• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Special. ¿Is 1991 a good year of production?

SMAS

The guitars Les Paul Classic 1990-1992 has good fame of quality. I have a Classic Premiun, 92, and I am very happy with her. I want to buy a Sspecial to play with P90 and they offer me one of 1991 (She has P100, but I believe that I will change). She is the other side of the ocean and me I cannot prove it.
Is there also good quality in this period for these guitars? I don't know their fair value. 900 $ is good price for one of this time in almost new condition?
A greeting to all and thank you. :eek:la

jkats

Yes to both questions. I have a 1993 Les Paul Special, and with a pickup swap (I replaced the P-100s with P-90s), I am very happy with the guitar. I think that some of the best regular production Gibsons has built in recent years are from the late 1980s to the early or mid-90s, before Gibson started Custom and Historic production and used its best workers for the Custom and Historic guitars. $900 seems to be a reasonable price if the guitar is in very good to excellent condition.

roycaster

I for one do not subscribe to good and bad years, eras, or periods. After 30 years or so of guitar playing I have found that there are good and bad guitars from every year, month, and day of manufacture. Do a search of the forum, except for maybe the vintage side, lots of people have lots of complaints about all of the guitars.

D'Mule

I really like the early 90's LP Specials because they have a bound neck and pearl inlay logo. They just seem nicer than the modern LP Specials. Doesn't mean it will sound any better, just that you might enjoy it more. $900 is probably at the upper end of their value, so it should be in excellent condition, particularly since you plan to spend more money on a P90 replacement.