• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Most effective and easy to install locking tuners for a Les Paul ?

Scott Monroe

Im just toying with the idea of replacing the rotomatics on my les paul with a set of locking tuners. Ive no idea about which tuners I can replace the grovers with, with the least amount of hassle or drilling holes. Ive read that the grover 106 locking type are a bit fussy to use and can be a pain in the ass. Are there any quality drop in tuners that dont require any sizing work or hole drilling and work just great ? Your advice is most welcome and if you have any pics of the tuners installed, id love to view them.

shred

The only guitar I ever had with locking tuners -I think they were Sperzels- was a 73 strat.

When I got the guitar the tuners were already on it, but after using them for a year I ended up hunting down a vintage Fender F tuner set. The Sperzels left holes that had to be filled when I put the Fenders back on.

I honestly didn't notice any difference between the locking tuners and stock as far as the guitar staying in tune, or general performance.

rockpit

Gibson makes a locking tuner. It may be called a mini locking tuner, but I've seen'em somewhere.

dean69

yeah have the lockin tuner on the strats always - never came to my mind to put them on the pauls as well.

made the mistake to switch tuner on an old melody maker and on my 02 ebony standard from the green plastics to grover.

after all it felt like a r..pe to the guitar, would like to get back to the old types but now there are bigger holes to fit. sigh.

with the fender trem it makes sense to have the lockin tuner, the lp stays perfectly in tune if you have learned how to wind a string

just my 2 cents