• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fret wire on r9 vs r8

nuclearfishin

What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?

reswot

There is NO difference. They've used the same wire for a number of years.

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
What's the difference in fret wire between a 99 R9 and a 03 R8? Which one is more historically accurate?

The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.

nuclearfishin

The '99 will have the same taller and more narrow wire like the std. production guitars. That wire was used thru 2000. Then in 2001 the Custom Shop switched to the more accurate wire that they are still using in '09. But for all of the years of the reissues, no model in the same year would have different wire. So a '99 and a 2003 WOULD have different size fretwire.

That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?

R

R9.

Is there any chance that Gibson does use different size wire sometimes?
I know they're all the same but a few guys at the other forum kept insisting that some of their newer reissues have different size wire.

One guy said his (can't remember the exact year) 2005 R7 had thinner frets than his R9. One other guy said his R7BB has lower frets than his R8.

Every reissue I've played has had the same sized frets. Never played a '90s historic.

Black58

That makes sense, my 99 has much taller fretwire than my 2003. I like them both, I was just curious if one was more accurate than the other. Back in 1958 and 1959, did Gibson use the same size fretwire between those two years?

'58 into early '59 was smaller.