• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1998 historics more accurate than 2013

59Vampire

In terms of inaccuracies:rofl

Hah. Got ya. Of course they aren't. The inlays are wrong, they are double stained to enhance flame the bridge pup is slightly off, a gap in the pick guard. But, since its my only one and can not afford another I have to put my spin on it. That's why it is far superior to a vintage burst:wah

In fact, mine is so inaccurate the body is stamped r8 and the serial is r9. But it plays, sounds, and looks cool. At least it has a one piece board:biggrin:

Love the one your with.

Last edited:

StonedMoses

you're right in most points...

BUT I would never sell mine because I love it... :salude

DonP

huh?

You lost me. So you are saying you want to stick with your 1998 instead of upgrading to a superior 2013? LOL! More power to you. I'm happy with my 6 LP's.

StonedMoses

I don't know where you see the update on 2013... Sure they are historically more correct but why should I sell a guitar that looks and sounds great and that I'm happy with?

Your 6 LPS are from 2013???

MikeG59

Superior? In what respect? Vintage accuracy? what the hell does that have to do with superior workmanship and quality of tone and playability? The 90's models are unique in their own way. Better than current in some respects, not all.

59Vampire

Superior? In what respect? Vintage accuracy? what the hell does that have to do with superior workmanship and quality of tone and playability? The 90's models are unique in their own way. Better than current in some respects, not all.

Lol. I think Don is just tongue n cheekin it the way my post was meant to be. It's all good. :2zone :salude :peace2

Black58

I'll NEVER get rid of my '97! .. A great guitar is a great guitar. :jim

MikeG59

listen. we all have our own views and Gibson has us wrapped. They change a few things every year or so to keep us buying more guitars. That doesn't mean its a bad thing. But think about their long term planning once they realized how many guitars they could sell and what they could get away with charging for them. touché

DonP

Yes, that was what the LOL! was for.

My point is if you have something that works, stick with it.

And no, no 2013's for me.

I have the 1956, 1977, 1996, 2002, 2004, and 2009 inacurate models LOL!

oldflame

I've had a couple of 98's. I kinda liked them. Nice flashy tops n'all but they were too heavy for me.

luv my '92 PRE Historic- great guitar

raph

There are exceptions, but on average IMHO the wood in the 90s (especially the ebony) is better than in later years. I don't have a historic/reissue from the 90s, but my Gibson USA Les Paul Special TV Yellow from '96 is a much better guitar with much nicer wood and paint than the similar model released from the custom shop today. The secondhand price reflects this too.

herb

My '95 R8 is the best sounding modern Les Paul that I have ever played. I check out the newer ones when I see them in the shops. Nothing has come close.

sidekick

My '95 R8 is the best sounding modern Les Paul that I have ever played. I check out the newer ones when I see them in the shops. Nothing has come close.

Glad you have found your "the one".

Sometimes, can take years. Especially, when all the aspects of sound and playability come together for the individual. Even with the old original LP's, some are considered better than others.

Chances are, that some are also looking for a great top which appeals as well and that can further compound things even further... :wah

herb

Glad you have found your "the one".

Sometimes, can take years. Especially, when all the aspects of sound and playability come together for the individual. Even with the old original LP's, some are considered better than others.

Chances are, that some are also looking for a great top which appeals as well and that can further compound things even further... :wah

Thanks, yeah, I was lucky. The guitar is completely stock, too. Sometimes I think about putting a light-weight tailpiece on it but why mess with a good thing.

Although I am not a nit-picker about historic accuracies I do love the looks of the flame tops but have grown to appreciate my guitar for what it is, a great sounding and playing instrument.

Also, most of the Les Paul players that I dig from 60's and 70's had one LP they were known for. If that was good enough for them...

Biggles58

I remember my first post on this forum; proudly posting a pic of '98 R8 and intoducing myself to the community, What followed was a long list of comments regarding the '98 resissues "innacuracies". It was a humbling if not an educational experience. 13 years later I still have the guitar. I've made some minor mods; Montreaux ring, poker chip switch ring and pickguard, a vintage Bigsby and RS vintage style pots and caps. Is it still "innaccurate"? Well, I suppose so but I still love the guitar and play it often. So the moral is it may not be an exact replica of a vintage Sunburst but it is still a great guitar...