• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1990's Les Paul Custom any good?

beatlenut

Are the 1990's Gibson Les Paul customs any good? I have a chance to buy a 1991 model.

dgk

i've had one for 7-8 years or so and think it's very good...what's the asking price?...:hippy

beatlenut

Just under $1,000. I "think" it comes with a case. I have asked if it is the brown Gibson case. I might offer $925. It's wine red. It has a Duncan JB in the bridge and stock in the neck. Gold hardware, but he mentions he still has the original black hardware which confuses me.

twtoker

if with the case and the guitar's in good condition then that would a good price imo. plus u get the duncan jb. original black hardware on a custom does sound weird though..........if u can, try out the guitar first to see if u like it......

i got a '90 custom and it's a great sounding and playing guitar......

beatlenut

I get to see/play it friday. The black hardware he was talking about is the tone/vol knobs and the pickup frames. He switched them all to gold. He claims a little buckle rash and 2 very minor dings on top. He says the brown gibson case has some stickers on it.

LESPAULKID

Custom LP

I love my '90 Custom Plus. Great tone as is w/stock pickups...LPK

GreenRiver

I like that era of custom. Play it. If it feels right, has your kind of tone, and looks good. That's a buy I'd probably not pass up.

pineder

$1000 sounds like a sweet deal to me. I'd buy it anyway. If you don't like it you could always ebay it and make a couple hundred $$!

beatlenut

I bought the guitar for $975. It had a couple dings on the top, scratch on the side, buckle rash and you could tell the headstock had been leaned against the wall a few times. I am a bit concerned about small cracks on the binding where the frets are. Could it be from lack of humidity? I would call it 8 of 10. Pretty decent shape really for 1991. He had set it up and had a fret dressing fairly recent. Had gold strap locks and he even let me have the original black knobs and the original Gibson bridge pickup (installed gold knobs and a JB in the bridge). I think I made out pretty good. The wine red is a bit darker than I imagined. He took the stickers off the case too. One of the black "tubes" on the handle ends is exposed. I guess the brown part broke off one end.

sunburst

cracks on the binding under the frets are fairly common and nothing to be concerned about.

case is no biggie, can always buy a new one.

Creme Top

Such a deal...

You did Good. I have an 89 Custom White with Gold Hardware and I paid $1400 for it a year ago. I got the brown case with the velour like insert. You can easily get a new case for yer Paul. My only complaint about my Lester is the thing feels heavy enough to dislocate a shoulder. I wouldn't trade the tone or warmth, though. You'll love the fact that you have a slightly more mojo'ed slightly different from the pack Les Paul...enjoy!!

SteveB334

All Access/Backstage Pass
Wow great deal!!! Can u share any pics of it for us. I love wine red customs. Good luck with it