• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Johnny A vs. PRS HB II

CR9

I bet most of us on this forum are too smart (read that cheap) to buy lottery tickets. Well, OK, once in a great while I'll buy one....

Gitfiddler

Before falling in lust with my first JA, I played a PRS HB II 'Artist Grade' (killer rootbeer flametop!) for hours at a local store. Great feeling neck, as described above. Very nice tone and high quality build. I almost pulled the trigger, but the asking price was just out of range at the time.

A year later, the JA's hit the market and reviews started rolling in here at the LP Forum. I HAD to get one. Found a flamey stoptail at a forum dealer and had her shipped. Worst case, I could always sell it if it did not make the cut. The reviews in this thread are dead on. They failed to mention one other fact about JA's. They are extremely lightweight and well balanced!

Long story short, it made the cut...BIG TIME...and I ended up later scoring a Bigsby JA to keep the stoptail company. NO regrets about not buying the PRS. This is the best instrument I've ever played...period. Yes, they are expensive, but as a player it is second to none. And I've never seen a JA that wasn't drop dead gorgeous.

Good luck with your search. :)

turk

Cloud9 said:
I love #350 that Wildwood has for sale. Sure would be nice if one of you wealthy guys would buy it as a gift for me......

This baby will soon be on it's way to her new Daddy .... ME!! Man when I saw this guitar my heart started to race ... and then again when you posted this today ... fearing I might be too late. Anyway, here's a pic of it. Thanks for fueling my GAS!!

ja350.jpg

Gitfiddler

"...Man when I saw this guitar my heart started to race..."

Turk: Hyperventilation is a common side effect to viewing Johnny A. Signatures with quilt tops. :bug

Congratulations on that gorgeous JA!

kingsleyd

turk said:
This baby will soon be on it's way to her new Daddy .... ME!! Man when I saw this guitar my heart started to race ... and then again when you posted this today ... fearing I might be too late. Anyway, here's a pic of it. Thanks for fueling my GAS!!

ja350.jpg

Well, well, well... #350 is the one with the serial # that's adjacent to my #349. I came THAT close to closing the deal with Steve last Friday, then decided to sleep on it over the weekend. Guess I don't have a decision to make any more.

Enjoy it, Mike!

FiveG

Rats!!! I was trying to get the info from Wildwood on that one!!!
Now I have to keep searching.

FiveG

FiveG

Is that considered a Quilt or a flame version, out of curiousity?

FiveG

kingsleyd

FiveG

Maybe I'll just be petulant and get an ES175 instead. Humph.

FiveG

Gitfiddler

FiveG said:
Maybe I'll just be petulant and get an ES175 instead. Humph.

FiveG

Have you checked out the Johnny A. Guitar Registry? They list JA's for sale (including the now sold #350). http://www.jaguitar.org/sale.htm

Also you might check with the guys at Wildwood, Willcutt and others for non-advertised JA's that they get or will be getting in. :hmm

FiveG

Gitfiddler said:
Have you checked out the Johnny A. Guitar Registry? They list JA's for sale (including the now sold #350). http://www.jaguitar.org/sale.htm

Also you might check with the guys at Wildwood, Willcutt and others for non-advertised JA's that they get or will be getting in. :hmm

Thanks -- believe me, I have.

FiveG

bignote

I got JA #75........Fuggedaboutit! I was a big PRS fan (hence the word was). The JA is a very unique guitar. This may be the one I never sell.

gmann

bignote said:
I got JA #75........Fuggedaboutit! I was a big PRS fan (hence the word was). The JA is a very unique guitar. This may be the one I never sell.
But Dougie, you've said that before...

FiveG

Youse guyz have done a pretty good job convincing me to go with the JA as opposed to the PRS HB, I have to admit. The only issue that was/is outstanding is whether it's sufficiently different from my 347 -- although from what I'm hearing, tonally and size-wise, that's the case. If it isn't, then I was actually giving serious thought to an ES175 (there's a couple of 1970s around, I notice) to have a totally different tone. Sounds like, however, the JA gets a good hollow hollowbody sound so that you can get near the 175's neighborhood.

FiveG

Gitfiddler

This is why I kicked the PRS HB II to the curb and never looked back:

ja110sider1yu.th.jpg

turk

So my new JA arrived today safe and sound.

My first impressions is that I totally agree with the comparison to a Tele; it has a great bite on the bridge pickup! Much more than I expected from a Gibson. The Tele has been my main guitar for a couple of years so this is good for me ... it sounded great with my Tonebender box and I was able to get it to howl nicely. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this new guitar!

quackattack

I Have JA096......Just remember

1] Tone trumps everything....I've had 3 PRS' [all solidbodies]. While they are very well built guitars, they always become wanting with respect to tone, after the honeymoon period. The JA tone is amazing. It is the most versatile guitar I own.

2] JA production is limited. I suspect it will appreciate, or at least hold, it's value.

Last edited: