• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What's the deal with a 2 piece back Standard

Mats A

I can't see how it can alter the tone at all. Almost since 1969 Gibson have parted from the original formula in some way. First it was the three piece neck, the Pancake body, the Maple neck and the weight relief. If a Pancake body or two piece body Les Paul sounds good maybe it's just that that makes it sound great. What would you choose a good sounding but not made like the originals or one that was made the original way but was a dog?

Big Al

I can't see how it can alter the tone at all. Almost since 1969 Gibson have parted from the original formula in some way. First it was the three piece neck, the Pancake body, the Maple neck and the weight relief. If a Pancake body or two piece body Les Paul sounds good maybe it's just that that makes it sound great. What would you choose a good sounding but not made like the originals or one that was made the original way but was a dog?

The Custom Shop models supply 50's spec instruments. If you feel it's important, go there.
USA guitars are modern interpretations and do not have static specs and are an evolving platform.

thunderkyss

The Custom Shop models supply 50's spec instruments. If you feel it's important, go there.
USA guitars are modern interpretations and do not have static specs and are an evolving platform.

& that's fine, if that's what Gibson wants to do. I don't like it & would hate to buy a Standard at Standard price with a two piece body.

Most likely I'm wrong but I felt the price difference between my Classic & a Standard at the time that I bought it was the fact my Classic had a two piece body & the Standard had a one piece body, like my '98 Standard.

Now, I can't see where the difference in price comes from.

Actually, I just looked. Prices aren't that different. Better tops & hardware can make up the difference. But when I bought my Classic, it was $700 different.