• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Uncle Lou's Tuner buttons new batch...!!!!

FLICKOFLASH

Les Paul Froum Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7345104181&fromMakeTrack=true

cb_1_b.JPG

Ad description :

They're Baaaaaack! After many years of people busting my chops for these, I've decided to run off another batch. All these years later, there are still no accurate replacement tips for 1950's Gibson tuners, which is the same reason I first ran these off seven years ago. Whether you're restoring a great vintage guitar or just dressing up your Historic, these are simply the best looking & most accurate replacement tips money can buy. I say get 'em while they're hot (off the press, literally), I really can't be bothered to ever do this again! I can be contacted at mail@unclelou.com if you need more info or installation instructions. Heck, for an extra $20, I'll even install them for you!
didn't i read the first batch were made in someones kitchen

<!-- End Description -->

Buzz

All Access/Backstage Pass
FLICKOFLASH said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7345104181&fromMakeTrack=true

cb_1_b.JPG

didn't i read the first batch were made in someones kitchen

<!-- End Description -->

Yeah, I remember reading that too, "made in some guy's kitchen", and than, "the later supplier's were not nearly as good". I still have the two sets I bought from the good batch before they were all gone. Maybe I'll buy a set of those and compare them, post pics. If he says they are just as good, I'd get a set. I just havn't installed them because I found out there wasn't anymore available. If these were going anywhere, I'd save them for some vintage single line Kluson's that the original buttons had crumbled. There is also an issue about installing them, I was daunted by the instructions. I looked at the auction, and I think it was $60.00 opening bid? For that much I'd hit the bin, but I don't think I'd pay more than that, but that's just me.

59Vampire

I have a set and they are beautiful cool swirlies a nice yellowish tint. Im afraid to install them so when I get thr right tuners ill bring em over to Lou.

adamzapple

I've got a set of Uncle Lou's locking tulip-style tuners. I don't have them installed though.

phil47uk

Quote.

'didn't i read the first batch were made in someones kitchen'

Sounds more like an add for one of Paul Newman's salad dressings...He forgot to mention his old pal Hotchner though. Whom if one is to believe what it says on the bottle had a 50% share in the recipe too.

Phil. :wha

tom wu

Well I just got 2 sets and they are really, really cool. :dude
I guess if someone here is loking for more than a replica button, then I'm afraid they will not be happy. For me, I 've gone through all types of crap to restore tuners. Including removing tips from brand new "less green" tuner sets, then ageing them -a total pain in the ass- In all, have yet to come accross any that look as real as these. They are by far the best of whats available.
Of course if money is an issue, allparts has the booger green version for more less.. :ahem
Now Lou; don't forget the check you promised me for this post ( kidding )

adamzapple

As I said, I have a set of Uncle Lou's locking tuners. I don't use them so if anyone wants the set they can have them for my cost.

roberto

I GRABBED TWO SETS AND INSTALLED A SET ON ONE OF MY 99 R9S AND THEY LOOK GREAT.DONT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING THEM ITS TIT.JUST CLAMP THE OLD ONES IN A VICE OR INSERT THE SHAFT THAT YOU ATTACH THE STRING TO IN A HOLE DRILLED INTO THE OUTER EDGE OF YOUR WORK BENCH AND HEAT THE SHAFT THE BUTTON IS ATTACHED TO AS CLOSE TO THE BUTTON AS YOU CAN GET,WHEN IT GETS HOT ENOUGH IT WILL SLIDE OFF WITH A BIT OF PRODDING FROM A NEDLE NOSE PLIER. THEN JUST FILE THE END A BIT UNTILL IT SLIPS ON.ID SEND A PIC. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW. R

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
tom wu said:
Of course if money is an issue, allparts has the booger green version for more less.. :ahem

:wtf

Do these look "booger green" to you? :roll
[real on the right, Allparts on the left]
917_p43054.jpg

tom wu

TW59 They look like I've not seen those..So I stand corrected, though judging only from the picture I still prefer like the uncles'.
I did order the "Elderly instruments" buttons for, like , 13.00 a set( yes, they finally got them in ) but can't say whether they pass the "coolness" test until I open the box. The fake 58s look great for an aged guitar but I was under the impression that fake58 does not sell just the buttons on those reissue tuners.

tom wu

I'll take 2!
I just realized that a while back, I needed some doublerings and npbody had those, except the green allparts. I know see there are many more choices available in the single ring type..and that's just not freakin fair!
So not to get off the subject to much, if any of you tuner connosseurs can tell me where to get double line buttons that aren't made nasal residue, I would be deeply indebted.

tom wu

ahh..that was "double ring" not "double line" buttons I'm hunting down. Sorry for the typo

tom wu

Buttons my good man, buttons! I'm only looking for the buttons this time but thanks. BTW you are right. I got the RS doublering tuners on my 65 es335 and they do look way better than most others.

tom wu

By the way, I took a picture of Uncle Lous next to the new Elderly instrument buttons. I gotta say that the E.I buttons aren't bad but they do not even come close to resembling what E.I shows on their website! If anyone wants to host the picture, you know the drill. I got my own "aging" technique ( uncle wu's?) that will be applied to the EI but the uncles' buttons look pretty danged good.