• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whats the best riff and/or solo ever played on a Les Paul

VanR

Solo on "Moonage Daydream" (David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust) by Mick Ronson. Greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

jackdonovan

It would be interesting to know what the guitarists like Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page think is the best solo on a les paul guitar. Everybody has their opinion ... the lemon song solo is I reckon Page's best... he does everything on that number.

The best solo ever of course is another matter ... there are the jazz and classical, country and blues, rock and folk...etc. all with star players..:hank

Grayd8

Whole lotta love for the riff.
Hotel California for the solo.

Although many other solos are slightly edged out by it (by a hair) in my book.

i know for both there are a lot more technical riffs and solo's, that doesn't cut it in my book. For me it's about feel, and these two still get an emotional response from me after listening and playing them for over 30 years.

rainer2859

Proabably already mentioned somewhere in this thread but.... Greeny. Absolute Peter Green tonefest!

marshall1987

You know what.........a question like this is simply impossible to answer. There are just too many great guitar parts played on a Les Paul..But I'll tell you what. I recently have revisited Jethro Tull Aqualung and really did Martin Barr's playing on this tune. His solo is very tasty and well phrased. It takes you up to the stratosphere, holds you there, and then lets you down gracefully. Simply great work by Martin Barr.:salude

Jabba-burst

I vote for the Paul Trifecta: Free - All Right Now!

Les Paul Guitar
Paul Kossoff playing
Paul Rodgers singing.

That's why it's the best rock & roll song of all freaking time!

:dude:

Have to add the moonshine live solo for good measure:

Last edited:

lifesonfan

Crazy Train...Steve Vai said the first time he heard it, was the first time he'd ever been scared by a guitar riff.

RR baby!

Starmsn

Every riff and solo played by Gary Richrath on the REO Speedwagon "9 Lives" album. That is a Les Paul in all its glory.

BurstBrian

I vote for the Paul Trifecta: Free - All Right Now!

Les Paul Guitar
Paul Kossoff playing
Paul Rodgers singing.

That's why it's the best rock & roll song of all freaking time!

:dude:

Have to add the moonshine live solo for good measure:

Paul Rodgers has such a great voice...Excellent video too!!!!

The_Laird

This.

Greeny at his best. The recording may not be the absolute top quality (it was done on a smuggled two track), but I'd count it as one of the very best ever in terms of sheer excitement.

It has the added bonus, being an instrumental, of not having John Mayall singing in it.

SJB353

Ha, no John M.
Funny. But, I must agree with The_Laird on this. Peter Green must have had to go to
the hospital after this to get the flames coming out of his hands put out!
Greeny's - The Stumble, Live, 1967, w/Mayall
Buff

rainer2859

Bernard Jenkins-Just Clapton with Mayall on piano, as raw as it gets. Recorded in 65 pre the Beano album!