• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1974 LP Custom 20th Anniversary

mikeyrsmith

Thin_Lizzy said:
The binding around the fretboard and the nut are very white. I suppose they're newer?

Yeah, this one had been re-fretted before I bought it, so the nut was replaced and is very white. The binding is original, and isn't quite as white in person as it is in the picture...though it might have been bollocksed or planed somehow during the re-fret.

kitchen

Mine has the best action I have every experienced on a guitar. Why are the fretless wonder, frets not liked by many players? Seems easy and smooth to me.
Steve

kitchen

Wonder how many years they keep this neck profile? Is it just on the custom? It just really feels right to me also.
Steve

Bluedawg

mmcquain said:
Very nice. That brings back memories as the first real LP I played on was a 20th Anniversary Custom that my guitar instructor loaned me when my Montgomery Wards LP copy broke. Over the past almost 30 years since then I've tried to talk him into selling me that guitar (he's a collector with about 100 guitars). It is still the lowest action, truly "fretless wonder" LP that I've ever seen. It just played "like bud'her" :salude

The frets are almost not there. I've always loved the way it plays. Other guitar players have said I need to put these big railroad track frets on it, but I've always done my best to keep it stock.

:jim

mmcquain

Bluedawg said:
The frets are almost not there. I've always loved the way it plays. Other guitar players have said I need to put these big railroad track frets on it, but I've always done my best to keep it stock.
:jim

Yep, keep the frets stock... Heck, I'd love to get my hands on one of these in the creamy white (like my friend's) so if you're ever thinking of changing the frets then I'd be interested in getting yours and you could get something else!

Thin_Lizzy

kitchen said:
Wonder how many years they keep this neck profile? Is it just on the custom? It just really feels right to me also.
Steve

I don't know how long they used this profile, but it;s not just the Custom. My Customs ('70 and '74) and my Deluxe ('73) all have the same nice profile.

CutieJones

+1 for fretless wonder. I hate tall frets, absolutely hate 'em. Snag and drag your fingers up and down the neck.

mikeyrsmith

CutieJones said:
+1 for fretless wonder. I hate tall frets, absolutely hate 'em. Snag and drag your fingers up and down the neck.

-1 for the fretless wonder. Of course, it all depends on your technique and playing style. I just can't get enough traction with those tiny frets for bends and such--I need taller wire. That being said, I wouldn't mind have at least ONE '70s LP that was 100% original...all of mine have been re-fretted.

dwagar

Mine was also refretted sometime prior to my buying it. Although it takes away the fretless wonder originality, I too prefer the bigger frets.

I just realized, I haven't posted a picture of mine yet:

lp1.jpg

Refret, graphite nut and Grovers before I bought it.
Voodoo 59s, pots and vintage caps were my changes.

kitchen

Mine is all orginal which is kind of neat. The only thing I don't like is the pick up covers which have a lot of the gold gone. I was on ebay last night and someone was selling orginal covers they said came from a 20th anniversary which he said he only used for six months and were in storage for years. They look pretty new. I know covers are covers but its kind of neat to put covers on that are totally from the same period. Don't know if thats worth the effort but I got them and they are on their way.
Steve

Thin_Lizzy

kitchen said:
Mine is all orginal which is kind of neat. The only thing I don't like is the pick up covers which have a lot of the gold gone. I was on ebay last night and someone was selling orginal covers they said came from a 20th anniversary which he said he only used for six months and were in storage for years. They look pretty new. I know covers are covers but its kind of neat to put covers on that are totally from the same period. Don't know if thats worth the effort but I got them and they are on their way.
Steve

I'm afraid the gold on your 'new' ones will wear off pretty quickly too.

lp20th

I got one too, Cherry Sunburst. I am the original owner, purchased in 1974 for around $450, 20th aniversary model. #2 stamped on headstock, blem in maple top near pickups. I thought I was the only one in the world with a #2 but I see a few out there in this forum

Mods done in the mid/late 70's:
Brass nut
Fret job - larger frets and back to original type nut
Grover Rotomatics
Leo Quan Bad Ass Bridge
Clear Plexiglass pick guard (home made)
Removed pick up selector label
50's style knobs
Diamarzio PAF's
Remove pick up covers
Strap lock

Mods done in 2005:
Reinstall original ABR-1
Graph Tech saddles
Top Wrap strings
Wagner Darkbursts pickups
RS Premium Historic kit
50's wiring
RS Historic Studs
RS Tailpiece

I have all the original parts less the old fret wire as well.

Progrocker111

@kitchen> Congrats to your LP Custom. :dude:
Im am a big fan of early 70s Les Pauls and have the same neck profile like you are describing on my 73 Custom. Very comfortable profile to me. I have the original "fretless wonder" frets too and i like them, because im not bending very much. They are great for faster playing.

lp20th

Here is a photo of my 20th. I guess it qualifies as a clownburst. But real beauty come from within. The reds actually aren't as strong as it shows in the photo and it looks a lot mellower in indoor or evening light. This picture is a little out of date too. The tailpiece and studs are not the RS parts that I listed in my earlier post. Also the new RS parts are nickel finish and since the original covers were pretty worn I polished off what was left of the gold plate. The only gold finish remaining is on the grover tuners

3726_p48934.jpeg

nwobhm

Thin_Lizzy said:
Oh BTW: always willing to show off mine '74 :2cool

afbeelding0737hk.jpg
That's just like mine, white with the plastic plates under the tailpiece.

korngold

kitchen said:
Steve

Kitchen,

Do you want to sell those worn gold covers?
:hmm

kitchen

Sorry don't want to sell the old covers. I got the new ones and have not attempted to put them on. Someone told me that in a short while the new ones would wear as well. Don' know if it is worth the effort. Keeping the new ones in reserve.
Steve

texas legs lee

I bought my 1st 20th anniv custom, USED back in 1975, for $480 [which was a TON of $$ for me back then. it was my 1st LP, All 'cream' color.
pontiacrosenbloomandtheexiledpicofm.jpg

gigged extensively with it in my rolling stones tribute band, cracked the headstock, had it fixed, meantime found ANOTHER 20th anniv as a backup, a TWO TONE one[!] all black but with a cream top [paid $490 fot it]. Never seen another one like it [it was stamped w/ a #2]. cracked the headstock on that one too, but had it fixed as well.
Ended up jonesing for a hollowbody back in 1987, and traded the all cream one+cash for an ES335 dot reissue.
wish I still had that 1st cream one. still have the 2 tone one though...
oldstreetfighterpicinmassapequa2.jpg