The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Les Paul Special. żIs 1991 a good year of production?

The guitars Les Paul Classic 1990-1992 has good fame of quality. I have a Classic Premiun, 92, and I am very happy with her. I want to buy a Sspecial to play with P90 and they offer me one of 1991 (She has P100, but I believe that I will change). She is the other side of the ocean and me I cannot prove it.
    Is there also good quality in this period for these guitars? I don't know their fair value. 900 $ is good price for one of this time in almost new condition?
    A greeting to all and thank you.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Les Paul Special. żIs 1991 a good year of production?

Yes to both questions. I have a 1993 Les Paul Special, and with a pickup swap (I replaced the P-100s with P-90s), I am very happy with the guitar. I think that some of the best regular production Gibsons has built in recent years are from the late 1980s to the early or mid-90s, before Gibson started Custom and Historic production and used its best workers for the Custom and Historic guitars. $900 seems to be a reasonable price if the guitar is in very good to excellent condition.

I for one do not subscribe to good and bad years, eras, or periods. After 30 years or so of guitar playing I have found that there are good and bad guitars from every year, month, and day of manufacture. Do a search of the forum, except for maybe the vintage side, lots of people have lots of complaints about all of the guitars.

I really like the early 90's LP Specials because they have a bound neck and pearl inlay logo. They just seem nicer than the modern LP Specials. Doesn't mean it will sound any better, just that you might enjoy it more. $900 is probably at the upper end of their value, so it should be in excellent condition, particularly since you plan to spend more money on a P90 replacement.
    '94 Gibson LP CS Standard
    '02 Gibson LP '58 CA
    '03 Gibson Firebird CS Non-Reverse
    '05 Gibson LP '54
    '06 Gibson LP '58 VOS
    '12 Squier Bullet Strat
    '14 Squier '51
    '14 Epiphone Genesis Pro
    '92 Washburn D17SCE
    '70s Val Dez Classical
    5F1A Tweed
    V Series V1512
    #698 THD Univalve
    Crate V5 (OpAmp Mod)
    Crate V33 (SLO Mod)

Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    But the forum is...still a great place to hang out if you want to chat about guitars or blindside and humiliate unsuspecting chumps with our endless supply of vitriol.