• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Cost to refinish a Standard in historically correct nitro?

Danny

Les Paul Forum Member, Formerly Musicinmysoul
Sorry for the lengthy title.
I saw in another thread that someone got their Historic refinished in new nitro for $250. I've been thinking about getting my Standard refinished in vintage-correct nitro for awhile now, but I always assumed it would cost more than $500 or so. Hearing that it's cheaper than I originally thought, I thought I would start doing a little research.

Searching around, I found a thread that said to strip and refinish the top will cost around $260. So where does that put stripping and refinishing the entire guitar in historically correct nitro?

Edit: Oh, and my bad. Here's some obligatory pretty pictures.

11-20-10.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_4486.jpg

Last edited:

kharrison

IMHO more hassle than it is worth. You will be without your guitar for atleast 6 months and what are you really gaining. Been there done that, just play the thing and don't worry about the nitro.

Danny

I'm gaining a guitar that will show it's age when it's 45?

Black58

My '97 R8 took it's time, but it's checking.
Don't sweat it, man. Just enjoy it and when she's ready, she'll go. :jim

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The cost form most vendors to do a whole nitro refin is more than the guitar is worth.

sonar

I don't think "historically correct" nitro is being made anymore. Any readily available current blends are going to have stabilizers and/or "plasticizers" in the equation that wasn't in the mix 60 years ago.

As a side note I picked up a buddy's Memphis Strat copy with a poly finish a while ago and it's aging very nicely. Go figure.

Triplet

I'm gaining a guitar that will show it's age when it's 45?

We don't know how these things are going to age, yet. Who knows, maybe the plasticizers will turn a gorgeous amber - or purple.... :hee

Danny

I don't think "historically correct" nitro is being made anymore. Any readily available current blends are going to have stabilizers and/or "plasticizers" in the equation that wasn't in the mix 60 years ago.

As a side note I picked up a buddy's Memphis Strat copy with a poly finish a while ago and it's aging very nicely. Go figure.

Then I would settle for the most accurate nitro available. If funds weren't an issue (when are they not?) I would probably go with HM and just have them not do any aging.

John Potter

I've seen pictures posted on this web-site from people who've played the heck out of their USA Production Les Pauls and have gotten some nice wear and tear and checking. So, I don't think the issue of "historically correct" Nitro is an issue.

I, on the other hand, own a 1970 ES-150D that I bought used last year. This guitar is 40 years old and has absolutely NO checking.

So, I'm inclined to believe that you need to use and abuse to get the aging you want.

Just my 2 cents...

ThorK

I've seen pictures posted on this web-site from people who've played the heck out of their USA Production Les Pauls and have gotten some nice wear and tear and checking. So, I don't think the issue of "historically correct" Nitro is an issue.

So, I'm inclined to believe that you need to use and abuse to get the aging you want.

Just my 2 cents...

Yep agreed. It's how you play it, how often you play it, where you play it (conditions), your body chemisty (sweat, acidity), your clothing (belt buckles? jean rivets like Axel lol) and how well you care for/clean it.

Friend of mine has a 2008 American Standard Tele that looks well-worn, through finish, worn maple 'board, etc. he just doesn't clean it much and play it all the time, gigs on weekend.

Play it plenty, she'll age eventually! Though maybe not how you'd expect an original 50s model to age. :2zone :2zone :2zone

Danny

sell it....buy an historic.

....THEN have THAT refinned.

:wah

:biggrin:

Ha, despite being recently cleaned my Standard is pretty beat, I doubt she'd bring in much.

I guess I'm stuck though! It's a pretty unfortunate situation, owning a Les Paul (something many people would consider to be a privilege) but not being able to afford a refinishing...

Nooobody knows the trouble I've seen, nobody knows my sorrows...

:spabout

Doc Sausage

sell it....buy an historic.

....THEN have THAT refinned.

:wah

:biggrin:

:lol Hmm, surely there's a real '59 out there somewhere that someone found in grandma's attic, had it refinned in "incorrect" period glossy nitro (say around 1980 or so) only to then put it back the way it was in the attic at one of these vendors last year.

Historic - in the eyes of the axeholder, I 'spose...

roycaster

And don’t forget Rick Derringer. He had his Les Paul refinished, only to find the guitar lost its mojo. He sold it, and then Clapton buys it. He plays a jaw dropping solo with it that people are still listening to decades later. Now that’s costly.