrams and easy to follow explanations. I don't have him bookmarked on this pc, but you could google him. I'ts worth reading. Good Luck!

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
The point is no matter if you spin it or twist it or flip it. the polarity is the opposing short sides and not the length of the magnet. It is not the bass end vs the treble end, it is the neck side vs the bridge side, regardless of how the pickup is mounted in the guitar.

codeorama

Okay, thanks guys for explaining! You're very helpful!

The explanations were all correct. I just wanted to add, I have WCR pick ups with the neck magnet reversed, pick up flipped and I love the out of phase sound. Its well worth it. It adds a completely different sound to your LP.

Axel

The explanations were all correct. I just wanted to add, I have WCR pick ups with the neck magnet reversed, pick up flipped and I love the out of phase sound. Its well worth it. It adds a completely different sound to your LP.

Yeah, my thought too... and I never use the middle position like it is now.

Jeffrec

2. Open the control cavity and solder the lead for the pickup on the opposite polarity of the pot. (much simpler and easily reversible).

Remember, only works when both pickups are selected :jim

Hope this helps.

This is definitely the easier way. You'll be able to see if you like the sound, or not real quick. Personally, I find the out-of-phase thing gets boring after a while.

codeorama

Yeah, my thought too... and I never use the middle position like it is now.

I didn't either. That's why I tried it, nothing to lose.
Glad I did. I play in a coverband and it really adds a cool dimension to solos in comparison to the sounds you are used to hearing from a Les Paul...:dude:

Mac Daddy 355

Pete's LP

PeterGreenLP.jpg

thin sissy

Ok, a little scary to do perhaps :)

If you do it, let us know how you like it!

abalonevintage

Peter Green mod once again.

Thought I would put a nice Hi-Rez photo of the Peter Green Les Paul in this thread for reference. :salude

Peter Green Les Paul
guitar_gibson_1959_les_paul_standard_peter_green_gary_moore_owned_b_small.jpg

Peter Green Les Paul

Emerald

Dr. Vintage has an excellent option to obtain the PG Greeny between pickups tone:
http://www.doctorvintage.com/drv1_pickups.html
For those who like to experiment with the Out Of Phase sound option, I recommend that you take advantage of the option of a multi-conductor lead on one pickup. I don't recommend the popular 'magnet flip'. The orientation of the magnets is crucial to the sound of each pickup. Flipping the magnet will alter the tone of the pickup by itself. Having a multi-conductor lead allows you to accomplish Out Of Phase tones with a simple wire connection change at the volume pot, leaving the individual pickup in its original configuration to give you its best tone when used by itself. It also allows you to return the middle-position wiring to normal without having to remove the pickup from the guitar again to reorient the magnet. This option is available at no extra charge.
Rick knows his stuff and this allows the pickup/neck to remain stock...
PeterGreenBurstatArlington011.jpg

PeterGreenBursandTW59slesters043.jpg

Emerald

Last edited:

bigtomrodney

I don't recommend the popular 'magnet flip'. The orientation of the magnets is crucial to the sound of each pickup. Flipping the magnet will alter the tone of the pickup by itself.
Now that's something I'd like to see some evidence for. I've flipped magnets in Burstbuckers, 490R/498Ts, BKP Mules and 57 Classics and I've never seen or heard a change to the individual pickups.

Ad_02Std

Yeah, I performed the magnet flip on my Standard's old SD '59 neck pickup about three years ago, and only flipped it back to regular a few months back. I know my guitar and these pickups very well and didn't notice any change in the individual tone of that pickup.

Hamerfan

What the hell .... it now has chrome Schaller tuners. Thats a major drawback...