• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How many Bursts are not accounted for?

janalex

There are 31 of Dirks 'Bursts pictured in BOTB. Rumors have it that he owns around 200, would seems crazy but considering his wealth is very plausable. If this is the case, that's another 169 that are actually accounted for, however, for those people outside of Dirks circle, would fall into the "unnccounted for" category.

This was what I was asking. It seems that Ziff may own a large portion of the bursts that are kept outside of public view.

Biggles58

Which gets back to my question: Just exactly when is a Burst considered "accounted for"? :)
I think perhaps how many Bursts are "unknown to the general guitar playing public" or something similar was what the poster meant to express but your point is taken Tom. Now go and play one of Bursts man!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I think what the original question of "accounted for" pertains to a method of cataloging them in some way & comparing them to shipping totals (if shipping totals exist). What we want to know is, of how many shipped, what number is accounted for & acknowleged as a valuable 'Burst by their owners?

And here you present two different scenarios where they are considered "accounted for".

The owners I know, who wish to remain anonymous, certainly know that they own valuable Bursts. But these guitars do not show up in "lists". :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
There are 31 of Dirks 'Bursts pictured in BOTB. Rumors have it that he owns around 200, would seems crazy but considering his wealth is very plausable. If this is the case, that's another 169 that are actually accounted for, however, for those people outside of Dirks circle, would fall into the "unnccounted for" category.

Here again, an asumption is made, and I feel it is far from accurate.
Forget trying to guess how many he has. Just take into account that BOTB is an old book, and that many Bursts Dirk has are in lists. As an example, Julio's list does not name the owners. Nor does BOTB get updated, as some guitars change hands.
So, many other Bursts that Dirk has are "accounted for", besides the ones he owned that were included in BOTB.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

This was what I was asking. It seems that Ziff may own a large portion of the bursts that are kept outside of public view.

And speculating what that number is is merely that .... speculation.
And as I just wrote, Dirk has added a Bursts that are already known. Just because he does not inform the world exactly which ones he has, does not mean they are unaccounted for.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I think perhaps how many Bursts are "unknown to the general guitar playing public" or something similar was what the poster meant to express but your point is taken Tom. Now go and play one of Bursts man!

Check out the Oldenburg show thread, plus this week's Burst Pic thread when I post it soon. :salude

BillyB

I guess it could be taken as a nonsensical question - not being well up on these matters, and considering how relatively few were made, I thought there may have been some serious attempt to log them all, that's all...but then again, I guess that infringes on matters of privacy etc...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I think Julio's site, Burst Serial, is the most serious attempt to log them all. And, it still grows.

treeofpain

So maybe the question is:

How can we encourage burst owners to submit pics and serial numbers in a way that protects their privacy?

B

bigsby'd

How can we encourage burst owners to submit pics and serial numbers in a way that protects their privacy?

I don't post/list serial #s of my guitars, and it has nothing to do with my privacy.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

By convincing them that there is a benefit to them, for doing this.
And that is not always easy.

cool hand luc

i am the only guitarist in my family. and i keep hoping that a relative will find an old gibby in an attic one day and just give it to me because they dont know anyone else that will use it. lol. far fetched i know, but it would be amazing.

When I was younger I was in a friends guitar shop and he was stringing up an early 60s ES-335. I played it and it was cool. Big tight flat wound jazz strings so the experience playing it wasn't "great". But they had bought it for their son brand new and he went off to war in the 60s for uncle sam to Vietnam. Their son didn't make it back but instead of selling his stuff they kept it all. His ES-335 had been under the bed for 30 years at the point I saw it. Their plans were for it to go back under the bed after it had been checked out and restrung.

Sometimes guitars are still found in the attic or under the bed. and that one will one day surface and be a real player for someone.

Joe Ganzler

When I was younger I was in a friends guitar shop and he was stringing up an early 60s ES-335. I played it and it was cool. Big tight flat wound jazz strings so the experience playing it wasn't "great". But they had bought it for their son brand new and he went off to war in the 60s for uncle sam to Vietnam. Their son didn't make it back but instead of selling his stuff they kept it all. His ES-335 had been under the bed for 30 years at the point I saw it. Their plans were for it to go back under the bed after it had been checked out and restrung.

Sometimes guitars are still found in the attic or under the bed. and that one will one day surface and be a real player for someone.

No offense, but if I had a NICKEL for EVERY time I've heard THAT story vis a vis a vintage guitar or a Corvette, I'd have a BIG pile of nickels...

kharrison

There is a fellow player/collector that owns a burst in the same neighborhood. He started collecting guitars and amps a long time ago and stays under the radar. I get a kick out of it everytime I pass by his house knowing a burst is in there and just down the street from me. I don't think he even knows about the LPF. He keeps a very low profile and does not talk about his amps and guitars. I've tried to get him to surface.

Last edited:

cool hand luc

No offense, but if I had a NICKEL for EVERY time I've heard THAT story vis a vis a vintage guitar or a Corvette, I'd have a BIG pile of nickels...

Whether or not the story is true from the owner (who was in his 60s and could have been blowing smoke though he wasn't trying to sell the guitar) I did indeed hold an early 60s ES-335 in my hands that day. With your experience I have no doubt that you have heard thousands of fake stories to try and sell an item. I personally have nothing to gain on telling the story. I'm not selling the guitar nor do I own it.

Rev.WillieVK

I'm sure that there was no offense meant, Luc.

It's just that sometimes it seems like every single soldier that lost their life in Vietnam, left behind a valuable '50s/'60s Gibson or Fender guitar (or Corvette). While some of these stories have been proven to be true, it does sound like a meme or cliché most times.

Joe Ganzler

I'm sure that there was no offense meant, Luc.

It's just that sometimes it seems like every single soldier that lost their life in Vietnam, left behind a valuable '50s/'60s Gibson or Fender guitar (or Corvette). While some of these stories have been proven to be true, it does sound like a meme or cliché most times.

Yes, my point exactly. I'm not kidding when I say that not ONE month passes by, since I was prolly 25 years old, that SOMEone (who knows/finds out I'm into vintage guitars and Corvettes) hasn't pulled me aside, sober-faced, to tell me about a (fill in the blank with vintage item of interest) that their (fill in the blank with appropriate "person of interest" usually once or twice "removed", so you can't REALLY confirm/repute the story RIGHT NOW) knows about whose son JUST bought (it's ALWAYS "two weeks before"!) said vintage item, left for Vietnam, and never came back...:ganz

Just last month one of the carpenters that was working next door saw me carrying out a guitar case to my car, and I got to hear the story one more time...:XRE

Rev.WillieVK

Just last month one of the carpenters that was working next door saw me carrying out a guitar case to my car, and I got to hear the story one more time...:XRE

And of course you said "So hook me up!", right Joe? :biggrin:

TM1

I think if i had bought one 20 years ago when I could almost afford one, I doubt if I would tell too many folks. I have a few guitars that never leave the house for gigs cause of their value. If I had a Burst I doubt if I'd let very many people know about it. Even though I have an alarm system and dogs, I wouldn't feel comfortable with people knowing what I have in my home.

B

bharat.k

It's easy to forget that these things weren't always as sought after as today.
Whilst working in a guitar shop years ago, I came across two lots of parents who had lost a son to war and years later were selling their home and only just managing to let their son's possessions go. The guitars in question were ok, but not bursts or anything, and just for the record, it's true that my mother gave away a Bugatti in the 60's but back then it was just a broken down old car her father had left in the way.