• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Keith Richards 59 Les Paul for sale

theo

I'd rather own Keiths LP Custom (or perhaps his Dan Armstrong).

Theo

strobe

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little there, but come on - compared to Zeppelin or even The Who, the guitar wasn't the focus of their songs, again with the exception of Mick Taylor's work. I'd put the Beatles in front of the Stones as far as being a guitar band. Then again, maybe I'm alone with that opinion. It's a fun subject to debate.

DEVILBAT

Ever hear "Satisfaction?" I guess that riff wasn't the "focus" of their song? "Brown Sugar?"
Did you know the Stones interviewed the following 4 people to replace BRIAN JONES?
1)Eric Clapton
2)Roy Buchanan
3)Rory Gallagher
4)Luther Allison

Before they "settled" for Mick Taylor.

strobe

Yeah, apparently the really good guitarists knew better than to join the band. Thank God Taylor finally joined. As far as Satisfaction goes, my 4 year-old can figure out that riff.

Mrjohnnythunders said:
Not buying that guitar because of the Bigsby would be like not buying one of Page's guitars because of his mods.
How 'bout not buying it because it's too damned expensive?

Seriously, I just don't like the Bigsbys looks. It ruins the look for me, and I really don't care that much about Keith Richards either.

Celebrity ownership of a guitar is neat, but not that big an issue for me. I've owned Gibsons (and Fenders for that matter) previously owned by the likes of Freddy King, Jeff Beck, Mick Taylor, Bugs Henderson, and others... and they don't sound or look any better than the ones which were owned by average Joes.

strobe said:
Yeah, apparently the really good guitarists knew better than to join the band. Thank God Taylor finally joined. As far as Satisfaction goes, my 4 year-old can figure out that riff.
He could probably play the lick on "Heart Full Of Soul", too. But THAT is another killer lick.
Same as Daytripper by the Beatles.

A great lick doesn't HAVE to be difficult to play... it just has to catch your ear, heart and soul. This crap about great guitar playing having to be impossible for others to play is BS. Great guitar playing is playing that makes people listen!

PatentAppliedFor

keefburst.jpg
what guitar is this? :

strobe

Ramrod:

You're right, it doesn't have to be difficult to be a cool riff. I guess I just never liked "Satisfaction" to begin with. It's way over-played. The Stones have many superior songs.

Biggles58

Hi PAF.The Les Paul that Keith has in the above photo is not the same guitar. I believe he acquired this one after the robbery at Nelcote in 1971.

DEVILBAT

And why no respect for Brian Jones, Ronnie Wood, and freaking Keith Richards? Brian Jones was a multi instrumentalist who was considered the LEADER of the Stones in their early years. Ronnie Wood is an absolutely wonderful guitarist and musician, playing great rock and roll guitar in the Faces and The Stones, and holding down the bass chores for the JEFF BECK GROUP!!!!
Keith would be considered great if just for his fuzz laced "Satisfaction" riff, his wonderful acoustic playing on "Beggars Banquet",the lead solo in "Tumbling Dice", and the wonderful way he turns the beat around in his solo on "Bitch." And then there is his great riff in "Brown Sugar." I could go on and on.
The Rolling Stones NOT a guitar band?
They are the BEST guitar band of all time. Period.

strobe

Best Guitar Band of all time? Well, I'm glad someone finally out-exaggerated me here. But yeah.....

sundaypunch

keto said:
Strobe, please don't take this personally but...historical significance, on a scale of 1-10, Keef's is probably a 9 and Green's is probably a 4. IMHO. For reference, Page's #1 would be a 10, for example. Even Boomfield's would outrank Green's, maybe a 5 or 6.

I might agree with those rankings from the perspective of a typical music fan. My thought would be that a 'burst buyer would probably rank both the Bloomfield and Green bursts well above Keiths guitar. :2cents

DEVILBAT

So, "old" makes a person or band irrelevant? Jeez, then Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Johnny Cash,Fred McDowell, Buddy Guy,Albert King, Otis Rush should have all just hung it up when they turned 35.
Your "old" point is ludicrous.
How about a real argument against the Stones being the ultimate guitar band? You can't do it.

strobe

I think turk was just being funny. Look, I said the Stones were not a guitar band, and you said they're the best guitar band ever. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. I love the Stones. As far as arguing about your point, I only have two words: Led Zeppelin.

DEVILBAT

Led Zeppelin was a wonderful band. But if you put all of their studio albums together, you have about 10 hours of music.
The Who, also wonderful. "Live at Leeds" is only rivaled by (guess who?) the Rolling Stones "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" as best live album EVER. However, they ceased being a great guitar band after the synthesiser ridden "Quadrophenia."
The Stones two guitar attack featured superior players in Jones,Richards,Taylor and Wood. They have played GUITAR ROCK for over 40 years. However, I will admit that they haven't produced a GREAT album since "Some Girls" some 25 (!) years ago. But "Beggars Banquet,""Exile on Main Street,""Sticky Fingers," Ya-Yas","It's only Rock and Roll""Let it Bleed" and even the underrated "Black and Blue" certify the Stones as the best guitar band of all time.

strobe said:
Ramrod:

You're right, it doesn't have to be difficult to be a cool riff. I guess I just never liked "Satisfaction" to begin with. It's way over-played. The Stones have many superior songs.
Me too, but that leadoff in Satisfaction IS pretty CLASSIC!

Myself, gimme:
19th Nervous Breakdown, Gimme Shelter, Happy, Midnight Rambler, Bitch, Ruby Tuesday, Street Fightin' Man, Brown Sugar, Sympathy for the Devil..... Tumbling Dice, When the whip comes down, Under my thumb...maybe a few I can't think of now.... Wild Horses....

Jethro Tull is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher on my list of great English Rock music!!!

strobe

I thought we were talking about quality, not quantity. Zeppelin's my choice for guitar band. Ozzy's probably second. Randy Rhoads was the greatest, IMO. Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green), Roy Buchanan's band and Rory Gallagher's band would rate as better guitar bands in my book than the Stones. But hey, everyone's got their own favorite. It's all subjective. Like I said, I love the Stones. Fool to Cry, Gimme Shelter, Angie, Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Time Waits for No One, One Hit to the Body, She was Hot, etc. will always be among my all time favorites. Rock On!