• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson SG Firebrand

Bengal

Hello,
I just scored a 1980 SG Firebrand. The Truss rod cover says "Firebrand" on the top and "The SG Deluxe" on the bottom. It has open coil humbuckers. The bridge being zebra. 22 fret ebony board with dots. Gold Gibson logo, not burned in. Stamped "Second" on the back, I'm fimiliar with what that means. It's red, the salesman had it marked Cardinal Red. Says it's a "rare" finish for that guitar. Any info on these? I tried a search but didn't find much for the SG Firebrand. I know they were entry level models, at least I think they were. What kind of PU's are in these? Nice playing git, no matter what it in t here...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
They are related to the "The Paul" series, which became the Firebrand The Paul series.
Solid colors are rare, as most wear a natural finish [not gloss].

Bengal

Mine definatly looks like the firebrand Deluxe from the SG website. But mine is not "branded" for the logo and it's bright red with gloss. How "rare" are they? Anyone know? Anyone know the pickups?

T

Troels

The SG Firebrand has a ebony fingerboard - not exactly entry level... It's great guitars and the silk matt finish can easily be buffed to a much shinier level... It's simply great guitars with VERY fast necks...

Bengal

Thanks for the info guys. I've been spending the afternoon with it and it's a nice guitar. Very beefy. Has a nice look with the red finish and the black pickguard and ebony fretboard. Reminds me of Brad Gillis's Fender Strat from the Ozzy and early Night Ranger days. I may be trading the owner of a shop here in town for it, he gave it to me for the day to get aquanted. Nice when people do that. I'm sure Guitar Center won't do it...

T

Troels

It's actually identical to the standard SG from the same period - with the jack receptor on the side and not on the top. BTW: take the control cavity cover of and look carefully - sometimes they stamped day, months and year with ink on this model...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Troels said:
It's actually identical to the standard SG from the same period - ...

The Firebrand model, the same as a Standard? :^*
Not any I ever had, or saw. :toobad

Bengal

The block inlays are a little different than the dots on the Firebrand...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Troels said:
Take a look at 1980-81 SG - it's identical to SG Firebrand (de luxe = mahogany) except The Firebrand has ebony fingerboards and the "real" SG has glossy finish (and a rosewood fingerboards).

You can see one here: http://www.everythingsg.com/adverts/1980 Gibson SG Standard.jpg

Much greater differences than that, as shown in your pic of the catalog page.
Headstock with pearl logo, pearl "crown" in;laid in a black verneered headstock, versus a decal logo on a natural finish mahogany headstock.
Fingerboard has block pearl inlays, with binding, versus unbound with dots.
Pickups were standard Gibson pickups [alnico magnets] with covers, versus uncovered dirty fingers [ceramic magnets].
Gloss finish versus [mostly] satin finish.
As I recall, the body bevels were more pronounced on the Standard, also.
;)

T

Troels

I wasn't completely clear on this one here... I did mean the body route mainly with the jack receptor on the side of the guitar and the toggle switch in "wrong" place... As you can see the control cavity is not like most SG Standards as it's similar to the Firebrand. The body is in all details all the same as the Firebrand - I know because I've been owner of both at the same time. I still think it's a little strange, that they used ebony on that Firebrand neck (three piece mahogany btw) and not on the standard. But I can say that - against all odds (Norlin...) - my 1980 Firebrand was the absolutely best and fastest Gibson neck I've ever had. I like a low action and the action on that one was below ONE MILLIMETER measured over the 12th fret - and NO fret buzz nowhere on the fret boards because of that. I sold it only because I has to many guitars on to little space... BTW They made two SG Firebrands - the Standard made of walnut and the De Luxe made of Mahogany - both with ebony fingerboard.

Bengal

Didn't pay anything yet. But if we work something out, I'm trading for it...

He didn't have much on it though, cheaper than a used newer SG Standard...

Art Werck

I played a Firebrand back in the early 80's. It had the Les Paul shape. It had a dark walnut finish. It was a sweet little guitar, perfect for the beginner that I was. It was simple, straightforward with great tone. I got rid of it in favour of a 335 custom.
Alas, I couldn't afford to have both.

T

Troels

Firebrands are NOT beginners guitars at all. It's just that they have saved money on expensive finishes and stuff like that.

All Firebrands have excellent necks with ebony fingerboards (if you like that...) - and these guitars are made of quality wood - as well as PUs, pots and all that stuff is identical to the Standard SGs of the year and of high quality as well. Firebrands are from the begining though as affordable quality.

Art Werck

WHOA! Calm down shavetail! I said it was the perfect guitar for a beginner like me. Itwas comfortable and very user friendly. I'm sure it would work well for any player regardless of his/her experience. I also said I woud have kept the guitar had I been able to afford two at that time.

T

Troels

...I can say I wish I had kept mine as well... :) Well it could be read like taht you think it is a beginners guitar. And it would be sad to leave that one ringing in the air. Furthermore it's just so, that many young and new players read a lot of stuff like ours here - and I wouldn't like them to think that buying a new SG is a better buy than a Firebrand even it maight be a lot cheaper... because it's not. ALL the firebrands I've payed is way better than any new (production) SGs I've tried.

Bengal

I'm reviving the thread with a pic of the body of the SG in quesiton. I also have it posted on the SG site. Just trying to find info on this SG...

IMAG0041.jpg