• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My 2013 R9 Review

Todd68

Hello,

So I've had some time to play the 2013 Les Paul and I think I can give a pretty fair review.

1) One piece board, hot-hide glue, truss-rod rubber --- I can't tell if a guitar has any of these things. I think it's great that Gibson is moving in the correct direction, but I've had killer Les Paul Historics from many years (duds too). My first LP CS was a 2003 BR board R8. It sounded ok. So there you go. Now, I only have one 2013 and have only played one. If they consistently ring out loud like mine and sound as awesome as the one I have, the difference may have to do in the small changes. The 2013 I have has nothing on Sandy (and that's got the 2012 specs). They sound a lot different, but both Les Pauls are awesome. The great thing is that Sandy has nothing on the regular production R9 that I'm sitting next to.

2) The finish work - Perfection! Gibson QC is knocking it out of the park. The 2013 is flawless in look and feel. The nitro isn't sticky. This is particularly the case on the neck.

3) Pickups/tone - The guitar is very well balanced. Smooth would be the word. The notes are thick, woody and full sounding. Absolutely no mud .... anywhere. The fuzzy little overtones you hear when playing leads in the bridge spot are beautiful. The guitar sustains forever. It cleans up very well too. The middle spot with the neck rolled off a bit is satin smooth yet articulate. Your notes do not get lost in chording. The neck spot is very warm. Big and bold! Great for the ABB stuff. The clarity is wonderful. The stock PUs are keepers! I believe that Gibson had been putting out some good Burstbuckers (hit and miss) but these Custom buckers are right on!

4) Neck - Great! A little more meat than Sandy but way less shoulder than the older R9s I had. It seems that there may be the softest V present. I guess that would be inevitable if the shoulders were reduced.

5) Colour - Perfect! The back colour is awesome. Deep, rich and grainy. The binding is very clean. Sandy had a bit of bleed but the 2013 isn't showing anything at this point. Not that I'd care. The top colour on mine is very well done. I think the biggest changes this year are actually seen in the goldtops (soon ....... soon).

6) Top Carve - See the pics.

Overall, the 2013 R9 is one of the best LPs to come my way. When I think of some of my favourites, I think Sandy, JPP 1, Pearly and the Bloomfield. I also remember a particular Murphy that I really liked. All these guitars were costly and limited. My 2013 R9 is just an R9. It is right up there with the best I've played (and better than some). That surprised me. It looks like it'll be a good year for Gibson lovers. It's awesome to think that you'll be able to grab a reissue off the shelf that needs nothing done.

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.

Todd

ScreenShot2013-02-01at65436PM_zpsd4298059.png

ScreenShot2013-02-02at64905PM_zps8d462ab3.png

IMG_4649_zps72cbc3fc.jpg

IMG_4647_zps4e2effc9.jpg

IMG_4644_zps76eb2019.jpg

IMG_4645_zps1f14f9ed.jpg

IMG_4641_zps34b9d697.jpg

IMG_4591_zps8961d7a8.jpg

IMG_4608_zpse0a25755.jpg

MS 57

Thanks for sharing ! That was an interesting read and a plausible excuse for more GAS. Guitar LOOKS amazing as well ! :dude:

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Todd...thanks for sharing. Your experience is very similar to mine.:applaude

poon99

I found the same results and I have played a few of them(13's).All have been great and there are some that are exceptional.
The "regular" R9s are now neck and neck with the CCs and Sigs are far as feel and sound.
There is enough variety in voice,looks and feel in the new R9s to please just about everybody.
Get out and try them.

Y

yeti

Thanks for the review, well done!
BTW, I think yours is the best looking so far, IMHO:salude
I like the tighter flame a lot, just perfect, congrats.

sharky

thanks for sharing your impressions, well done!

Guitar looks awesome and even though I'm no fan of the darker Bursts normally, I like the 13s very, very much. The coloring is very tasteful, Gibson nailed it pretty much.

The dish of the top carve looks more pronounced as well, the guitar seems to have more of a belly. Fantastic

ourmaninthenorth

Enjoyed reading your review, thanks. I'll echo previous observations about the top carve and colour - both of which look fantastic. :salude

pinefd

Great review, and great looking guitar! Congrats!

Frank

shred

Great looking guitar... Thanks for taking time to share your experience :salude

goldtop0

Congrats Todd and thanks for the informative review:2cool
Next week I'm getting my GT so I'll be doing a run down in the near future.

Yours is a VOS bourbonburst I take it? That's one helluva LP!!

kelv_w

that's a very nice top!
I'm tempted to pick up of these. What colour is that?

Top Gun

I concur with everything you wrote and think these 2013’s are quite nice. That’s not to say that LP’s from past years are now any less great, they too are very nice…

Todd68

Top Gun - I agree. There are gems from every year but the fact that Gibson made some good changes this year needs to be mentioned. On top of that, a lot of buyers are happy with 2013 guitars.

Kelv w - It's a Bourbon Burst. A colour that sits nicely between the cherry and tobacco.