• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Brian Robertson's Custom

thin sissy

The solo from "The Sun Goes Down" from "Thunder & Lightning" is Gorham. Sheer greatness.
I agree, it's the highlight of that album IMHO.

Mats A, will you be playing with Robbo around the area of Uppsala? In that case I would love to be there.

frazettafan

I´ve spoken to him a couple of times when he has giged here in Sweden. The Thin Lizzy tribute band i play in had him as guest on 2 gigs in March this year so i´ve played with him also.
No Lynott no Lizzy!

Thats cool - say 'Hi' to him for me! :peace2

kips2

IMG_0973a.jpg

Mats A

Nice! but his had gold speed controls.
According to it beeing a 70´s Custom. Watching Dvd´s it doesnt seem to have any volute.

audiocheck

Who knew about this:

51iEHCMFwjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded it off iTunes last week.

Not bad at all. Maybe guitar music is making a comeback?

By the way, all recent videos I could find show him with what looks like a Norlin era Standard /deluxe converted to HBs and a modern Standard.

He is the Master of the CRY BABY, still!

Thin_Lizzy

By the way, all recent videos I could find show him with what looks like a Norlin era Standard /deluxe converted to HBs and a modern Standard.

That is the old Thin Lizzy Deluxe. He still own it and is still his no.1.

Mats A

Who knew about this:

51iEHCMFwjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I downloaded it off iTunes last week.

Not bad at all. Maybe guitar music is making a comeback?

He is the Master of the CRY BABY, still!

On the Live And Dangerous Dvd he plays the black Custom. I knew about the CD. Got three copies of it. The last i got signed from Robbo when he played as guest with my Thin Lizzy Tribute Band last year.
He used a Colorsound wah wah in Thin Lizzy. Nowdays he plays a Vox wah wah.

thin sissy

Well i think his Deluxe got stolen. Don´t know if he´s got it back since. Nowdays he plays a Les Paul Classic.
Really?! That's a real shame if it happened. He used it on the Phil tribute concert at least (but that was some time ago), do you know when it got stolen?

musicfunkydude

Does anyone know what year Robbo's black Custom is? I have only found one reference to it's year and that is 1960, but I don't know if that's correct. Also, if it is a later year, I wonder if the pickups are stock or if Robbo replaced them with PAFs, like he did with his Deluxe that he is using now.

Thanks Gang[/QUOTEaienagere

Hi to all you people of impeccable taste,just joined after a thread about my first guitar hero Brian Robertson landed me here,regarding his tone on L any D, it was the screaming wail and attitude of his playing that captivated me as a teenager ,guitar tone comes from one,s personality IMO, a Marshall stack and a Custom Les Paul doesn't hurt either lol,but having exhausted and learned just about every solo Robbo recorded, many years later I rediscovered Scott Gorham's playing,wow ! how did I overlook him first time around,,I agree with another post his Still in love with you solo is dreamy !! Check out the outro solo on Bad reputation,,sassy blues licks with some funk added and lightning pentatonic runs, try playing along to it,,far more technical than it first seems and a lovely guy as well,hope to hear from others,cheers.

Mats A

I believe he had the stock PAF´s on the Les Paul Custom. PAF is the stock pickup on an older Les Paul Custom. Seems most 1960 Customs had three pickups and ones with only two is extremely rare. On the original 50´s and 1960 Customs the three upper inlays on the neck was the same size. From 1968 they were different size and that´s how Robbos Custom looks. So many believe it´s a late 60s or early 70s Custom. Robbos Deluxe had the mini HBs that´s why he changed pickups on it in late 77 or early 78. He had it refretted then that´s why he started using the Custom. Later when in Wild Horses he thought the Deluxe sounded better so he started using that again. He plays a newer Les Paul Classic nowdays. He got the black Custom in late 1977 so almost all of his Thin Lizzy recordings is with the Deluxe with mini HB´s. Are You Ready on the Live And Dangerous album is the same version as on the Live And Dangerous video so that is the black Custom.
Seems there is Pictures from Tower Theatre in Philadelphia 10 20 77 one of two nights that were recorded for the King Bisquit Flower Hour and later ended up on the Live And Dangerous album. On them Robbo is playing the black Custom. So it might very well be that he´s playing the Custom on the songs on the album that was recorded then. He probably bought the guitar on this tour. Seems he started using it shortly after that.

Last edited:

Mats A

Yes he had four of them there. You can see them in the Wild Horses videos. The Copicats like many effects at that time had a low input impedance making the signa from the guitarl lose a lot of top end. Also they had their cabs pointing backwards here Like Robbo had with Frankie Miller.