• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Standard Faded Tobacco Burst

Cheburashka

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm new to the forum and very impressed by what I've read here so far (real brain trust in Gibby LPs).

I just recently got my first Gibson LP, after years of Fender, Ibanez, and other Gibsons (Flying Vs and SGs, all of which had horrendous QC issues). I'm extremely delighted with this new guitar - it has the BEST pickups I've ever heard, an incredibly resonant acoustic tone, and compared to previous Gibsons I've had, has virtually flawless construction (it's not as precisely assembled as a CNC-made guitar, but being handmade, it shouldn't have to be).

lespaul.jpg

Rock-On!!

Beautiful guitar!!:salude

Give us some more details, what pickups, year, model,etc..

B

Bluesslinger

That's a Standard?? Wow! Rivals many Historics I've seen - beautiful guitar!

Cheburashka

It's a 2005 Les Paul Standard with Faded Tobacco burst finish... it really leaped out at me in the music store, because its top was far more attractive than any of the glossy LPs I'd previously seen. I got a major case of GAS as a result, and after trying probably 30 other LPs, I came back to this one, and ironically enough, it was the one that impressed me the most sonically.

It has the burstbucker pros, which sound to my ear like DiMarzio Air Classic pickups, although with a slightly more "focused" feel. There's none of the nasty super high output boom of the old 490 series pickups. In terms of the finish, I actually like it a lot more than the gloss. It's not as sticky, and seems to let the wood breathe a lot more... the tone seemed to be a lot more complex and woody than the regular standards that I played.

Cheburashka

Sure - I got from "Bud's Guitars" in Peterborough, ON, Canada (a small mom & pop outfit), and I paid $2175Cdn for it.

Gold Tone

Cheburashka said:
......it's not as precisely assembled as a CNC-made guitar, but being handmade, it shouldn't have to be........

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Not sure who told you it was handmade.........it is a CNC made guitar.

Cheburashka

Correction: Hand assembled. Mostly. ;)

It definitely isn't as cleanly put together as an Ibanez or Epiphone, but it plays a LOT better, has incredible tone, and "character", I feel.

wicked1

Please clarify for me. Is this a faded sunburst of one of the faded series?

Gold Tone

Cheburashka said:
It definitely isn't as cleanly put together as an Ibanez or Epiphone, but it plays a LOT better, has incredible tone, and "character", I feel.

You will fit right in here at the LPF with the other Les Paul nuts with an attitude like that!!!! :)

:wail :dude

535faultless

I think they mean "Hand Stained".
I would argue that the guitar is more hand-made than cnc'd, but definately not 100% hand made. Les Pauls never were all hand made.

etvetv2001

Congratulations! You're guitar is a gem! I also got one of the tobacco burst Faded Standards this past week. (see pic)

fadedmoda.jpg

bluespckr

Man, your guitar just slaps you in the face, doesn't i? It screamS for attention ... which it deserves. She is gorgeous. Nice find. Oh, and I love the look of those B&W PUPs against that finish. SWEEEEEEEET :dude

Cheburashka

From what I can tell, in addition to the faded series plain tops that people seem to dislike, Gibson is making some real gems, probably to encourage people to sign on. I'm not sure what the concensus about these guitars is, but from my point of view, it's win-win for the customer and for Gibson: We're getting a beautiful guitar for a few hundred less with extremely good tone due to the really thin finish, and Gibson is probably saving a packet by eliminating the extra drying/buffing.