• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

RS Superpots weak???

A-tony

hi,
I've just read in another thread of another user who had problems with RS Superpots... I've found 'em fantastic soudin' (best pots I've tried and I've tried Alpha, CTS, CTS high spec and many more...) but a bit "weak", the first time I've changed PUs one (the one I've put as neck volume) has suddenly died... anyone has problems with this pots???

Don

Nope. They should generally sound a bit "stronger" bacause they're never below 500k.
If they sound "weaker" something's wrong.

Minneapolis Slim

I think he was asking if they're physically weak.

Sorry, no personal experience, other than to say the RS stuff I've gotten in the past is top notch. I don't expect the Superpots would be any different. In fact, they're supposed to be an upgrade over regular CTS pots.

A-tony

I think he was asking if they're physically weak.

Sorry, no personal experience, other than to say the RS stuff I've gotten in the past is top notch. I don't expect the Superpots would be any different. In fact, they're supposed to be an upgrade over regular CTS pots.

+1 thats exactly the point... RS stuff is very good so I'm searchin' for other members experience with this pots 'cause I've found another guy who has a pot dead after a short time... (just like me)

Rico

Give them a call.........they will take care of it. I had a bad pot in a upgrade kit and they sent me a new one....... no questions.

sapi

I replaced my stock pots with 2 CTS/RS Superpots (special taper) for vol, and 2 CTS audio taper for tone, all 500k, from RS. The Superpots are not as smooth as the CTS and actually feel a bit harsh. You can hear the "shhh..." sound while turning them. The CTS are silent, and fine for tone, but probably a bit difficult to do vol swells with as they have more inertia. Wrote to RS with my observations, but didn't get a reply.
All the best...

Browneyes

Call them up., perhaps bad soldering... I don't know, first thing that comes to mind.

marshallcrazy

Yeah, I'd check the solder first and if all is well, I'd call them for sure. I believe that their quality control guidelines are such that any pots that they get, if they're not putting out at or above the specificity of the pot, in this case 500k (but not putting out too high like 530k on a 500 pot), they won't even let them out the door to a customer.

Hillbilly

The SuperPots are made for RS by CTS.

Every SuperPot is tested. Those that don't make the grade don't go out as SuperPots.

It's easy to burn up a pot if one isn't careful when soldering grounds to the back of the pot. Be quick & be careful.

Actually, SuperPots should be from the 520's & up...

sapi

I'm a tech and was quite careful with the ground soldering. However it could have happened, although if my memory serves me well, i noticed the difference right away.
Another cosmetic thing which bugged me was, the top hat knobs sit quite high up on the superpots (and high off the guitar top) compared to the regular CTS. The metal bushing structure is different. Anyone noticed this?

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
I had one collapse during installation. They shipped out a replacement no questions asked. All of the others I have (including the replacement) have been fine.

marT

I noticed the shaft sits up higher on the super pots also. Another washer behind etc won't work because its the actual shaft thats longer, not the threaded part. I have the most minimum amount of thread for the outside nut to grip onto and they are still a fair bit higher than the tone pots.

Its doesn't bother me anymore though. Its the tone that matters!

Hillbilly

RS offers two different kinds of the same pot: 'short' shaft & 'long' shaft...

If you have 'long' shafts, you'll have to do a bit of measurement & experimentation to get the "knob height" that you desire by implementing 2 nuts--one below the top and one above...Just adjust the nut below the top 'up' far enough (along with the lock washer) until the desired height above the top is obtained...

I'm sure your local GC or GIT-store will have a pile of these laying around for the taking...

EP_0068-003.jpg

marT

Thats what I did, I have it as low as it possibly can go without the nut going on and they are still higher than the normal CTS.

sapi

Exactly marT, the difference is in the tip of the pot's split bush part, where the knob slides in. The knob will not go in all the way and IMHO sits too high. I compared the split bushing of the Superpots and the regulars and they are different.

carydad

I've had problems with re-using them in another guitar. Push on the knobs and the whole thing pushed through. I just unmounted it, pushed it back together and recrimped the tabs and it's working fine. Lesson-support the back of the pot when pushing on a knob. I also had one where the head cracked off. Where you put the knob on..it was to pushed together. I tried to get a very small screwdriver in there and SNAP. Off it came. I've seen it on other parts from time to time. Of course this won't happen the first time because they are all new and shiny and unbent. Re-use, all bets are off. I was extremely careful having been bit by this in the past.

Browneyes

I've had problems with re-using them in another guitar. Push on the knobs and the whole thing pushed through. I just unmounted it, pushed it back together and recrimped the tabs and it's working fine. Lesson-support the back of the pot when pushing on a knob. I also had one where the head cracked off. Where you put the knob on..it was to pushed together. I tried to get a very small screwdriver in there and SNAP. Off it came. I've seen it on other parts from time to time. Of course this won't happen the first time because they are all new and shiny and unbent. Re-use, all bets are off. I was extremely careful having been bit by this in the past.

I have them in 13 guitars, Todd has them in 26. When I trade, buy or sell... I swap electronics. Never had a problem with them. Never needed a screwdriver to remove them either.

marT

One thing I noticed and love about the superpots is they have a semi-large boost from 9-10. I was thinking do the superpots have the "nailpolish" like mod already done to them? Thats the effect it sounds like to me.