• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What Guitar Strap Do You Use?

Pellman73

Thanks! But technically, Duane only used his '69 flat ring strap with his goldtop... he used his mountain strap with his bursts. The mountain is cool, but I prefer the big ring. This one ain't a Zebo, but Hawk got Zebo's blessing before making them... and that's good enough for me!! :salude

yes I got that wrong about the ring strap. I guess I was thinking of a black and white w Duane with a guitar with that strap but that must have been the gold top.

I actually got referred a few days ago by Hawk (when asking about making me a mountain strap) to Kim Hoover who made the straps w Zebo. I had THE coolest conversation with him on the phone for like an hour and a half the other day.

Turns out Duane used a 46.5 inch strap hole to hole (I learned). and berry oakley used the big ring strap at the fillmore (I didn't know but this is probably common knowledge)

anyhow he's making me one ring and one mountain strap... I'll shoot some pics when they come!

Shocktop99

I use this doctor song guitar strap, used by the former football player Matt Lights father Bill Light (sorry for getting you hyped lol) but it's a confy strap and I use it all the time! I had to sand down where the strap lock goes due to how thick the hole was so I went to town on getting it smaller and got it to fit.
20170223_221617_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Orange Fender

I am surprised no one has mentioned Franklin Straps - very high-quality leather, soft and great for handling and distributing the weight. I find 'em in the local GC - great looking, too...
Franklin Original Glove Leather 3" black

jrgtr42

Yay for the return of a 10-year dormant thread!!!
However, it's not a bad thing - if anyone has changed up straps and let the newer folks chime in.
I haven't changed anything - still the Levy's PM25 on my LP, SG and Strat. my only complaint about it is that the buckle has dinged the finish on the LP over the years - not so much on the SG or Strat.
I have mostly Levy's straight straps on my other guitars - 2.5 or 3" ones, plus a Franklin on one. I have a couple with the Dimarzio nylon click-lock that I want to get rid of, but need to A) get around to it and B) find something good to replace them.

sonar

My top favorite is a tooled leather with concho style strap that an ebay seller makes. He doesn't always have active auctions, but he'll do custom work at an affordable price if you contact him. eBay ID: downtoearthleatherwerks

The Souldier Saddle Straps are another favorite, although they don't work with my wireless.

Also like Couch guitar straps, but not crazy about the metal parts dinging up my guitars. That said, Couch can make Vegan cool.

I purchased a Right On Strap after reading great reviews, but I was a little disappointed with the quality.

I like a strap that is a couple inches longer than (what I guess) is considered normal, so Levy and trusty old Fender straps are usually out.

BaggyPants

I recently bought one of the brown Gibson Classic Straps. Very nice, 3" wide, long enough for my lanky frame. Paid £42 for it, but it's nice quality, well stitched, with the Gibson logo printed in gold.

BaggyPants

I like a strap that is a couple inches longer than (what I guess) is considered normal, so Levy and trusty old Fender straps are usually out.

I have a Levys Leather MS217-XL-RST for my Epiphone. I found it on offer on Amazon UK for the princely sum of £8.16. It now retails for £41.35 from the same seller. It's about 56 inches at its shortest!

Gary J

I actually like the cheap fake leather strap that came with my '17 Tribute. I use a lightly padded Franklin strap with my '16 Tribute. VERY comfortable.

williu

I actually like the cheap fake leather strap that came with my '17 Tribute.

If it's the same black strap with golden logo that came with my 2017 Classic, it's real leather. I too originally thought it was fake, but after further inspection – because I thought it was so comfortable – I realised it's real. Gibson themselves call it "premium leather"... that can be discussed, but it's a really nice strap for sure! :)

Billy Porter

I currently use a Levis brushed black leather strap for my 73 LP Custom for comfort. The photo is my first guitar strap bought new about 72 or 73. The leather ends is a bit iffy to risk using on my Les Paul which is a shame as it’s so 70s. You often see old clips of Marc Bolan and Noddy Holder (Slade) using them

Last edited:

Gary J

If it's the same black strap with golden logo that came with my 2017 Classic, it's real leather. I too originally thought it was fake, but after further inspection – because I thought it was so comfortable – I realised it's real. Gibson themselves call it "premium leather"... that can be discussed, but it's a really nice strap for sure! :)

That's goo to know! I just assumed it wasn't 'cause it was free...

louied

Thanks! But technically, Duane only used his '69 flat ring strap with his goldtop... he used his mountain strap with his bursts. The mountain is cool, but I prefer the big ring. This one ain't a Zebo, but Hawk got Zebo's blessing before making them... and that's good enough for me!! :salude

I know Kim Hoover personally and "Hawk Leather" has been a thorn in his side telling people that Zebo gave him persimmon to replicate the ring strap. I just had a strap made by Kim and it's totally badass. Don't get fooled out there gents.

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

duaneflowers

I know Kim Hoover personally and "Hawk Leather" has been a thorn in his side telling people that Zebo gave him persimmon to replicate the ring strap. I just had a strap made by Kim and it's totally badass. Don't get fooled out there gents.

imagejpeg

imagejpeg
Kim had/has absolutely no relationship whatsoever with the "Big Ring" Strap, which was custom-made for Duane in 1969 by Ted "Zebo" Starker long before Kim was ever on the scene. From a legal perspective, there are no copyrights involved and no trademarks being infringed upon if you buy one elsewhere and/or make one yourself. Zebo had quite a few requests for reissues of it and produced them on demand until his death in 2015. Those made by Zebo now fetch upwards of $1000 and again, Kim has/had absolutely no relationship to them at any time and has absolutely no say in who makes them.

Later straps, such as the "Mountain Strap", which Duane used with his Cherry Burst and Hot 'Lanta, were first sketched by Kim and later crafted by Zebo (who was a brilliant leather worker). The two of them did not work together on them. Reissues were also made of these, each one being different to make them individually unique. I don't know anyone advertising copies of these for sale but Kim may have legal rights if he cares to copyright the design and if he can prove its his. This may be difficult though because, according to "The Allman Brothers Band Classic Memorabilia, 1969-1976" (by Willie Perkins, Jack Weston and Galadrielle Allman) in an interview with Galadrielle, the mountain strap was made by Phil Thomas at Jim Cole's leather shop in Atlanta as a gift from Dixie Meadows to Duane Allman and Kim had nothing to do with it.

So I wholeheartedly agree... "Don't get fooled out there gents".

PS - your links don't work...