• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bernie Marsden's LP for sale

huw

Isn't that the one that's sometimes rumoured to "possibly" be the Beano-burst?
Oh yeah - they mention that, ever-so-briefly. Guess they don't want to dwell on it having been 'stolen' in the past? :)

(Personally I never thought it looked much like Clapton's, which means it's not stolen, so please don't sue me, Bernie :))

wernerg

I think it was back in the early 80's, Whitesnake were playing in Frankfurt, and I met Bernie at his hotel, we walked over to a vintage guitar store in Frankfurt where he let me play "The Beast". All I remember it was really rough on the back. "The pressures of touring" Bernie said. At the time, one zebra and one double-black, if I recall correctly.

Bernie didn't tour with a brown case; he had the guitar in a flight case. The picture doesn't do the grain justice.

I bet he heard about the Greeny-Burst selling so now he has $$$ signs in his eyes. He should be selling his custom-made double-neck on which he used to play "Ain't Gonna Cry No More".

sundaypunch

huw said:
Isn't that the one that's sometimes rumoured to "possibly" be the Beano-burst?

It has been rumoured that '68 LP's were built with leftover 50's burst bodies that might have otherwise been used for a guitar which would have been owned by Clapton.

:spabout

burst me

It looks like the top is cracked between the bridge volume/tone knobs like TW's Whitey. I'm sure it's not, just what it looks like in the small pic on my laptop screen. I'd love the dealer to put up more photos on guitars like this.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Has Jim's site gone down? All I'm getting is a "that page can't be displayed" message...

Black58

burst me said:
It looks like the top is cracked between the bridge volume/tone knobs like TW's Whitey. I'm sure it's not, just what it looks like in the small pic on my laptop screen. I'd love the dealer to put up more photos on guitars like this.
+1 Yeh, I saw that too! I was goin' back and forth, tryin' to see if it was the same guitar!:rofl

60pinstripe

sundaypunch said:
It has been rumoured that '68 LP's were built with leftover 50's burst bodies that might have otherwise been used for a guitar which would have been owned by Clapton.

:spabout

Give this man a cigar!
:)

bluesjuke

Couldn't imagine clicking on "Add to cart" on a guitar such as this. LOL!

goldtop0

bluesjuke said:
Couldn't imagine clicking on "Add to cart" on a guitar such as this. LOL!

Hmmm...........maybe it's going at supermarket price:bug

Yeah right

EnglishLP

Bernie and a bunch of his pals supported my band in 1983.
Great guy. Great player and singer. :dude:

surfreak

AtomEve said:
Nice looking guitar.

I'd never buy anything from Jim.

Care to expand on that?
He's got several tasty pieces that I may be interested in, and I haven't heard - yet - horror stories about him...

EnglishLP

keef said:
Uhh - who are you, Jimmy Page...?:)

Err, no. Our band was playing a hall in my sister's home town. She worked in a pub (bar) where Bernie and his pals used to drink. They got to hear about the gig and suggested to her that they could put together a band to do a support slot. They did a great set. The other guitarist was called Sid something (can't remember his surname) who played in a disco/pop band called Liquid Gold, who UK forum members may remember had a hit with a song called 'Dance yourself dizzy'. But if I recall correctly Sid previously played in rock bands in the same circle as Bernie Another great guy and great player.