• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

50's Wiring For 1 Volume and 1 Tone

rastaman

Does anybody know or have a copy of a 50's Les Paul wiring schematic for a 1 volume + 1 tone with 2 Humbuckers??

Thanks in advance! Any help is much appreciated.

DANELECTRO

Here is how my 1957 Junior is wired:

50sWiringJunior.jpg

JuniorWiring.jpg

rastaman

Thanks guys! Does anyone have a pic with the 3way toggle? I have a PRS Soapbar I stuck some HB's in and it has a master volume, master tone, with a 3 way toggle.

Thanks!

rastaman

I'm obviously a novice here :hmm

My switch is in the same cavity as the pots.

So in the pic, where the conductor passes over the pot and where the pot legs are shown connected to the pot housing.. that's ground right?

shuie

Yes. Its the outer shield on the wire that gibson uses. The conductor of the pickup wire is inside a second insulated layer that is soldered to lug on the pot.

Post a picture of the cavity w/switch and someone will photoshop the connections. I can hardly spell PRS so I don't have a clue what to tell you right now.

DANELECTRO

I believe that this is what you want. Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge in electronics could chime in and confirm this.

50sWiring2Control.jpg

Last edited:

rastaman

Yes! Thanks Danelectro!

How 'bout this diagram for 50's wiring......

*edit* oops, how do I make it legible?

57LPWiring.gif

Minneapolis Slim

Slim, is there an advantage to the master tone/ master volume setup?

Nope, just ease of use. I do a lot of vol/tone adjusting while I play and I've gotten caught with the vol dropped when I switch pickups and that kind of thing. I figured the MV/MT works on a Tele, why not here, too? I've got the pickups balanced really nicely so I get three distinct tones when I switch the pickup selector.

Minneapolis Slim

I like that note on the blueprint, "Models after 7-1-73 use 300kA controls..."

The pots in my '78 Pro Deluxe measured between 260-305 and they were all linear!

Sterling1

Nope, just ease of use. I do a lot of vol/tone adjusting while I play and I've gotten caught with the vol dropped when I switch pickups and that kind of thing. I figured the MV/MT works on a Tele, why not here, too? I've got the pickups balanced really nicely so I get three distinct tones when I switch the pickup selector.

I learn something new every time I come here. Thanks for the insight.